Are Head-Fiers anti social?
Sep 23, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not antisocial
its just annoying

No, whether it annoys or not, it's antisocial, selfish, and immature to behave in a way that disregards the comfort of others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, my wife thinks hp listening is anti-social. That's because she can't dominate my attention. So the socialogical problem is hers.
evil_smiley.gif

No, it's antisocial and hence selfish and immature to use headphones as a means to inhibit the well intended attention of another.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

On the other hand, my wife thinks hp listening is anti-social. That's because she can't dominate my attention. So the socialogical problem is hers.
evil_smiley.gif

A to the M to the E to the N.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been many good comments in this thread. Very interesting. Any sociologist would eat this up.
wink.gif

Social awareness & courtesy is an interesting topic. Many people do not want complete isolation from their surroundings, yet do like to hear their music as a backdrop to their world. Some may be listening to an audiobook, or something akin to that, and again not want complete isolation.

In public, I think the only situations where good isolation is very appropriate would be the library and public transportation. In the former, you don't want to disturb others, and in the latter, you don't want the noise intrusion from the outside world.

The picture that came to mind typifying sonic anti-social behavior was the scene in that Star Trek Movie where the crew was on a city bus in SanFrancisco and some degenerate moron on the bus has a ghetto blaster on his shoulder blaring noise. They ask him nicely to turn it down, he refuses, and Spock puts him out. Pretty funny.

Well, at least he wasn't tasered...

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3

Many headfiers don´t wear leaky open headphones in public; plus many "in-public, open-leaky-headphone wearers" are not headfiers.

Thread title ought to be replaced with:

"Are people wearing leaky open headphones in public antisocial?"

To put it in Set Theory terms:

A = {Headfiers}
B = {People who wear open-leaky headphones in public}
C = {Antisocial people}

Thread title asks about the intersection between A and C, but the poll is really about B and C.

According to Wikipedia, Errett Bishop dismissed set theory as "God's mathematics, which we should leave for God to do."

I have no point. I'm just trying to increase my post count.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Wikipedia, Errett Bishop dismissed set theory as "God's mathematics, which we should leave for God to do."

I have no point. I'm just trying to increase my post count.
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL!
3000smile.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love walking around the city with my SR-60... but then I am purposely using them to create a musical background to the city sounds. I put on some instrumental postrock or something and do not try to focus on the music alone. This prevents me from using the phones too loud but gives a very interesting effect (like a soundtrack to your own life).

If I want to focus some more on the music itself, I use my eggos and for public transport/planes/libraries I'll go for IEMs.

I would also like to see all these recommendations for open phones for portable use, as openness is mostly one of the first things even a purebred grado-fan will warn ppl of when they want headphones for portable use.

I agree with this fellow.

However I usually use my closed sets of headphones. I guess that does not make me a social person. It's nice though a bit distracting when you get to a song with so much detail you just have to close your eyes for a moment or two to just soak it in...

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #53 of 58
No, it's antisocial and hence selfish and immature to use headphones as a means to inhibit the well intended attention of another.[/QUOTE]

If it were a permanent lifestyle, yes. I listen to my hps usually on mornings that she is sleeping in or in the evenings, when things are settling down. If things need attention, there is plenty of time for it in between or during pillow talk. HPs are for personal time.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

If it were a permanent lifestyle, yes. I listen to my hps usually on mornings that she is sleeping in or in the evenings, when things are settling down. If things need attention, there is plenty of time for it in between or during pillow talk. HPs are for personal time.

No, as you previously described it this behavior itself is antisocial, and it is so regardless of its frequency. A more mature way to handle this is to consider her needs as well as your own. If she "feels"s it's antisocial, your mature response is "I'm sorry" and then attend to her feelings of being wronged. If done satisfactorily, she should light up with appreciation. Then, after she has had time to heal (your call), address your need to have some alone time with your headphones. She may or may not be mature enough to extend to you a regular or predictable period of time for you to be alone and undisturbed with your headphones without feeling wronged. If so, then also arrange a way for her to interrupt you if she deems it necessary. If not, then the mature and loving response is to attend to her emotional neediness and help her mature. The way you've been dealing with this seems pretty much typical for a guy; however it is not a mature expression of love.

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, as you previously described it this behavior itself is antisocial, and it is so regardless of its frequency. A more mature way to handle this is to consider her needs as well as your own. If she "feels"s it's antisocial, your mature response is "I'm sorry" and then attend to her feelings of being wronged. If done satisfactorily, she should light up with appreciation. Then, after she has had time to heal (your call), address your need to have some alone time with your headphones. She may or may not be mature enough to extend to you a regular or predictable period of time for you to be alone and undisturbed with your headphones without feeling wronged. If so, then also arrange a way for her to interrupt you if she deems it necessary. If not, then the mature and loving response is to attend to her emotional neediness and help her mature. The way you've been dealing with this seems pretty much typical for a guy; however it is not a mature expression of love.

Interesting... I read Happy Camper's post to say pretty much he was already doing what you described as mature behavior. It fascinates me how differently two people can interpret the same post. Maybe we're both reading our predilections/behaviors into the "between the lines" part of HappyCamper's post.
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... I read Happy Camper's post to say pretty much he was already doing what you described as mature behavior. It fascinates me how differently two people can interpret the same post. Maybe we're both reading our predilections/behaviors into the "between the lines" part of HappyCamper's post.
wink.gif

I think this more has to do with differing interpretations of mature love than it has to do with misinterpretations. Mine is based on adequately responding to an expression of being hurt.

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a husband, not a shrink.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back