Are fakes common with Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80?
Nov 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
I recently went on eBay to see if the price was any lower than the $230 price for these headphones on Amazon. I'm seeing prices from $150-$220. I need to know if fakes are common with this model of headphones, and if eBay is a trustworthy place to buy these types of headphones.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:
I recently went on eBay to see if the price was any lower than the $230 price for these headphones on Amazon. I'm seeing prices from $150-$220. I need to know if fakes are common with this model of headphones, and if eBay is a trustworthy place to buy these types of headphones.

Heya,

I've never heard of a fake Beyer at all. The DT770 PRO often retails for $150 on Amazon. Right now it's just inflated for the holidays.

There are OEM's that look similar (Takstar I think?), but they're quite different in colors and all.

Very best,

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

I'm also looking for DT 770 Pro 80 ohms, I found that there is only one seller, not Amazon itself, selling DT 770 Pro on Amazon. Since it's not Amazon itself sells, I also worry about if they are fakes. I found several on eBay with really low price (starts from $165), that makes me worry more...
frown.gif

Quote:

Heya,

I've never heard of a fake Beyer at all. The DT770 PRO often retails for $150 on Amazon. Right now it's just inflated for the holidays.

There are OEM's that look similar (Takstar I think?), but they're quite different in colors and all.

Very best,

That's a relief, thanks for explaning, MalVeauX! So like I said, I found on eBay for $165-ish, is this a normal price? I can't believe DT 770 Pro are this cheap!

I'm also trying to look for DT 770 Pro 32 ohms, it's really hard to find. Any suggestions for where I should look? A trustworthy seller is much much preferred, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:
I'm also looking for DT 770 Pro 80 ohms, I found that there is only one seller, not Amazon itself, selling DT 770 Pro on Amazon. Since it's not Amazon itself sells, I also worry about if they are fakes. I found several on eBay with really low price (starts from $165), that makes me worry more...
frown.gif

That's a relief, thanks for explaning, MalVeauX! So like I said, I found on eBay for $165-ish, is this a normal price? I can't believe DT 770 Pro are this cheap!

I'm also trying to look for DT 770 Pro 32 ohms, it's really hard to find. Any suggestions for where I should look? A trustworthy seller is much much preferred, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a Canadian website that sells them for $195. 
This is it http://www.italmelodie.com/?section=item&itemID=6974
They seem trustworthy. Plus, these 'phones are only available in 2012, so I doubt that would be a good enough time for many counterfeits to even start appearing.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:
There's a Canadian website that sells them for $195. 
This is it http://www.italmelodie.com/?section=item&itemID=6974
They seem trustworthy. Plus, these 'phones are only available in 2012, so I doubt that would be a good enough time for many counterfeits to even start appearing.

Thanks, today somebody else just gave that website to me too. I think it is trustworthy. Just wondering the duties and the shipping fees, they may cost something.

How's your search for the 80 ohms version? Any luck finding good deals? I'm also considering buy a 80 ohms from eBay...

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 29
I absolutely have found a pair! They're actually sitting to my left.

I got them for $160 on eBay from seller CobraSonics. I've read good things about them on here, so, I assumed they would be trustworthy.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:
I absolutely have found a pair! They're actually sitting to my left.
I got them for $160 on eBay from seller CobraSonics. I've read good things about them on here, so, I assumed they would be trustworthy.

Would like to know what are your thoughts once you get them. Post some pics (i doubt they are fakes)

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
I've already got the heapdhones. I love them!

Is this the newest edition of DT 770 Pro 80 ohm? I thought the ear cups should be in grey or at least in dark grey, but from your photos look like they are in black. I've seen some pictures from eBay sellers are in black too, but from Beyer's website they look grey-ish. I wonder if they have different colors or this is an older model? Btw, thanks for your photos!

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 29
Is this the newest edition of DT 770 Pro 80 ohm? I thought the ear cups should be in grey or at least in dark grey, but from your photos look like they are in black. I've seen some pictures from eBay sellers are in black too, but from Beyer's website they look grey-ish. I wonder if they have different colors or this is an older model? Btw, thanks for your photos!

That's a lighting effect that Beyerdynamic uses in their stock photos. These are the newest model. The ear cups are black.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
Do you think that ebay store will have more in stock? I guess they ran out this morning because it's no longer listed.

They have in stock now! For about $156. They don't list many, so be hurry. But they should re-list very soon if ran out of stock again.

There's another seller: hitechdirectco, they have more in stock but with slightly higher price, about $165. Their reviews are good too, but a fairly new seller compares to CobraSonics. Good luck!

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
My son wants these headphones he asked about the 250 ohms. I am not savvy so what is the difference between the 80's and 250's?

Did you try search? There's tons of threads about this question.

Here's also info on Beyerdynamics own website: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs/faq-for-headphones.html

Beyerdynamic FAQ:
Low impedance (up to 100 ohms): connection to mobile devices (MP3 players, laptops, etc.). 
Medium impedance (between 100 and 300 ohms): connection to stationary installations (HiFi amplifiers etc.).
High impedance (over 300 ohms): connection to high-quality headphone amplifiers. Higher impedance = better sound = higher power requirements.

Must add that while Beyer says higher impedance gives better sound, some users don't hear difference between the different versions..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back