Quote:

Originally Posted by Duheed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha you just contradicted yourself within the same sentence

Uh . . . it was a joke.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh . . . it was a joke.

See! The communications problems are already starting! I think I'm going to put my IEMs in so I don't have to hear you guys bickering!
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #18 of 58
me? anti-social?? cors not!! i got 5875 friends on myspace!!!

that was a joke.

But seriously, my sister hates it when i put on my iems on family trips and gatherings, its like im putting a "do not disturb" sign on me.

I guess head-fiers are more private people than most, but that doesnt necessarily equate to being anti-social

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 58
I really dislike it when people misuse the term "anti-social". I doubt that many Head-Fiers suffer from ASPD as defined in either the DSM or ICD diagnostic criteria.

That being said, I've never been in a situation where someone has been wearing leaky headphones around me. There aren't many headphone users around here.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 58
Recently I've seen a lot worse (music related) anti-social behavior than open headphones.
Kids around these here parts have taken to playing music through their phones speakers while walking around. is is extremely irritating.

Nothing beats the guy i a on the underground though. Playing Eagles through his laptop & singing along! This was more comical than annoying though.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 58
It depends on how much sound leaks. My SR-80s are horrible in that sense and I would never listen to them on public transit. My DT880s? Maybe. You shouldn't have to have the volume as high as possible to enjoy the music, that's for sure.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 58
I think consideration for others is tricky now a days.

Today, you see people constantly talking on their cell phones, even when they are spending time with another person.

How many times have you gone to a cafe or even a restaurant, you see two people at a table. One person fidgets, looks around, bored.... because the other person is busy talking on his cell phone.

I rarely ever hear, hi this is (name) speaking. I'm sorry I'm with someone right now can I call you back. No its gab gab gab, so the other person sits for 5-10 minutes feeling completely ignored.

I have noticed if I am with a girl, she will tend to either shut off cell phone or say not now. Of course the girls I choose to hang with aren't the type who think cell phones are their best friend. (Ex. See phone as a tool, not as the latest fashion statement)

I have noticed with guy friends, they tend to ignore you and talk on the cell phone.

I guess if socially we are moving towards where consideration is not a factor, then why not. Use your open air headphones in public.

For me, if its an active area. Meaning there is a lot of conversation around, like on school campus at local student hang outs. I see why not, its not like I can't hear 50 different conversations going on.

Although if I am in a quiet situation, at a library, I'll take off the open air and listen to it off my head and adjust it until its a level that others around won't be disturbed. Plus while I'm studying, I prefer my music low. I want music, but I just want it background. I'm sure you know what I mean. But I'd prefer to have closed headphones in this situation though.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dislike it when people misuse the term "anti-social". I doubt that many Head-Fiers suffer from ASPD as defined in either the DSM or ICD diagnostic criteria.

That being said, I've never been in a situation where someone has been wearing leaky headphones around me. There aren't many headphone users around here.

I really dislike it when people misuse the term "leaky." I doubt many Head-Fiers have headphones that are leaky as defined by either the Uniform Plumbing Code, IAPMO or the International Plumbing Code, ICC.

Just having fun with you Piccolo. My new mission in life is to make you less serious.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dislike it when people misuse the term "leaky." I doubt many Head-Fiers have headphones that are leaky as defined by either the Uniform Plumbing Code, IAPMO or the International Plumbing Code, ICC.

Just having fun with you Piccolo. My new mission in life is to make you less serious.

lol

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #25 of 58
There have been many good comments in this thread. Very interesting. Any sociologist would eat this up.
wink.gif

Social awareness & courtesy is an interesting topic. Many people do not want complete isolation from their surroundings, yet do like to hear their music as a backdrop to their world. Some may be listening to an audiobook, or something akin to that, and again not want complete isolation.

In public, I think the only situations where good isolation is very appropriate would be the library and public transportation. In the former, you don't want to disturb others, and in the latter, you don't want the noise intrusion from the outside world.

The picture that came to mind typifying sonic anti-social behavior was the scene in that Star Trek Movie where the crew was on a city bus in SanFrancisco and some degenerate moron on the bus has a ghetto blaster on his shoulder blaring noise. They ask him nicely to turn it down, he refuses, and Spock puts him out. Pretty funny.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I've seen a lot worse (music related) anti-social behavior than open headphones.
Kids around these here parts have taken to playing music through their phones speakers while walking around. is is extremely irritating.

Quoted for the absolute truth. Crap music and crap sound quality equals :explodingsmiley:

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Using the term "leak" within this context is not technically incorrect: "transitive verb:
1 : to permit to enter or escape through or as if through a leak". The air is "leaking" through the back of the housing.

Quote:

Good luck with that. At best, you'll only harden me even more. At worst, I may become angry.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #29 of 58
I'm sorry that I made a mistake and voted for the "depends" Choice, when I really believe it's an anti-social act, like smoking in a crowded area or using a cell phone at a concert. I guess I can rationalize the environment choice like maybe in a wide open space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back