Are CDs obsolete
Jan 5, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #61 of 191
Honestly, if they started offering lossless files on iTunes store, then I'd say nearly over, but until then, CDs are here to stay and as long as there's audiophiles, they'll continue to exist (a la vinyl).

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #62 of 191
Nope
smily_headphones1.gif
Just like Vinyl that was declared dead twice and is currently enjoying a massive resurgence....redbook will be around for another 20 years. What we need is an updated redbook standard (20/48 or 20/88 would be terrific) but I doubt any of the major players could ever agree to another unlocked (DRM free) carrier.

Peete.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #63 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all my years of audio enjoyment, I figure:
CDs are expensive. 700MB of a plastic disc for $15 is simply wrong to me. They're also quite fragile: The data side can be damaged in a number of ways, the disc itself can deform, chip, crack, or other.
CDs are not good storage mediums (for me). A 500GB ext. HDD costs around $150 and lasts for years.
But that's the disc itself. No doubt that CD audio is much better than mp3 if (when) played on a high-end, very revealing system. FLAC, APE and ALAC are very nice to retain your CD music in a digital lossless way.
However there is something new here: the highly-debated torrwnting. Files may be "shared". True, someone has to rip first. In this case, CDs should be much less produced. I didn't say stop (VHS tapes are still being made), but I think torrwnting is going to force digital releases (in "CD-quality") eventually.
I believe that in a digital age, analog will be inevitably replaced. Torrwnting accounted for 52% of all Internet activities in '08 (from what I read) and that should mean something.
This is probably much than $0.02.
Let's start discussing. Please keep it cool. Nobody wants flame wars, right?
beerchug.gif

Depends what CD's your talking about though.

They vary in quality from 5p each the worst quality, to a few £1 each for the very scratch resistant, hard top coat and UV protected ones.

I've still got CD's, DVD's and computer games on DVD-ROM and CD-ROM from like 10 years ago or more.
That haven't got any damage except some have very light surface scratches, others just dirt and nothing alse. As I take great care of my stuff.

Vinyl, tapes, VHS,DAT, it all gets worn down by the heads.

Minidisc were quite good as they were like a mini CD in a protective case. So great for traveling, whereas CD's can get scratched up when traveling.

That's why I only now use a MP3 player when traveling or my phone with music on.

Anyway TDK's Armor Plated and ScratchLess are the best ones to use.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #64 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you miss the whole DVD-Audio and SACD? Seriously they came and went so fast it would have been easy to miss
tongue.gif

Just a note, not sure I would say VCD was ever widely used format but more of a niche format unless you meant VHS.

Really? After more than 10 years on the market, SACD still saw over 550 new titles released in 2009. Can't say the same for DVD-A, but it's still around.

As for VCD, it's still a pretty popular format in south east Asia.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #66 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope
smily_headphones1.gif
Just like Vinyl that was declared dead twice and is currently enjoying a massive resurgence....redbook will be around for another 20 years. What we need is an updated redbook standard (20/48 or 20/88 would be terrific) but I doubt any of the major players could ever agree to another unlocked (DRM free) carrier.

Peete.

Doesn't hybrid SACD fulfill this? Anyways, IMO, any "updated" redbook standard should be based around DSD which is essentially what SACD does.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #67 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? After more than 10 years on the market, SACD still saw over 550 new titles released in 2009. Can't say the same for DVD-A, but it's still around.

As for VCD, it's still a pretty popular format in south east Asia.

550 wow! You really saying that with a straight face?

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #68 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

If you think vinyl is having a massive resurgence, you must not have been around in vinyl's heyday. Sure they're increasing a lot, but it's minuscule compared to what it was, and compared to CD and digital.

46500515.gif

2% market share is not massive. The graph may not show used record sales at thrift stores, yard sales, etc, but even adding that in wouldn't make it massive.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #69 of 191
Believe me, when I've got enough money for a sound system for LPs and I can make room for it the LP will be my next stop. The only reason why I haven't started yet on LPs is because of the space I'll be needing to store everything.

For my CDs I have a big CD case which fits about 140 CD casings with content. It takes little space and everything stays in good condition. If ever possible, I'll fill 3 or 4 of those cases. Just thinking about it makes me smile...

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #70 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe me, when I've got enough money for a sound system for LPs and I can make room for it the LP will be my next stop. The only reason why I haven't started yet on LPs is because of the space I'll be needing to store everything.

For my CDs I have a big CD case which fits about 140 CD casings with content. It takes little space and everything stays in good condition. If ever possible, I'll fill 3 or 4 of those cases. Just thinking about it makes me smile...

Give it time. I've been buying CDs since 86 and I own over 2700 of them. Storage is a PITA. You can quickly build up a big collection of LPs if you buy them at thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, etc, where people are dumping theirs, assuming you have at least the equivalent in the Netherlands. The problem is that a lot of them won't sound very good because of dirt ground into the grooves.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #71 of 191
I am very choosy. Before buying an album I do research. Very rarely have I bought a CD on an impulse. Research can take up to a day and the list of 'CDs I still want to buy' just gets longer with every new discovery.

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #72 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very choosy. Before buying an album I do research. Very rarely have I bought a CD on an impulse. Research can take up to a day and the list of 'CDs I still want to buy' just gets longer with every new discovery.

Good boy! Woof!

Have another dog bone
biggrin.gif

I'm the same actually. I tend to be very discriminating about the music I like or buy. I don't know how people can buy collections and weed through all the chaff. It's a lot of work. That goes for old vinyl collections, or the mass of junk on iTunes
atsmile.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #73 of 191
I'm the opposite. There's very little music I don't like. I have 2500 albums on my iPod. I've already eliminated everything I'm ambivalent about. Every time I buy a new CD, I have a hard time deciding what to remove from my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back