Are High end Shoes worth the extra cash or just a waste?
Aug 4, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #31 of 64
I second Birkenstock Footprints for comfort. Check out www.zappos.com .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit

I really enjoy my Birkenstock sandals though. I think it was well worth the $100 because they are so comfortable and healthy for your feet. They last a really long time, too.

I use my Birkenstocks the most often so I think high-end casual is worth it.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #32 of 64
My problem with birks, and why I'd choose Keen over them, is that while they form to your feet, they offer zero shock absorption, so they're basically only good for short trips out. That and those styles with the cork footbeds just rub my feet absolutely raw if I'm walking in them for a day. Completely worthless POS. They're just rolling along on Brand awareness IMO.

Doc Marten, Earth (original Earth, not the ones in Wal-Mart), Bite, Merrell, and Keen all do sandals better than Birkenstock, from my experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #33 of 64
Have you tried Birkenstock's soft footbed?

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Have you tried Birkenstock's soft footbed?

Yes, the footsteps or whatever it's called? My husband has a pair, and we're the same foot size - don't know if that means his feet are tiny or mine are huge or what, but yeah, they form to the feet, and I assume they wouldn't rub them raw, but they just don't have the support of a good pair of Keens or Earths, or Bites.

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Yes, the footsteps or whatever it's called? My husband has a pair, and we're the same foot size - don't know if that means his feet are tiny or mine are huge or what, but yeah, they form to the feet, and I assume they wouldn't rub them raw, but they just don't have the support of a good pair of Keens or Earths, or Bites.

There are two types of footbeds. The regular (hard one) and the soft one (feels like your feet are on velvet).

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #36 of 64
My first pair of work shoes was a pair of black Bostonian penny loafers. Those babies lasted me 3 years, and probably went in for resoling 7 times (i tend to kill my shoes since i walk and commute to work). They were great and fit like a glove.

My next pair (and the pair I still use) i did my homework on, and i've had them for 2 and a half years now. Gucci "Stirrup" loafers are built like a tank. Again, nice and wide, unlike other HORRIBLE italian shoes like the narrow Alfanis and the like, and I've resoled them, hmm, about 4 times now. It's always the heel that goes first, even if i put taps in, but these Guccis never complain. It's a classic design that hasn't let me down yet!
P920169.jpg

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #37 of 64
I've been Using cheapy vans whenever its muddy or wet or whatever. They dont have laces anymore, I use zipties and just slip me feet in. they look a lot like these:
1733-192175-d.jpg

they were cheap (like $20) they arent very comfy, hard to walk in if I will be moving a large distance and forget about running in them.

I wear my Doc martins whenever I can, they're much more comfy, and they support my feet much better. they're heavy though:
985-159919-d.jpg

they were a bit more expensive though, like $85 but well worth it.

so yeah I think more expensive shoes can be worth it but there is a point of diminishing returns. wear that point lies changes a lot from person to person depending on taste and use (hey that sound a lot like audio)

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #38 of 64
Hi-end leather shoes are worth it...especially if they are made by a known bespoke tailor. Leather that is hi quality ages really well and can last a very long time if you take proper care of it. Some brands that i like are artioli, berluti and the ridicously expensive guild of crafts.

However from my experience, alot of the more expensive designer brands such as gucci are poor quality and totally not worth it. Though there are a few exceptions.

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #39 of 64
[sarcasm]
Only with appropriate high-end socks those shoes will reach their potential. Badly recorded... oops, I mean, badly made socks can make the best shoes feel like cr$ap. Moreover, the floor is equally important. A high-quality floor will make your shoes shine and feel sublime. A poorly made floor will make your shoes feel bumpy, rough, screetchy, sloppy, they can start sounding squeaky and sibilant. Synergy is a most important aspect of wearing and enjoying high-end shoes.

Go to a shoe meet, make sure you bring with you some socks you really like. Try several shoes, ask the opinions of the veterans, the "golden feet", they can provide really good advice taking into account your interests and applications.

Welcome to Shoe-fi, and sorry about your wallet
wink.gif
[/sarcasm]

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #40 of 64
I guess I'm the only one that is happy with $30 slip-ons? I consider anything more then $60 on shoes to be expensive. My pair of hemp addidas was $75, and well.. I thought it was a waste.

Aug 5, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #41 of 64

[there should be a photo above, apparently their site goes down late at night...]

I've been considering these for a while now. Once I get the cashier's check for my HF-1's, I might be more proned to buying them. Not sure though. I really dig cap toes, like the ones I posted on the previous page though...so maybe not.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
I guess I'm the only one that is happy with $30 slip-ons? I consider anything more then $60 on shoes to be expensive. My pair of hemp addidas was $75, and well.. I thought it was a waste.

You were supposed to smoke the addidas not wear them, that's why they were $75.

Aug 5, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

My next pair (and the pair I still use) i did my homework on, and i've had them for 2 and a half years now. Gucci "Stirrup" loafers are built like a tank. Again, nice and wide, unlike other HORRIBLE italian shoes like the narrow Alfanis and the like, and I've resoled them, hmm, about 4 times now. It's always the heel that goes first, even if i put taps in, but these Guccis never complain. It's a classic design that hasn't let me down yet!
P920169.jpg

I have that type of shoe too!

Aug 5, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #44 of 64
it depends on the situation. you might have to wear nice shoes to look dressy for your job.

but your normal, every day kickaround shoes should be like tires.

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
You were supposed to smoke the addidas not wear them, that's why they were $75.

I tried to, but the black dye caused Black Lung when I inhaled it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back