Are Head-Fiers anti social?
Sep 22, 2007 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Agnostic

1000+ Head-Fier
I keep seeing people that use and/or recommend open headphones that leak a lot of sound for portable use. Personally I get really annoyed by people "sharing" their music (or loud telephone calls for that matter) with the rest of the public and I can't help but finding it rude to be in a train or bus or other public place wearing headphones that leak a lot of sound.

What are your opinions?

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 58
I don't recall reading many recommendations to use open headphones portably.

I wouldn't use open headphones anywhere that has a high environmental sound level. The music isn't going to sound good. Turning up the volume to "override" the ambient noise level increases the risk of developing tinnitus.

I would use IEMs or closed headphones with decent isolation, such as the Sennheiser HD25-1.

It's also a good idea to put the headphones away in locations where awareness of the environment might be important, such as walking on a busy street.

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 58
Um no one is recommending open cans for use on the train or the bus. Portable doesn't always mean on public transport, it could mean moving them around the house easily, taking them to the office or on holiday etc...

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 58
No... i think it's more towards the fact that my hearing is deteriorating ...

I can't come up with a quick comeback when I'm taking more and more time to decipher what other people are talking about lol

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 58
I love walking around the city with my SR-60... but then I am purposely using them to create a musical background to the city sounds. I put on some instrumental postrock or something and do not try to focus on the music alone. This prevents me from using the phones too loud but gives a very interesting effect (like a soundtrack to your own life).

If I want to focus some more on the music itself, I use my eggos and for public transport/planes/libraries I'll go for IEMs.

I would also like to see all these recommendations for open phones for portable use, as openness is mostly one of the first things even a purebred grado-fan will warn ppl of when they want headphones for portable use.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 58
but aren't IEMs that block all outer sound anti-social as well as you can't hear people talking to you
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but aren't IEMs that block all outer sound anti-social as well as you can't hear people talking to you
wink.gif

Huh, huh? You talkin' to me?
etysmile.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 58
I’m not anti-social. I just hate people and want to block out as much of their drivel as possible. Now back to my Joy Division!
lambda.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 58
I certainly don't consider myself to be anti social.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 58
Interesting you mention this because there was a recent AP article that talked about people wearing open air headphones while listeing to their portable music player and people nearby could hear the sound clearly. Is it small wonder why IEM sales have gone through the roof lately?

(That's why with my iPod nano I wear the headphones mentioned in my sig--people don't have to listen to what I hear.
etysmile.gif
)

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m not anti-social. I just hate people and want to block out as much of their drivel as possible. Now back to my Joy Division!
lambda.gif

hahaha you just contradicted yourself within the same sentence

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 58
lots of things in public irritate me... but that's what it means to be in public. you don't have to like it, but it's totally acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back