Are Custom Earphones really all that fragile?
Apr 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #64 of 68

Quote:
Why would anyone put "extremely loud blasts of sound" through any audio system?

Exactly.
It's not really much of an accident... Unless you do it consciously.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #65 of 68
Well, it really depends, there are tons of ways your earphones can be exposed to abnormally loud blasts of music/sounds.

1. Plugging your low impedence earphones into a source perhaps a computer , we know sound cards are able to drive full size speakers, hence what may seem to be low volume on the pc controls, ,may turn out to be extremely loud on your earphones.

2. Having your earphones plugged directly into the iphone. For the iphone the ringer and music volume controls are separate and if your ringer is normally set to max/near max volume, even though you may be listening to the music at perhaps 20% volume, in the eventuality that anyone calls , the ringer comes on it will be at 100% and this is extremely loud for low impedence earphones where at 0 volume there is still sound.

The list goes on and on lol.

The question is simple - Low impedence earphones, blasted by accident on high volumes , can the drivers take the strain? Because I know that speakers can be blown from playing overly loud music.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:
Quote:
Why would anyone put "extremely loud blasts of sound" through any audio system?Originally Posted by Sil3nce /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly.
It's not really much of an accident... Unless you do it consciously.

Stuff happens. I have a poorly-recorded CD of Strauss, "Also Sprach Zarathustra" from the early days of amateur orchestra recordings floating around, and one day pulled it out to play on my main speaker rig. Both speakers blew their fuses and sounded like cheap car radios afterwards. It was traumatic! :wink: But even good fuses are cheap.

Usually your ears will suffer more than your gear, unless you somehow cannot get to the off switch quickly enough. On my HM-601 there is an awful sound, like a loud leafblower-lawnmover driving through your head, when it runs out of battery. I doubt it's as hard on the IEMs I use as it is on my nerves, though. I think you'd have to try awfully hard to intentionally damage your IEMs that way.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #67 of 68
I don't consider durability is an issue if you baby your equipment regardless whether it is an universal or custom. 
My Shure Se420 lasted 3 years of normal usage and now the cable is broken and to be honest, I didn't baby them.

I was able to speak with one of the Silbermond staff and the person explained to me, reliability and a perfect seal is the most important key feature an in-ear should have. Therefore they use Compact Monitor Stage ies.

Getting mine in a couple of weeks, don't make me worry folks. :)

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #68 of 68
I don't have any quantified data on this topic, but I would suggest that pro touring is every bit as hazardous to IEMs as consumer applications -- and I suspect significantly moreso. Unexpected blasts from erroneously unmuted console channels, blasts of RF interference through wireless rigs, big pops from giant amps being powered up/down -- some pretty intense stuff. This is the environment that pro touring customs operate in.

I can't say failures don't happen -- straight DC will kill almost anything -- but it's not something we hear complaints about at Sensaphonics.

Just sayin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back