Are (High-end) Custom IEMs Overrated?
Jul 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #346 of 467
Quote:
I know my Jh16's are night and day better than my Klipsch C3 or ie8, and they fit like a glove, I know I can tell the difference, every instrument every note is perfectly separated, the air and dynamics ete breathtaking, for people who never heard a top of the line custom IEM, I understand trying to justify the high cost of quality customs, so by putting them down is much easier than actually spending money on a pair, I know I will never have to buy a universal IEM again, and if my hard earned dollars itch for another IEM, it will be a custom.

You still seem to have the need to come and post on this thread and convince the world you are right. I (and others) have replied to some of your posts. Seeing that you haven't read all posts in this thread (as I suggested), some of which were written by members who have actually heard "a top of the line custom IEM", you want to keep at it and keep conveniently ignoring such posts. I already suggested a couple of times that you start your own JH16 thread where you tell the world just how unique the JH16s are - I'm sure some JH16 owners will happily join you there. Yet you keep coming back to this thread for 'no apparent reason'. What's your latest contribution to this thread? What are you saying now that you haven't said (more vehemently) before?

BTW, today I received my Sony MDR-7550. Let me remind you that I decided to spend over $1,200 in 4 universal IEMs in the last 4 months instead of getting a so-called "top of the line custom IEM" because I think such customs are overrated. And let me remind you that some still consider the $850 custom Westone ES3X (which I own) to be "a top of the line custom IEM".  But others with the JH13, JH16, ES5, UE18 have posted here too.

For those members (and visitors alike) who are not aware of some of cybertec69's previous posts on this thread, here they are (see below). I strongly suggest you click on the green arrow (next to the member's screen name) which will directly take you to each of cybertec69's posts; once there, you'll be able to see some of the replies he/she received. cybertec69 seems to keep wanting to ignore what some other people have had to say.

Quote:
Reason custom IEM's are costly is because they are CUSTOM MADE to each individual " not mass produced" with way better drivers and crossover networks, Custom IEM's are like the Ferrari, Porsche " just perfect" in in ear headphones, all the universals are like an American Corvette " nice and fast, but still has it's flaws" I have owned quite a few universal IEM's and none come even close to my JH16's, if you never heard a quality custom IEM you should really stay away from commenting since you really have no idea what they sound like, you want the best, you must pay for the best, and for the people who cry about the price of custom IEM's, do yourself a favor, stop buying all these different universals "waste of money" save up, brown bag it for lunch, and cut back on a few other unnecessary expenditures, like hundreds spend on a tab at the bar for a few months:) , then go get your custom IEM's, it will be the last in ear headphone yo will EVER purchase.

Quote:
Like I said, do not comment if you have never experienced a quality custom IEM. If you haven't means you can't compare, and since you can't compare you should not comment. It's like someone saying, coca cola is better than Pepsi, even though they have never tasted Pepsi.

Quote:
I can understand how some people can't fathom how much better custom IEM's can be do to the sheer cost associated with custom IEM's, heck, it took me quite some time to convince myself to go that route, and let me tell you I am glad that I did, I will never again spend another one of my hard earned dollars on a universal IEM, until you actually experience the sheer sonic pleasure of a quality custom IEM, then you will never know, all I know is that my JH16's make any universal IEM sound weak in comparison, and I own universal IEM's, Klipsch custom 3's which I still like and listen to on certain occasions, or Senheiser ie8, but once I plug in those JH16's into my ear canals, I can tell what I am missing, and that is pure audio bliss.   

Quote:
You will be shocked how much better the JH16's will be compared to your Shures, pretty much night and day difference, then you will ask yourself, why did I wait this long to go this route, and then, why did I just waste all this money on these Shures:), and it's not a 10% increase in quality, that is coming from people who wish they could buy a pair of JH16's, but can't, don't pay mind, trust me, your ears will let you know RIGHT AWAY it was a wise choice, your search for the perfect IEM has ENDED, so in the long run, you are saving money, by not wanting to try anything else, thinking that you are missing something, your search is OVER.

Quote:
In regards to sound signature, the thing is the music will sound the way it was MEANT to sound, no colored or over-hyped with base treble mid and the sort, all you will hear is just pure clean sonic bliss. All instruments will sound like they are finally in their right place, with detail and clarity you can not experience with the most expensive universal IEM's. Hearing is believing.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #347 of 467

Quote:
Quote:
I know my Jh16's are night and day better than my Klipsch C3 or ie8, and they fit like a glove, I know I can tell the difference, every instrument every note is perfectly separated, the air and dynamics ete breathtaking, for people who never heard a top of the line custom IEM, I understand trying to justify the high cost of quality customs, so by putting them down is much easier than actually spending money on a pair, I know I will never have to buy a universal IEM again, and if my hard earned dollars itch for another IEM, it will be a custom.

