Are college students really poor?
Oct 6, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #31 of 68
I guess it really depends... I know kids with some great jobs. I have a "volunteer" kinda job... so I get in line for the 2.99 subway... or eat at home.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 68
i'm in my third year of university and I don't consider myself poor.

my parents pick up tuition, and I try to cover stuff like books. I work during the summers and make around $7000 which lasts me through the year. I rarely buy lunches or eat out or even buy clothes because that stuff adds up. Before you know it you've spent $500 a month on "small" stuff. Instead, I save my money for bigger toys. A couple years ago I had enough saved to buy a motorcycle, and next year I'll have enough to start racing and buy a car. I'm also in a work experience program that has me working for 5 terms out of my degree so that really helps.

that being said I am not very fiscally responsible. I like to buy toys with my money and I won't save it. A lot of my responsible friends are putting money in the bank and into investments. To me, it seems like something you would do so that in 40 years, you can say to yourself "what kind of sports car would I like to buy?" whereas I can ask myself that question today.

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
College is a business, and they've unfortuneatly sucked most of america into it. You don't need an education to be wealthy, or even live a decent lifestyle. That's a HUGE misconception.

That is true...but I really do think it depends first on what you want to pursue as a career. Let's say for example, you have a desire to help others. You can do it several ways, but some people just want to be doctors to help others and to challenge themselves. Obviously you need med school for that. True you do not need an education to be wealthy...but an education opens doors and your eyes to limitless possibilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should be. I think college, along with an education, should be about learning the value of a dollar. Students should either be broke, or near broke, and learn how to make ramen or mac 'n cheese 50 different ways.

Unfortunately, this lesson is missed by many.

I always say a student's life should not be easy. But think of this...while you are suffering by sleeping 3 hours a night, studying into the wee hours of the morning, and while you can't do things for yourself for the 4+ years you are getting a degree...what is your reward? Just to go out into the workforce and work for the man to pay off loans? Value of the dollar is important...but how can you do well in school, when you beat and batter yourself by eating ramen and cheese?...(That'll give you high bloodpressure and high cholesterol..)

Value of the dollar should mean earning what you have. If you are failing your classes and still buying like crazy...now there is a problem there.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

I know people who have almost a full ride, and are still struggling going to OSU. It's crazy.

College is a business, and they've unfortuneatly sucked most of america into it. You don't need an education to be wealthy, or even live a decent lifestyle. That's a HUGE misconception.

I personally know SEVERAL independantly wealthy millionaires who never saw a day of college. It's all a matter of how bad you wanna work for the man, or BE the man.

I myself, don't personally have the personal drive they all have. They all have psychotic amounts of drive and focus. I can barely focus to deal out a hand of poker, lol.

x2

IMO, most people go to College/University for job/professional training instead of an education.

I know several highly-educated people who do not have a college degree. I know many others with degrees who are not educated.

I submit the educated strive continually to learn how to learn.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

I personally know SEVERAL independantly wealthy millionaires who never saw a day of college.

Might've been possible a few decades ago, but I don't think the world works like that anymore. I, too, know a few millionaires who only graduated from high school and somehow got lucky with their businesses. According to my parents, it was much easier to find a job w/o a degree. Going to university was a much bigger thing back then compared to it is now. Nowadays, you'll be lucky to find a decent, satisfactory job if you graduate with a so-so BA. The world is just so much more demanding...

The standard of living in the UK is so high that it makes you poor. My average lunch costs around $20 and dinner maybe a bit more depending on what I have. Just about everything here is expensive. Then there's ridiculously expensive public transport, especially the London Underground and National Rail network. Education ain't cheap either. Medical school costs around $60k for the first "pre-clinical years", then almost doubles to over $50k a year for the next three years. Bear in mind one probably won't have much time to work during term-time, I have no idea how I'd manage if my parents weren't so nice to me... The thought of being $210k in debt alone not including accommodation and day-to-day expenses at the end of five years is simply mind boggling.
frown.gif
Combined pay for a 1st & 2nd years as a foundation doctor is just under $100k before taxes. After taxes, there's not much left...

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

IMO, most people go to College/University for job/professional training instead of an education.

What would describe as an "education," then?

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
such a great post

I have much more than that in debt and no one would consider me poor. Debt isn't the best measure of wealth or lack thereof.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #41 of 68
good point, shizelbs.
it all depends, college whether public or private is still a major financial undertaking.
I remember when a friend used coupons to buy ramen.
however, visit him at home and he owns 4 apartment buildings, a restaurant and a factory. He even asked for a loan from us when he got in trouble sports gambling.
You'll eventually see the majority of students at colleges have money. Spring break trips, new cars, etc costs money. most had it before going to college.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a job that pays about $8ish an hour plus any tips we might get, and for the most part it is just enough for me to make ends meet right now, what with tuition, rent, food, and books. Buying groceries instead of eating out is the best way to stretch the food dollar, especially if there's a Costco nearby. Gas really eats the money up, though.

i guess that is the difference between poor/rich students these days. I could never work for that amount, that is min wage here. My lowest paying job was $13/hour and my highest was $15/hr. Next year I'll be doing work experience that pays around $18-20 an hour. For me work is work, I don't mind working hard but it'd better be worth my time.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would describe as an "education," then?

To me, the purpose of education distills to "learning how to learn."

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #45 of 68
Poor/College are pretty much unrelated. When Bill Gate's daughter goes off to college do you think she will be a poor college student?

If people have rich parents or made a bunch of cash in some sort of internet business when in high school or during the course of their college education (Always a few of these) or hell some middle class/poor parents even do this thing where they save up a bunch of cash for their kid's education and just turn it over to them when they go off to school. If they enroll in a state school or have a sick scholarship then the money is theirs to do whatever with.

Other parents keep the money but tell the kids they don't have to worry about anything during school (Sometimes with limits/without).

Yes some students are very poor and struggling to survive, but I don't think that's in the norm and more like one end of the spectrum. Perhaps being broke in college is character building and incentive to work hard, so maybe it's a good thing, but also maybe figuring out how to pay tuitition/rent/put food in your stomach that isn't package ramen detracts from the edumacating process as well. Meh. Whatever your kid can handle I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back