Are college students really poor?
Oct 7, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how? where do you go? i'm hoping this is med school or the like

x2

ivy+"expensive" city = columbia?

state schools are much more varied, but college students aren't that poor in general in private institutions; tuition + housing here is exactly 50k a year(arghhh) and over half of the students don't get any financial aid

Unfortunately the society is putting more and more importance on college education, and it is becoming more and more necessary to get a good job, etc. Of course, going to Harvard doesn't mean you'll be a millionaire but it DOES increase the odds.

As for myself, I come from a poor family and so I only have to pay 10 and work a lot, but the money from jobs is getting siphoned into head-fi
3000smile.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #47 of 68
i am finishing up my 4th year... and i have about ~$12k in debt... taking these loans and having some scholarships + parents paying some tuition helps a lot. the jobs here at davis suck. my job pays around 9.50 an hour and that is considered GREAT.

so poor? maybe not too poor. i had enough money to pay for most of my own stuff + my head-fi gear... and i don't live solely on ramen.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #48 of 68
Depends - generalizations obviously never work out. Some having everything paid for while - while some work 40 hour weeks while taking 18 units.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #51 of 68
The students in Holland act poor but they just waste their money on drinking their ass off like every weekend, although every day would suit them better.
But that's just imo and part of why I don't generally like students here.

And from what I read here from you, students are spoiled lucky bastards over here.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #52 of 68
I won't lie -- I am unbelievably lucky to have my parents and grandparents paying for my tuition ($32000/year). I could in no way, shape, or form afford this place on my own. I lived in the dorms the first two years, which is about $12000 to live in a 18x11 room with somebody else for nine months (****** cafeteria food included), which they of course also paid. I felt guilty that I had to ask for spending money every three or four weeks, so during my first college summer, I applied for and got a job on campus. Now I'm a junior and I haven't asked my parents for any spending money whatsoever -- I've moved into a house (3br/2.5ba) with two of my friends (one of whom's mom bought a house to rent out to us for the rest of college and whatever time we need thereafter, at which point it will become my friend's house). The rent is $900/month year-round, which works out to be exactly the same as living in a tiny dorm room for nine months at a time, minus the food. My parents insist on paying for the food, so I gave them a suspiciously low figure per month, assuring them that we are eating lots of pasta and whatnot, but in reality I'm paying for the majority of my food, because I'm trying to help as much as I possibly can. I paid for all of my own furniture and I'm doing my best to ease the financial strain on them a little bit more every day. I think that, considering my tuition and the cost of living in this area, I'm doing a pretty good job, aided greatly by my very fortunate familial circumstances.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Oh, and keeping my scholarship up helps them out too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #53 of 68
I don't know if I can consider myself poor. I definitely have to watch what I spend and can't just buy random crap. I pay for everything on my own: tuition, books, food, rent, bills... it's hard, but I work during the summer and have two part-time jobs during term. The easiest place to save is food - you really don't need to eat as much or as deliciously as you think; I spend about 60 dollars a month on food.

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #54 of 68
I'm not really very poor at all. I've got a pretty substantial amount in savings that basically sits there and builds up slowly until I'll stumble upon a purchase I need or want to make. Then I have a regular job and one off-and-on job, neither of which pay very much but it's more than enough to go out on weekends and have some fun.

As for the expenses of actually going to college, I got 25,000 dollar scholarship plus loans plus my parents mean I don't have to worry about it. It's a nice situation to be in and there are definitely kids here that aren't as lucky but there are few that are truly scraping to get by.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if I can consider myself poor. I definitely have to watch what I spend and can't just buy random crap. I pay for everything on my own: tuition, books, food, rent, bills... it's hard, but I work during the summer and have two part-time jobs during term. The easiest place to save is food - you really don't need to eat as much or as deliciously as you think; I spend about 60 dollars a month on food.

Where do u go? Mcgill/Concordia... or do u attend a French university?

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

its hard convincing yourself to spend money on food when you can eat pasta and rice every meal and save a ton of money. I did this for a month and gained a ton of weight. I've learned my lesson and try to eat as healthy as my budget allows, you get a lot more energy throughout the day, and you aren't doing a toll on your health.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 20K in loans a year...

two words...med school.

Pshh.....

$40K loans per year...

four words... med school in Chicago.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pshh.....

$40K loans per year...

four words... med school in Chicago.

that's it? wow you are doing better than most
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's it? wow you are doing better than most
wink.gif

Seriously, I didn't know med school was that cheap. I should have became a doctor.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back