Are college students really poor?
Oct 6, 2007 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

ricksome

500+ Head-Fier
I know that I'm goin' to open my self up for criticism but here goes... I work in a cafeteria at a college. Our prices are reasonable. Some of these students spend $10.00 for lunch...5 days a week. Okay...tar and feather me

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 68
Uh... depends? Some kids have to support themselves, food/shelter/tuition/etc. Others commute from home, or have parents who help pay for stuff. Some students have really good jobs. And I guess there are people who just like splurging on a nice meal.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 68
Most of them are living off loans, so what they spend is an illusion for the most part. Also, $10/meal isn't that unheard of in most college towns. I know here at Michigan State if you do the math the cost of the cafeteria meal plans works out to $10-15/meal depending on which plan you get.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 68
Well, at my school, we have the option of prepaying for a lunch program in a system known as "Declining Balance". We use our school ID's to buy stuff and it has a balance like a debit card. So it doesn't really matter how much you spend, it apart of the initial college expense anyway.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 68
I have $125K in student loans.

Does that answer your question?

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 68
I've found that it's very easy to lose sight of how much one spends on food at school. I try my hardest to keep it under $5 a day from Monday to Wednesday, but at the gouging prices the vendors charge, it's damn hard to do.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 68
To be fair, it depends on background. I went to several private colleges, all well respected, one ivy, and this is what cost me a fortune. Not to mention 2 of them were in cities with a very high cost of living.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 68
I lucked out and got a full scholarship but Ramen was still a large part of my diet. You can do so much with Ramen.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 68
I went to college 2 years for a diploma. I supported myself all the way. Worked my ass off the summer before I went to school and I paid cash for my tuition and books all the time. It feels great really, you don't have that after-graduating burden at all like most 21-22-23 year olds have.

I think it's just some of those people who do not look for a job that'll pay them well enough to cover mostly everything for school. Of course, there are those aspiring doctors and lawyers, who are obviously facing financial burdens unless they're wealthy or have a scholarship - those can be excused. I think most students just care about what's the most "fun-job" they can have for the summer, and in most cases, they end up blowing it elsewhere.

If you're a college student who's reading this, you know what you've done to help yourself financially. I'm not in anyway poking fun at those people who are in debt, I'm more of making points to those people who seem not to care at all whether or not they'll be in debt by the time they graduate. Different people have different ways of managing their finances. Now, if you're one of those people who's trying their best to avoid any financial burdens after graduation, I salute you. You're helping yourself in a big way, trust me. I might not be the wealthiest 22 year old around my block, but I can sleep sound at night knowing I don't owe any money to anyone and I actually paid to educate myself.

To answer the question of this thread: YES, if they choose to be one.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 68
I think it's more that college students don't know how to budget money. For many this is the first time they have all the money to themselves and have to learn how to spend it. When the financial aid office sends you a check for several thousand dollars every semester that might be more than you've ever had in your bank account at one time. You just don't realize that out of those few thousand dollars you have to pay for rent, food, books, bills, etc.

At least that was my experience in college. $10 or even $20 lunches weren't that odd, I knew people that spent $50 on a meal, and they ate out every meal.
blink.gif

Currently I am in graduate school and I would like to believe that I've learned from my undergrad ways. I currently have 100k+ in student loans (most of the money actually used for education
wink.gif
) and still one more year to go.
frown.gif

Live and learn.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew people that spent $50 on a meal, and they ate out every meal.
blink.gif

I know quite a few people who've racked on massive amounts of weight because of this. (I myself gained over 20lbs in a two year span) Since they only spend a few hours at College a day, they have more time to work, meaning more money, and thus EXPLODE.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know quite a few people who've racked on massive amounts of weight because of this. (I myself gained over 20lbs in a two year span) Since they only spend a few hours at College a day, they have more time to work, meaning more money, and thus EXPLODE.

Ah, the freshman fifteen!

I actually lost a little bit of weight my first year of university. I discovered that the only reasonably priced food on campus was a 6" veggie sub!

Although, today I splurged and had a couple with meat on them, because I like to treat myself whenever I have an exam. Damn, they were gooood.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 68
The food in our Dining commons made me sick. I went to school and dropped 15 lbs.

But to answer the OP: yes. At least I am/was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back