Are Grado's Dangerous?
Dec 6, 2005 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

MrEcted1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been having problems with my Grados... Whenever I listen to them for more then a 1/2 hour I get ear problems pretty bad. At first I thought it was just my ears and I was getting an ear-infection so I went to the doc and everything checks fine.

I am getting a throbbing pain deep inside my ears. I am very careful about my listening habbits... I keep the volume very low. It is low enough to where I can easily carry on a conversation with somebody while the music is playing. I have to keep it low because I need to know when my phone is ringing and such (I mostly use the cans at work) I don't turn it up. I take a break after 1/2 hour and I rarely listen to my cans for more then a couple hours in a day. I don't listen to my phones at home very often, I opt for the stereo so I can save my ears.

I read in another thread about how grados produce some extremely loud high-frequency noise (up to 32X the actual volume... INSANE!). I will find that thread (or if you were the person that posted that thread, could you verify this!!... I can't find it for some reason now) Now, i'm no genious, but super high-frequency noise (up to 32X actual volume) cannot be good for your hearing...even though we can't really hear it.

I have some Senn HD-490's (yeah they aren't the best in the Senn lineup) but I never experience this problem. I could listen to them all day long without an issue if I wanted. Now I listen to the Grados because they sound amazing, but it's becomming quite painful. The last thing I want is to be a responsible person with my cans and end up with hearing problems. My ears ring pretty bad after I listen to the Grado's, too... I DON'T want tinnitus so I might have to sell my beloved grados because to me they seem quite dangerous if they are screaming high frequency noises directly in your ears.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 85
I've never had a problem like that with my MS1s. I don't really know what to tell you. Everybody says the Grados are fatigueing, so maybe that's what you are experiencing. Although, I would say if your ears ring after listening to them something is wrong.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
some people just don't react well to certain headphones. sell them and get something else.

Yeah... that really sux cuz I really really enjoy the Grado sound signature. Ugh.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme
i also get a slight headache after about 2 hours with my sr80's
that is the first i heard about the loud high frequency sound, hmmm...

I found the thread when I was searching for Grado and ear pain. Someone had a graph that showed that some grados produce a high frequency noise up to 32X louder then the actual volume... that is INSANE! I will find it again when i'm back home and i'll post it in here.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 85
Which Grado's are you using? SR-80's or HF-1's?

I think some people are more prone to the Grado highs or Grate-o (as others call it) I've had no problems with either the SR-225's or the RS-1's.

Like you say basically its better to be safe than sorry. Sorry to hear you might have to sell them
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
Which Grado's are you using? SR-80's or HF-1's?

I think some people are more prone to the Grado highs or Grate-o (as others call it) I've had no problems with either the SR-225's or the RS-1's.

Like you say basically its better to be safe than sorry. Sorry to hear you might have to sell them
frown.gif

It happens with both my HF-1's and my SR-80s. This is super depressing because the HF-1's are EXACTLY what I want in a can. Just my luck they have to inflict pain. ERRR!!! It happens more with the HF-1's then the SR-80s despite the HF-1s mids and highs being less forward.

I wish there was some sort of doo-dad (i'm not a techie with this kind of crap) that would cancel out all noises above a certain frequency... like the frequency where most humans can't hear.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 85
I had the same problem with my grado sr-225. I sent them back and moved up to senn hd-650. What a relief! I can now listen for hours and have a hard time taking them off. With the grados it was a relief to take them off.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 85
Sounds like Grados are just too fatiguing and harsh for you. Some people live with it, and listen in short sessions. The permanent ear damage thing concerned me, so I returned them. Rest your ears!

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 85
I had the same thing. Try different pads. Its the combination of pressure from the headphone clamping your ears, as well as the shape and construction of the bowl pad.

Try flats or reverse bowls, this problem will disappear after a few weeks. Also try bending the headband slightly to relieve pressure. Otherwise you could incur damage to your cartilage.

It has nothing to do with frequency response.

Rhydon.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 85
This comes up again and again. I have experienced this with the SR225 (I have minor tinitus now ever sinnce). I went HD600 and never looked back.

Before the SR225s, I had HD590s and did not have issue.

-Alex

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 85
I am sorry about your problem. I had to give up my RS-1s because I could not listen to them for more than 20-30 minutes. I did not get any noticeable ringing or pounding (as you describe), but I did feel a great deal of pressure on my ears and had redness (and, yes, even a bit of bruising sometimes) where the pads (bowls) contacted my ears. I got rid of the RS-1s, and have been very happy with my HD595s.

I have recently considered adding a set of HF-1s or SR325is, but I am very skeptical of Grado's comfort level. Yes, some of the Grados have a nice sound, but I would not take a chance with my hearing. If you decide to part with the HF-1, you may want to try the HD595--they have a Grado-ish type of presentation, but, overall, I think they are perhaps better (at least in my system).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back