You still seem to have the need to come and post on this thread and convince the world you are right. I (and others) have replied to some of your posts. Seeing that you haven't read all posts in this thread (as I suggested), some of which were written by members who have actually heard "a top of the line custom IEM", you want to keep at it and keep conveniently ignoring such posts. I already suggested a couple of times that you start your own JH16 thread where you tell the world just how unique the JH16s are - I'm sure some JH16 owners will happily join you there. Yet you keep coming back to this thread for 'no apparent reason'. What's your latest contribution to this thread? What are you saying now that you haven't said (more vehemently) before?

BTW, today I received my Sony MDR-7550. Let me remind you that I decided to spend over $1,200 in 4 universal IEMs in the last 4 months instead of getting a so-called "top of the line custom IEM" because I think such customs are overrated. And let me remind you that some still consider the $850 custom Westone ES3X (which I own) to be "a top of the line custom IEM".  But others with the JH13, JH16, ES5, UE18 have posted here too.

For those members (and visitors alike) who are not aware of some of cybertec69's previous posts on this thread, here they are (see below). I strongly suggest you click on the green arrow (next to the member's screen name) which will to take you directly to each post; once there, you'll be able to see some of the replies cybertec69 received. cybertec69 seems to keep wanting to ignore what some other people had to say.

rolleyes.gif

This could have been a good thread IMO but seems more about individuals agendas rather than opinions.  Unsubsribed.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #348 of 467

^ I've always hoped for an open discussion on this thread. I was hoping that not too many customs fanboys would just pop in and declare: "My customs destroy all universal IEMs" Also, I didn't want the opposite: "Customs suck, they're a total rip-off, my iBuds sound as good as my JH13s" But, as I stated on my opening post, I do think for the most part, and for most people, customs are overrated, and I'm willing to discuss the issue (and try not to argue) and defend my views trying to avoid mere opinions as much as possible .

If there's a fairly real & honest discussion, not only will this thread prove more useful to other members (and visitors), but it will not get exceedingly long as so many threads do, specially by the contributions of those posters who just come here saying "Well, you haven't  heard the JH16/JH13/ES5/UE18 (or any other similarly priced custom). What do you know?". "My customs blow all universals out of the water". I've already given some of the reasons why I personally think (many) people will make such statements.

Seems some people are not willing to read beyond the last few posts (or beyond the first few posts on page one of this thread). I think there are some very interesting & valid posts to be found. I guess, perhaps, only people who are on the fence about purchasing a set of customs may actually spend a bit longer on this thread.

That said, feel free to unsubscribe.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #349 of 467

Quote:

^ I've always hoped for an open discussion on this thread. I was hoping that not too many customs fanboys would just pop in and declare: "My customs destroy all universal IEMs" Also, I didn't want the opposite: "Customs suck, they're a total rip-off, my iBuds sound as good as my JH13s" But, as I stated on my opening post, I do think for the most part, and for most people, customs are overrated, and I'm willing to discuss the issue (and try not to argue) and defend my views trying to avoid mere opinions as much as possible .

If there's a fairly real & honest discussion, not only will this thread prove more useful to other members (and visitors), but it will not get exceedingly long as so many threads do, specially by the contributions of those posters who just come here saying "Well, you haven't  heard the JH16/JH13/ES5/UE18 (or any other similarly priced custom). What do you know?". "My customs blow all universals out of the water". I've already given some of the reasons why I personally think (many) people will make such statements.

Seems some people are not willing to read beyond the last few posts (or beyond the first few posts on page one of this thread). I think there are some very interesting & valid posts to be found. I guess, perhaps, only people who are on the fence about purchasing a set of customs may actually spend a bit longer on this thread.

That said, feel free to unsubscribe.

For whatever I can contribute from my limited listening experience, top of the line universal IEMs such as the SE530s, Triple Fi 10s, ER4s, without equalization sound like CHEAP TOYS compared to customs like JH16 Pro. And it really all comes down to passive crossover tuning.

If you equalize you can still save the farm, but let me tell you that being pulling out this kind of clarity and dynamic range throughout the entire frequency spectrum without touching the equalizer, is a feature that no universal IEM I've heard until now has achieved.

I was extremely satisfied with my equalized SE530s, and once I put on the JH16s I almost had a weird feeling like "this sounds different, but I'm not sure it's better different", because I was so used the SE530s that my ears took that as the "reference". Then after a week of listening, I tried the SE530s again. I laughed, took them off, and unplugged them after 30 seconds.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #350 of 467
I don't get it why "some" posters in this forum get really touchy, all I stated in my posts was my OPINION, I still like my universals, but my customs are just that much better. I am not here to argue with anyone, just stating my opinion, whoever does not like it, don't respond, that's all, just don't get bent out of shape over a comment.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #351 of 467

Quote:

If you equalize you can still save the farm, but let me tell you that being pulling out this kind of clarity and dynamic range throughout the entire frequency spectrum without touching the equalizer, is a feature that no universal IEM I've heard until now has achieved.

