Are High end Shoes worth the extra cash or just a waste?
Aug 5, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #46 of 64
I suppose if they truly are "high end". I paid $220 for some Floorsheims last year and they feel apart in 9 months! I don't know what happened to that company. But personally, I normally limit myself to $60. I think anymore than that is a bit extravagant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
My first pair of work shoes was a pair of black Bostonian penny loafers. Those babies lasted me 3 years, and probably went in for resoling 7 times (i tend to kill my shoes since i walk and commute to work). They were great and fit like a glove.

My favorite shoe. But I agree about the heel. I'm actually amazed with these ugly (ugly to me, some friends seem to like them. Just not my style, I guess) Dr. Sholl's I bought at Walmart for $30. Some kind of magic heel that I, the great heel killer, haven't been able to wear out after six months. Maybe they finally made a synthetic right. And these things are just like feathers on your feet.

Aug 5, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #47 of 64
hmmmm personally, i tend to wear doc martens shoes, boots and sandals. Not sure if anyone would consider them high end, but they've become my favorite brand of shoes ever.

I first got boots for work and they have been the most comfy boots i've ever worn. The steel toe is a nice addition.
191911021.jpg

For casual, everyday use, i have these
smily_headphones1.gif

80928x015.jpg

Keep in mind, i've had the boots for about 4-5 years and my sandals for at least 3. The sandals, i know there are copycats of that design made by other companies, but they fell apart in less than 6 months. The sandals i have now, i havent had to take them in to get patched up ever.

Aug 5, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #48 of 64
For boardroom or upper level management type environment I say go for it. I personally love the Allen Edmonds line and have been buying them for the last 20 years or so. Yes they are expensive at almost $300 a pair.

However they can be resole multiple of times (5 to 6 is not uncommon) which brings the price to a very reasonable $75 when you include the S&H. By the way the key to long lasting shoes is to allow them to dry between uses. In other words do not use the same shoes two days in a row.

Good luck.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain

[there should be a photo above, apparently their site goes down late at night...]

I've been considering these for a while now. Once I get the cashier's check for my HF-1's, I might be more proned to buying them. Not sure though. I really dig cap toes, like the ones I posted on the previous page though...so maybe not.

say it aint so!
eek.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
say it aint so!
eek.gif

Shoes are more useful than headphones!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Shoes are more useful than headphones!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

VR6ofpain, when looking for high end shoes you may want to do a quick search on the yellow pages for factory second stores (not an outlet). I was able to find Allen Edmonds and Murphys for about half the price and you could not tell the difference from the ones at the retail store. Good luck.

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
VR6ofpain, when looking for high end shoes you may want to do a quick search on the yellow pages for factory second stores (not an outlet). I was able to find Allen Edmonds and Murphys for about half the price and you could not tell the difference from the ones at the retail store. Good luck.

Ya I am aware of this. Unfortunately I have a less common shoe size (11.5 US). Seems half sizes are not found in large numbers. The Rack (Nordstrom's outlet) actually had some AE's that looked brand new for $129 (retail for $295), but they didn't have any styles I liked, nor did they have any 11.5's. I actually like the Bostonian and Johnston Murphy outlets. They look like normal stores, with the same service, except the shoes are all ~50% off

I have never bought any of my shoes at full retail, it is not worth it. There are always deals to be found.

Now I am starting to think I might need to get a pair of used MS2's instead of shoes...mostly because I am sick with the disease called headfitus. It is really expensive to treat.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #53 of 64
I've been shopping for a nice pair of dress shoes. All of the cheapo ones felt awful / didn't fit well, and even some of the more expensive ones still felt bad. I ended up getting a kids size pair of Eccos (beautiful and very comfortable for a dress shoe) for $110.

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I've been shopping for a nice pair of dress shoes. All of the cheapo ones felt awful / didn't fit well, and even some of the more expensive ones still felt bad. I ended up getting a kids size pair of Eccos (beautiful and very comfortable for a dress shoe) for $110.

I second that. Ecco rocks for dress shoes, formal/stylish yet VERY comfy.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #55 of 64
Once again in answer to this thread, yes...BUT you gotta look for the deals. I just got these of eBay for 41% of what I would have payed for them at a retailer (even less if I don't include shipping). The only difference is they have been tried on, so there are a few scuffs on the leather bottom (not even worn outside, just around the store). I could care less because they will have way more ware than that after one day of actual wear, so it is like buying a new car with ~100 miles. It isn't exactly 'brand new', but for all intents and purposes it is.
cb_1.JPG

5b_1.JPG

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #56 of 64
I think expensive clothes and shoes are just like any other investment/hobby: it's all about finding the right balance of value for your money. I have some Steve Madden black leather dress shoes that I've preferred in terms of comfort and even looks to many far more expensive pairs. On the other hand, I've bought Nike basketball shoes that cost twice as much as those Steve Maddens that have total crap build quality, and not much better support for my feet. I've also bought a pair of $65 Diesel flip flops. Sounds extreme, right? Most durable, and one of the most supporting shoes, period, flip flop or otherwise, that I've owned; taken an unbelievable beating from walking, dogs, weather, mud, water, the New York streets, and are still with me.

As far as "normal" shoes, I'm all about Bed.Stu:

Wafer---Blk-Vint.jpg

Harley-blkvintage.jpg

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
I guess I'm the only one that is happy with $30 slip-ons?

seconded. these are my get-up n go shoes. no laces, no problem.

but i'm in the lookout for at least one pair of dress/semi-casual shoes.

these are nice:
picture1cu0.png

also in black too
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #58 of 64
VR6ofpain is right on with buying shoes off eBay. I do it regularly and save 70%-90% off retail. Everyone worries about the size, but I took my best-fitting pair of shoes and measured them inside and out with calipers and a ruler.

Many listings have the measurement as well as the size, so I can compare them directly to what I know is a perfect fit. And if the measurements aren't listed, ask the seller to measure them for you. Most of them are happy to.

Since I've been doing this, I've been batting 100% on fit. My latest score was a pair of new $800 Cheaney boots for $120. They fit like a glove and I could not be any happier with them.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
VR6ofpain is right on with buying shoes off eBay. I do it regularly and save 70%-90% off retail. Everyone worries about the size, but I took my best-fitting pair of shoes and measured them inside and out with calipers and a ruler.

Many listings have the measurement as well as the size, so I can compare them directly to what I know is a perfect fit. And if the measurements aren't listed, ask the seller to measure them for you. Most of them are happy to.

Since I've been doing this, I've been batting 100% on fit. My latest score was a pair of new $800 Cheaney boots for $120. They fit like a glove and I could not be any happier with them.

I actually only buy when I know the brand and how they fit. So far they have all fit perfectly. The prices are right on too.
The New Hotness:
DSCF0074.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back