Are closed back headphones similar to sound isolating earbuds?
Jul 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jakeddong

New Head-Fier
I've been using some cheap($30) earbuds from sony for the past 2 years and they've finally got broken up. 
I thought this time I might try headphones but when I tried my friend's open back headphones, I couldn't stand the lack of sound isolating feel. I haven't tried closed back headphones yet.
Is the "sound isolating feel" of closed back headphones much like that of earbuds? 

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I've been using some cheap($30) earbuds from sony for the past 2 years and they've finally got broken up. 
I thought this time I might try headphones but when I tried my friend's open back headphones, I couldn't stand the lack of sound isolating feel. I haven't tried closed back headphones yet.
Is the "sound isolating feel" of closed back headphones much like that of earbuds? 

I'm not sure that "ear buds" will isolate all that well in the first place ... and, I mean, the sort that simply hang in the ear.

IEM's (inner ear monitors), however, will isolate far more than what is typically called an "ear bud" since they actually insert directly in to the ear canal and create a near air tight seal ... thereby blocking out most all ambient sound...

But to answer your question, ... yes ... "closed back" full sized headphones will more accurately resemble the more isolated sound of inner ear monitors but they still do not equal the sheer isolation you might get from a good set of IEM's. 

So try some closed full sized cans, sounds like what your looking for.

best.

.j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back