Huh?  Universal or custom this point just doesn't matter.  They all could use EQ to whatever the individual's preference is against the base (flat eq) of what the IEM sounds like.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #352 of 467

Quote:

For whatever I can contribute from my limited listening experience, top of the line universal IEMs such as the SE530s, Triple Fi 10s, ER4s, without equalization sound like CHEAP TOYS compared to customs like JH16 Pro. And it really all comes down to passive crossover tuning.

I was extremely satisfied with my equalized SE530s, and once I put on the JH16s I almost had a weird feeling like "this sounds different, but I'm not sure it's better different", because I was so used the SE530s that my ears took that as the "reference". Then after a week of listening, I tried the SE530s again. I laughed, took them off, and unplugged them after 30 seconds.

Disagree....  I found the JH16s to need EQ, I tried them with a Cowon J3 on "flat" and I did not get a "wow" effect...   turned on the EQ & then I got the "wow" effect.  But I EQ everything so my 2 cents may be worth less than 2 cents.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #354 of 467

Quote:
      Disagree....  I found the JH16s to need EQ, I tried them with a Cowon J3 on "flat" and I did not get a "wow" effect...   turned on the EQ & then I got the "wow" effect.  But I EQ everything so my 2 cents may be worth less than 2 cents.

I don't use the EQ on my Cowon S9, and I found that the EQ makes things sound weird with my JH16. Initially it's a "wow" effect but it wears off quickly with all the sibilance and heavy bass that comes with the EQ. My PC -> RSA Hornet -> JH16 on the other hand sounds better than my Cowon S9 on BBE/EQ, without all the problems of EQ. I definitely do not prefer EQ'ing my JH16's, and EQ'ing in general is not something I do.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #355 of 467
First, one would have to develop a deffinition or criteria as to what "over rated" is and I think the deffinition would be different for every individual. As for me, I think that a CIEM should look as good as it sounds and I do not think a non-custom IEM can match this criteria. For me, the CIEMs I build, offers a visual and acoustical "wow" effect.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 15, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #356 of 467

There is a very long thread about EQ or not to EQ, do as you please, and I will continue to do so too. For me the JH16, offered no WOW effect and in fact it offered a.... "What's the big deal" effect.  Kind of, the expectations due to the hype did not meet the performance type feeling. But I am around customs a lot, so maybe I have just become accustomed to them. 
Seriously the Monster Copper series gave me a "wow" effect, and I think mostly because I was amazed that a dynamic driver could do all that it was doing, and I had heard little hype about that particular product and I had low expectations for that particular product....   so when I listened to them, I was pleasanlty surprised.  Then again, I did EQ them....  (an act of blasphemy)

Quote:
I don't use the EQ on my Cowon S9, and I found that the EQ makes things sound weird with my JH16. Initially it's a "wow" effect but it wears off quickly with all the sibilance and heavy bass that comes with the EQ. My PC -> RSA Hornet -> JH16 on the other hand sounds better than my Cowon S9 on BBE/EQ, without all the problems of EQ. I definitely do not prefer EQ'ing my JH16's, and EQ'ing in general is not something I do.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #357 of 467
Wow.   There is no comparison to SE530.   

"Are (High-end) Custom IEMs Overrated?"  as it applies to the JH16,  No.

Quote:
I want you to come back and quote me, because I guarantee you will go "Wow" when you listen to the JH16 and realize how much better they are than what you've heard so far.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #358 of 467
Jul 16, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #360 of 467
Ok, so everyone has specific tastes. There's no real correct or ideal sound signature so to speak, since we all have sonic preferences. When someone EQ's an IEM they are essentially tuning it to their ideal sound, or what they believe to be accurate. What would make a really interesting comparison is say, an EQ's Westone 4 vs an EQ'd ES5, JH16 etc. EQ'd to the same sort of ideal, you'd get a better understanding of how the merits of the technical differences themselves lay.

I will say that just from my SE535 vs W4 comparison experience, you simply cannot EQ them to sound the same. The IEM's have altogether different properties, strengths and weaknesses, and whilst EQ'ing can draw them closer to one's personal ideal, and make them sound slightly more similar, they still sound very different. Bass impact, high sparkle, soundstage etc, some things just cannot be replicated. IEM's have personal tonal and sonic qualities that are unique to them irrespective of EQ'ing, so I know in advance (using common sense) that the JH16 Pro for example, could never sound exactly like the W4 or vice versa through EQ'ing. The question is however, how different is the quality of sound post EQ'ing, and which does what better than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back