Are CDs obsolete
Jan 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #77 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the opposite. There's very little music I don't like. I have 2500 albums on my iPod. I've already eliminated everything I'm ambivalent about. Every time I buy a new CD, I have a hard time deciding what to remove from my iPod.

Sounds like you need a couple more ipods. You can arrange them by genre.
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #78 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You think I am joking?

My guess is that he thinks 550 SACDs is not many considering how much music is being put out. How many CDs and digital only albums were released?

Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you need a couple more ipods. You can arrange them by genre.
tongue.gif

Yeah, but I like to have the majority of my music with me. I like to shuffle by album. I'd hate to have to decide what genre I wanted to listen to. So far today I've listened to Orb, Marvin Gaye, and Charles Dutoit. Three albums, three different genres.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #79 of 191
I understand how an eclectic taste in music makes it hard to choose what stays and what goes. As an eclectic music lover I can only recommend to give everything a good listen. If you for some reason remember a track once in a while and play it, it's one to stay. Sometimes though certain tracks only work in sequence with the entire album, they just come alive. The album 'Joyful Rebellion' by K-os is such an album for the intro in itself isn't a catchy single, but on the album it just works.

The fact I have the album makes it only better because I don't want to be stuck with downloads that fail to deliver the sound I prefer.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #80 of 191
I usually listen to something 2 or 3 times before junking it and it has to be really, obviously not for me to really get rid of a CD. The last few years, I've been buying a lot of CDs from thrift stores. I've bought a lot that sounded vaguely familiar. It's easy to take a chance when it's only $2. I've bought some spectacular albums this way, but also some real duds. I think the worst I bought was a Groove Armada album that was 10 remixes of the same song, not one of which was interesting to me.

One of my recent great finds just came up on the iPod. Doves - The Last Broadcast. I bought it because I vaguely remembered someone mentioning the group in a thread here. It's a fantastic album. Who knows if it's what I read about.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #82 of 191
They stopped doing that a long time ago, DefectiveAudioComponent. You can feel free to start buying albums again :p

Quote:

CDs are not good storage mediums (for me). A 500GB ext. HDD costs around $150 and lasts for years.

I don't understand this logic. You're saying you'd rather throw all your eggs in one less reliable basket? I have CDs from since CDs were first being made (they have instructions about what they are and how to use them lol) that are perfectly fine. With the age of flash and harddrive players you don't even have to use the CD for anything else but ripping the songs onto your computer, which pretty much guarantees as long as your CDs are in their cases, they're gonna last decades at very least. I don't really see why a CD would ever deteriorate untouched. Whereas a harddrive is the opposite... because you have to access it fairly often to add new music you've purchased, or to transcode/rip music to a new format/medium.

The only reason CDs would go out the door is because it's possible to construe them as inconvenient and of taking up a lot of space... But that's half the point of owning books and CDs and DVDs... To show everyone what great taste you have when you invite them to your home. I think people value that too much to ever leave tangible mediums. If not the CD, than something else we can have a pretty case for to display. (I realise that's getting very far away from the audio aspect of music, but it's undeniable).

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #83 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason CDs would go out the door is because it's possible to construe them as inconvenient and of taking up a lot of space... But that's half the point of owning books and CDs and DVDs... To show everyone what great taste you have when you invite them to your home. I think people value that too much to ever leave tangible mediums. If not the CD, than something else we can have a pretty case for to display. (I realise that's getting very far away from the audio aspect of music, but it's undeniable).

I heard that digital books out sold physical books on Amazon in the 4th quarter.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #84 of 191
I decided I'm going to sell all my cds, because I never listen to them. I listen to everything on my computer and have 2 backups of my entire collection. I'd rather have the money. I'm like that with books too. As soon as I read a book, I have no more use for it. Never been much of a pack rat.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #85 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided I'm going to sell all my cds, because I never listen to them. I listen to everything on my computer and have 2 backups of my entire collection. I'd rather have the money. I'm like that with books too. As soon as I read a book, I have no more use for it. Never been much of a pack rat.

So do you plan on deleting the copies of the music you sell? Cause legally you should
wink.gif
. See difference with the books is with the books no longer retain a copy.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #86 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you plan on deleting the copies of the music you sell? Cause legally you should
wink.gif
. See difference with the books is with the books no longer retain a copy.

Lol Gee i could have done without that info. So what if I made photo copies of my books? Does that mean I have to burn them?
L3000.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #87 of 191
if i like an album i buy it. nothing beats getting that album you love in hardcopy and opening the packaging and putting it in the CD player knowing that there is no higher digital quality (for the most part) then that CD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #88 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol Gee i could have done without that info. So what if I made photo copies of my books? Does that mean I have to burn them?
L3000.gif

Pretty much if you sold the books.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #89 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope
smily_headphones1.gif
Just like Vinyl that was declared dead twice and is currently enjoying a massive resurgence....redbook will be around for another 20 years. What we need is an updated redbook standard (20/48 or 20/88 would be terrific) but I doubt any of the major players could ever agree to another unlocked (DRM free) carrier.

Peete.

High resolution CD? Have you heard of SACD? Higher resolution silver discs are being rejected by the market. What remains is CD of today, and I bet it will be around for a lot longer than most people believe.

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #90 of 191
mp3/popularity of itunes is the whole reason i started buying cd's, u can pick up some really good used cd's on ebay/amazon for like a .1 penny and just pay 2 bux shipping, gladly a price ill pay compared to 15.00-20.00 i think not, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back