Are High end Shoes worth the extra cash or just a waste?
Aug 1, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 64
Sneakers no. When I was 9/10 I began to collect shoes that weren't even too comfortable cause I thought they were cool
rolleyes.gif
. Now I kick around in some reeboks that are the proper size (I have trouble admitting my real shoe size casue I'm rather small, an 5-6 depending on the cut, in this case a 5, it's an nice snug fit.)

For dress shoes, I'de say so, after all, people are going to be looking at your shoes and you want something comfortable. At the same time, you can probably find some good looking dress shoes that look expensive cheap, and nobody is looking at a label inside your shoe for a name unless it's printed outside.

And for shoes just to wear around the house and outside or whatever when your not running ot going to an wedding or something, then I'de say it depends. Comfort will be the ultimate factor, so if you find a pair of shoes or whatever for $400 that are more comfortable then anything else you've ever worn and they are built strong to last a long time, then I'de say yes. If your buying a shoe for it's name, I'de say no.

Overall, I'de say no, you can generally find a well-built shoe with good comfort for a lot less then an expensive name will cost.

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 64
For walking/casual shoes, yes (generally). Women seem to judge men by their shoes, and each others shoes. Also, it's a health investment because they'll protect you from back pain, etc. if you're buying the right kind. Good shoes will also last longer and be more comfortable.

This is assuming that you are buying a "better" shoe rather than an overpriced one. Your mileage may vary, literally. The more walking and standing you do, the more you'll appreciate good shoes, especially as you get older.
tongue.gif

For athletic shoes, they should be appropriate for you individually (e.g. fit, pronation control, cushioning, etc.) and for the sport you intend to play. If you just want $300 basketball shoes for walking around malls, then you are wasting your money.

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 64
I bought a pair of Rockpost casual dress shoes and I ended up hurting my ankle walking around in them. They still looked new, but I threw them away.
I couldn't go running for a while because my foot was bothering me.

So, if I find a pair a shoes that are comfortable to me. I am willing to spend the extra money so I don't have to go through that again.

The brand that I like now, and I bought 2 pairs recently are ECCO.
Very comfortable and they feel broken in on the first day you wear them.

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #19 of 64
Aldo arent worth it in my opinion, for a 80-100. Although I know a few people that can give 50% off, which makes it worth it. Running shoes are shoes that I would drop a lot of money on.

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 64
I only wear skate shoes casually, and they range from $55-85. But because I have a flat foot, I got special running shoes and those were like $200. But I could never see myself spending money on those stupid Air Force Ones or anything like that. Theyre butt ugly anyway.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 64
Question about dress shoes...

Are wingtips still in style? This has been a debate with my wife for a while now. I've got a pair that I love, and don't think they've passed their time. However, I'm not on the cutting edge of mens fashion either.

Any opinions?

-Jeff

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #22 of 64
I don't think there even is a cutting edge for mens fashion. Most men, including myself (well teen) only buy clothes when we need them. So go ahead wear them. No one will even know.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #23 of 64
like these
3832-266863-d.jpg

biggrin.gif

these will never go out of style
allen115811_58355_lg.jpg

i have two pairs of real shoes(bostonian black dress, nun bush brown), 1 pair boots(georgia), and 3 of sneakers(reebok classic, adidas country, nike cross trainers).

shoes that need to be repaired, to much work.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #24 of 64
I dig the two pairs of Allen Edmonds I have, got one pair new for $189.99 (sale, normally priced at $295)...and another slightly used pair for $109 off ebay. They are worlds better quality than the ~$100 stuff I have bought in the past.

Though to be honest I really dig a $50 pair (outlet) of Bostonian's I got last spring. The construction is totally cheap in comparison, but they look good and are reasonable comfortable (not as comfy as the AE's, but good enough).

I really dig dress shoes, but my office does not require them and with summer upon us, I have sort of retired them to the closet, except for occasionally nice dinners and what not. During the fall/winter/early spring I wear them everyday to work and personally think they are more comfy (more supportive) than sneakers.

Examples:

Bostonian ($50 from outlet, retail $109, Made in India)
Bostonian.jpg

Allen Edmonds ($110 from eBay, retail $295, Made in USA)
Byron.jpg

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #25 of 64
i personally like bally's dress shoes but you need to get sole guards right away cause the hell is made from real wood and cant take the pounding of cement. i guess they were made for people who go from their plush car to a carpeted surface

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #26 of 64
I enjoy my Mephistos so much I've accumulated 10/12 pair. Remember your feet are the basis for understanding, many things are revealed with the proper shoe.

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #27 of 64
Awesome, another Mephisto owner. I've heard Ecco is another comfy great shoe.
But, what does the orig poster mean by high end, does he want style over function?
Because those Madison Ave shoe boutiques will have high end shoes and depending on what you do for a living may last anywhere from a month to years.
I know an ad man who bought one of these shoes and wore through the sole in a month from pounding the pavement, meanwhile, the Pres of the company who recommended the shoe brand, his pair is going strong.
Is it because he always takes cabs and rarely walk a block?

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #28 of 64
I guess I'm a woman in comfortable shoes. I won't wear them if they aren't super-duper-comfy, and if they aren't, they don't deserve to exist.
wink.gif

So yeah, not really a girly-girl, I can't even walk in high heels and don't feel I should have to.
biggrin.gif

I don't mind dropping some coin for a pair of shoes, but they have to earn it. My three favorite brands are: for trainers - New Balance, for sandals, clogs, and winter shoes - Keen, and I have a pair of Bite sandals that are ugly as sin, but are smaller than the Keens and are very comfy. The Bites are usually for people with foot problems, but those people usually know from comfort, so I take their reviews seriously.
smily_headphones1.gif

And of course not one of my favorite brands is sold here, only New Balance in a very limited kind of way. I've sworn off Ecco because they have a different idea of what a woman's medium width foot is. It's the only brand where my foot is no longer a medium width, and any other width is tough to find locally. So I don't bother and just go with brands that can do the comfort, quality, and looks ratio better than Ecco.

As for Mephisto, they have a strong following (not found locally, I don't think, but that's nothing new), and I'd like see sometime what the hype is all about.

I also had a pair of Justin Ropers that, while not having the padding of my other shoes, could be worn for a day at the stables or the show ring in complete comfort.

Aug 3, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 64
For sneakers I just wear cheap clearance ones from Kohls or something.

I really enjoy my Birkenstock sandals though. I think it was well worth the $100 because they are so comfortable and healthy for your feet. They last a really long time, too.

I just bought one pair of Gucci dress shoes to look nice at interviews, social events, etc. But I rarely do those kinds of things. They aren't the most comfortable shoes so YMMV.

I use my Birkenstocks the most often so I think high-end casual is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back