Are Audio-Gd DAC's all that?
Jun 5, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #16 of 301
Trust me if the Audio-gd did not sound good I would be vocal about that too.  However it is awesome, in the way I have it setup (balanced w.ACSS) 

Quote:
This. I am sure the Audio GD fans have good reason to be proud of their possessions, and that Kingwa makes a fine line of products. But justified or not, it does come off a bit strong sometimes.

I am curious for the people saying the Pheonix isnt all that as a headphone amp, are you using it Single Ended or Balanced?  Because my Roc balanced is very very nice.  (since Pheonix is kinda based on the Roc, but supposed to be better)

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #18 of 301

Quote:
I am curious for the people saying the Pheonix isnt all that as a headphone amp, are you using it Single Ended or Balanced?  Because my Roc balanced is very very nice.  (since Pheonix is kinda based on the Roc, but supposed to be better)

No one has said the Phoenix is a bad headphone amp.  I doubt you'll find anyone on this site who would make such an outlandish claim.  It is a great headphone amp and for the price really can't be beat.  Are there better headphone amps? Yes, but they cost significantly more.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #19 of 301
Yikes, your thread has me perplexed. I have read a lot of your comments and you have always had a firm point of view. I thought you had a gift for the gab, slicing painfully with scathing sarcasm.

This post seems weak,  you like the products but you doubt the company, is there a hint of xenophobia. You seem to suggest we should doubt the products or somehow start questioning all things Audio-gd .

You don't like owners being happy with their gear and accuse them of overstating the value.

What's with this unsolicited health disclosure in this public domain, what are you trying to tell us.

Very weak attempt at discrediting the brand with audiogon namedropping you have already appologised for.

May I remind you that most opinions here are subjective and totally encouraged.

I fail to see anything good coming from this thread and think you should save face the best way you can.

Of course you could keep it going if you want to rub up folks the wrong way, say, you're not trolling for a fight are you/

Please think positive, a lot of healing in there.

Shade.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #20 of 301

Quote:

The Roc was based on the Phoenix.

Back on topic, I did try my Ref 1 alongside a couple of other well-regarded DACs, as I wanted to find out the same thing myself.  The first was an Assemblage DAC 3, which is similar in that it uses the PCM1704UK and is a fairly comprehensive design like the Ref 1, but different in that it uses OPA627s in the output stage, and sounds like it. The Ref 1 in comparison was more neutral and detailed.  The other DAC is the famous Marantz Project D-1. I couldn't tell the difference between them, but I didn't spend a long time with it.  Maybe with a good speaker rig and some time I would be able to.  Both are essentially un-coloured and very detailed.  I did have a Ref 7 here briefly, and it is a little better than the Ref 1.  For me, that little better -- little bit more musical and clear -- makes me want to buy one.  Dammit.  If I can be bothered, I could test again an Esoteric D-05, but it requires hauling the Ref 1 over to a dealer and using unfamiliar gear.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 301
I wrote a long reply to some comments, but I'm still getting the hang of the iPad and the reply was lost to the ether. I don't have the energy to recreate it. Close the thread if it pleases the mods

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #23 of 301
There's some weird aggressive posts here that are better off left unanswered, especially if it's such a headache you wouldn't rewrite your responses that were lost. I would still encourage you to share your thoughts freely, there's always going to be people who misunderstand you or accuse you of foul play, just have to ignore them.

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 301
Im all for freedom of speech, but I will wield it to defend a product I believe in. I highly doubt your thread will get closed, head-fi is a pretty cool place imo.  For example I thought the Cambridge Dacmagic was not that great and I voiced it.  If the product is "in my opinion" not sounding the greatest I will definitely say so, just as I will if it sounds great.  This is all according to my ears/opinion of course.  However, when you hear a lot of good things about a product from a lot of ears (people that own the product) that usually tells you something.  Im not a fan of people just praising products because other people do, don't get me wrong.  I would hope most people praise products that they have actually listened to and compared it to others.  

Also, some people tend to defend products they own and have put a lot of money in, even if it's not all that great.  I am not one of those people.  

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #25 of 301

Quote:
This. I am sure the Audio GD fans have good reason to be proud of their possessions, and that Kingwa makes a fine line of products. But justified or not, it does come off a bit strong sometimes.

I suggest trying/ listening to some of the gear and get back to us. Maybe you'll understand and join the cult. My biggest compliment to his gear is the high dollar value of it.

To the other post: to put Kingwa in the same sentence as Singlepower is a little much- Kingwa has been around for a long time (in Asia primarily).

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #26 of 301

Quote:
 I did have a Ref 7 here briefly, and it is a little better than the Ref 1.  For me, that little better -- little bit more musical and clear -- makes me want to buy one.  Dammit.  If I can be bothered, I could test again an Esoteric D-05, but it requires hauling the Ref 1 over to a dealer and using unfamiliar gear.

Woh woh woh!  Wait a second.  Did I just hear you admitting the Ref 7 was better?  Because when I said I thought that it was too you said "impossible!", "it's the same as the Ref 1", and lots of rude comments to go with it.

Also, was the Ref 7 re-wired with the DHC Nucleotide?  If it wasn't, make sure you order yours with it.

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #27 of 301
iPodPJ: No, my criticism was that you were going off audio memory based on an experience with $50 speakers, irrespective of whether you were right or not. Lets not get into that though. 
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #28 of 301

Quote:
I wrote a long reply to some comments, but I'm still getting the hang of the iPad and the reply was lost to the ether. I don't have the energy to recreate it. Close the thread if it pleases the mods

I hope you are Ok Yikes (or on the mend) Your comment about health, good luck and get well soon whatever it is.

Peete.

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #29 of 301

Quote:
Also, was the Ref 7 re-wired with the DHC Nucleotide?  If it wasn't, make sure you order yours with it.

By re-wired, do you mean the internal wiring
blink.gif

I'm saving up for a dac right now, are there any reviews/impressions with this re-wiring?

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #30 of 301

Quote:
By re-wired, do you mean the internal wiring
blink.gif

I'm saving up for a dac right now, are there any reviews/impressions with this re-wiring?

I rewired mine with Mundorf silver/gold before any other type was offered (SPC stranded was the stock stuff). Yes, the internal wiring from the pcbs to the jacks on the back panels is what Pj and I are talking about. I also changed out the digital wiring for 75 ohm illumati coax. The swap made a for a favorable improvement over stock. Well worth the minor expense and labor.

Here's a pic of the completed work

I believe that Kingwa now uses what PJ mentioned as standard although I would email Kingwa to confirm that..PJ knows the details better than I about the Nucleotide wire.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back