Are fakes common with Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80?
Dec 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
I recently went on eBay to see if the price was any lower than the $230 price for these headphones on Amazon. I'm seeing prices from $150-$220. I need to know if fakes are common with this model of headphones, and if eBay is a trustworthy place to buy these types of headphones.

Counterfeits are most common with products in high demand and where the cost of producing a somewhat convincing fake is low. Sennheiser's IE8 comes to mind. Personally, I've never heard of a fake Beyerdynamic.

When you buy through eBay, you're putting your trust in the seller ... and you probably don't get a warranty. If the difference was $10-$20 for a new pair, I'd buy from Amazon without hesitation. At $80, the choice might be a bit more difficult. eBay isn't my first choice for anything except collectibles but that's just me.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 29
Did you try search? There's tons of threads about this question.

Here's also info on Beyerdynamics own website: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs/faq-for-headphones.html

Must add that while Beyer says higher impedance gives better sound, some users don't hear difference between the different versions..

To make it simple: The 80 ohm version does not require an amplifier, but it benefits greatly from it. The 250 ohm version absolutely needs some kind of amplification to be properly driven. Something like the FiiO E17 or cMoy BB should work for those.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
To make it simple: The 80 ohm version does not require an amplifier, but it benefits greatly from it. The 250 ohm version absolutely needs some kind of amplification to be properly driven. Something like the FiiO E17 or cMoy BB should work for those.

Unless the 250-Ohm DT 880 is a significantly greater load than the T70, it absolutely doesn't require external amplification with even a reasonable PC sound card.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #20 of 29
I don't know if it was a fake, but I just bought a pair used on eBay from a good seller who prefers the DT880 for drumming.  They are slightly smaller and have shallower bass and fewer highs than the DT770 Pro I bought from Guitar Center 5 years ago. Both are 80 ohm   They are either from a different year, different factory, or for a different market, but they caused me to do a search for DT770 Pro fakes, which led me to this site. I can't say they are fakes for sure but they are perceptibly different. They are a great knock-off if they are fake, but they are clearly different. I know may not help but I had to share it.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #21 of 29
does anyone know if the box packaging has changed in the past couple of years for the dt-770 Pro 80ohm? I noticed for the most part, retail photos and unboxing videos to have a box in all white with an up close picture of the left earcup on the front of the box. However, I have seen a couple of listings that show a box that is white with green and it has a picture of the entire earphones (both earcups and headband) on the front of the box as opposed to the white box that previously described. Anyone know anything about the packaging?

Here is the most common box I see online and through unboxing videos:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7730/commonbox.jpg

Here is the odd box I have seen in a couple of ebay listings:... fakes?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7808/uncommonbox.jpg

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

edit: (note sorry for the URL but I can't insert images not sure why..)

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
does anyone know if the box packaging has changed in the past couple of years for the dt-770 Pro 80ohm? I noticed for the most part, retail photos and unboxing videos to have a box in all white with an up close picture of the left earcup on the front of the box. However, I have seen a couple of listings that show a box that is white with green and it has a picture of the entire earphones (both earcups and headband) on the front of the box as opposed to the white box that previously described. Anyone know anything about the packaging?

Huh. The pair I got was in the top box. I've never seen the one with the green on it. I can't say for sure if they are fakes or not.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Unless the 250-Ohm DT 880 is a significantly greater load than the T70, it absolutely doesn't require external amplification with even a reasonable PC sound card.

While an adequate volume can still be achieve despite not receiving external amplication, the 250 ohm Beyers definitely need it to be driven properly. 

Amplification does a lot more than simply boosting the volume that a headphone plays at, it also plays a significant role in the amount of control that the driver has when reproducing sound, which leads to it having better/worse sound quality.  This is why amping is recommended for the 250 ohm versions, and why the DT770 pro 80 improve so much with amplification as well. 

Quote:
I don't know if it was a fake, but I just bought a pair used on eBay from a good seller who prefers the DT880 for drumming.  They are slightly smaller and have shallower bass and fewer highs than the DT770 Pro I bought from Guitar Center 5 years ago. Both are 80 ohm   They are either from a different year, different factory, or for a different market, but they caused me to do a search for DT770 Pro fakes, which led me to this site. I can't say they are fakes for sure but they are perceptibly different. They are a great knock-off if they are fake, but they are clearly different. I know may not help but I had to share it.

The DT770 and the DT880 are enormously different headphones, and the differences you describe (with the exception of them being slightly smaller) are basically what I'd expect.  I'm sure that you are using a real pair. 

Quote:

I got my pair in 2007 and they came in the box with the green featuring a picture of the entire headphone on it, and they are definitely real.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #29 of 29
From cyberidd:
"The DT770 and the DT880 are enormously different headphones, and the differences you describe (with the exception of them being slightly smaller) are basically what I'd expect.  I'm sure that you are using a real pair. "

The reference to the DT880 was the reason the seller was selling them. My post was due to my curiosity over two different DT770 Pro 80 ohm phones both sold by GC over a span of 4 or 5 years, a pair I had already and a used pair I just bought on eBay for my son who is a drummer. They are not the same size and have a noticeably different sound. My son, who does not use phones but merely helps me on occasional recording jobs, noticed immediately after opening them. It made me question whether the newer pair was a knock-off or if it simply underwent a change of design and components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back