Arcam rHead Class-A Analogue Headphone Amplifier
Oct 1, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #151 of 221
More than likely the Fostex amp/dac that you're using applies its gain after the DAC, so it's the amp that is adding the gain voltage. I would imagine the DAC puts out a standard 2 volts. Yup, just confirmed on fostex site - under specs section for your amp/dac:

[OUTPUT] (L,R) terninal (Analog output) Connector :RCA Pin
Reference output level :2Vrms (0 dBFS) Applicable load impedance :less than 10k ohm THD :less than 0.01% (at 1kHz)
Frequency Response: 20Hz-80kHz (+3dB)
Sounds like you're on your way to steadily improving your source gear - it's hard to go wrong with the rHead. Do you have plans for a dedicated DAC next?

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #152 of 221
Haven't thought of a dedicated DAC beyond this, am planning on a dap next, juggling between the DX150 and the Hiby R6 Pro (releasing soon).

I was initially looking at the AKG K1500 headphone amp (which retails currently for about US$570 in Japan) until @eugenius pointed to me that the amp is actually the Arcam rHead (re-branded to AKG in Japan):

http://akg.harman-japan.co.jp/product.php?id=k1500

and thus found this thread. Went through every posts here, most everyone seems positive about this amp and @littleemp mentioned that there was a sale going on over at Audio Affair, so I decided to check it out. It was retailing for about US$193 and reckon the price is pretty much a steal so should be arriving by next Monday :) Saved a ton of money in the process!

Nonetheless, which DACs are you guys hooking up with this amp?

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #153 of 221
I have used it with the Metrum Amethyst and an SMSL M8. I also fed it with a iFi iDAC2 and Schiit Modi Multibit (Mimby) once upon a time. In all cases, it was just fine! I'm sure it'll work just fine with your fostex RCA output. Report back after you've done some A/B comparisons with the arcam and your fostex please. Would be nice to read what you hear.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #154 of 221
Well the Arcam amp arrived earlier than scheduled. Been listening it for a couple hours over the weekend with the K712, TH500RP and HD650. First impression was it is definitely louder than the amp section of my Fostex dac/amp. And as everyone has described, it has the 'musicality' feel to it while the Fostex dac/amp feels more 'intimate' to my ears.

Both amps have great tonality although the Arcam exhibits it alittle better due to being louder, albeit somewhat airy. And out of the 3 aforementioned headphones that I've tested, the HD650 seems to benefit the most from the Arcam amp coming from the Fostex dac/amp. Not to be mistaken, the Fostex powers the HD650 just fine, however there is something about the Arcam that brings the 650 to a different level, maybe its the 'airier' feeling I get.

However, I dunno if it is a problem with my unit but on switching the Arcam's volume wheel which starts at 7 o'clock, the volume seems to remain in an even level (i.e. very soft) all the way up till about 11 - 12 o'clock, which is still soft coming from someone who doesn't listen to music very loudly! Nonetheless the volume starts spiking up at 1 o'clock so between that and 2 o'clock seems to be the sweet spot. Not sure if this is the norm but would be glad if someone can kindly confirm. And yes, my volume wheel on the Fostex dac has been maxed.

Nonetheless, very happy with my purchase especially at the bargain price. :)

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #155 of 221
the Arcam's volume wheel which starts at 7 o'clock, the volume seems to remain in an even level (i.e. very soft) all the way up till about 11 - 12 o'clock, which is still soft coming from someone who doesn't listen to music very loudly! Nonetheless the volume starts spiking up at 1 o'clock so between that and 2 o'clock seems to be the sweet spot. Not sure if this is the norm but would be glad if someone can kindly confirm.
mine does exactly the same thing. Believe this is by design. Just rest assured you have perfect channel matching!

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #156 of 221
This is an absoloutley fantastic little amp, the pairing with the HD650 is just magic. I like this more than my £800 questyle CMA600i balanced amp, so arcam is a bargain at 1/4 of the questyle. I saw the innerfidelity review after purchase and couldnt agree more.

The questyle has a little more top end detail and tad bit more punch to the lows but the rhead is musical, sweet and smooth sounding but no loss of detail or congestion. CMA400i can go up for sale and now i think ill look for an equally impressive dac and be done for a long time. :slight_smile:

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #159 of 221
Yeah I can understand why it used to be £400 and now at £200 it’s a bargain.

I have one about a week now, it is certainly very well made and smooth sounding but it loses out on top end detail for me and it glides over the music a bit like a valve amp and I feel like I am losing out on something.

So far I am yearning for something better that will entice me to be tethered to a desktop and I reckon that I need something better to convince me that it is worthwhile being so constrained (as opposed to being portable).

Any suggestions???

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #160 of 221
I have one about a week now, it is certainly very well made and smooth sounding but it loses out on top end detail for me and it glides over the music a bit like a valve amp and I feel like I am losing out on something.

So far I am yearning for something better that will entice me to be tethered to a desktop and I reckon that I need something better to convince me that it is worthwhile being so constrained (as opposed to being portable).

Any suggestions???

What headphone are you using?

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #162 of 221
What headphone are you using?

I have several (loads more in my profile that have owned for several months), Onkyo A800, Philips Fildelio X2, Fostex T40RP Mk3, Yamaha HPH-MT220, AKG K612 Pro, etc.

I can see why you would like it - with all your noisy heavy metal music, etc. :ksc75smile:

As things stand I will be returning it, if I don't use it I don't care how cheap or good value it is.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #163 of 221
I can see why you would like it - with all your noisy heavy metal music, etc. :ksc75smile:

I have no idea what you mean :astonished::wink:

D3A1BB33-8D37-4E15-88B0-3B39E0B9310E.gif

Originally I went with absolute true to source sound but the closer I was getting the worse it would sound, more accurate and real yes but not really enjoyable.

The CMA400i is a fantastic amp that can power a lot of headphones, it has the more pristine digital, clean and precise sound and on balanced there’s punchier bass, sounds really nice with my AKGs, surprisingly they soak up a lot of power, even more than my senns. If you want a wire with gain amp i would suggest you check out the Gilmore lite mk2.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #164 of 221
Does anyone know where to get one? Analogue Seduction doesn't seem to carry it anymore.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #165 of 221
Does anyone know where to get one? Analogue Seduction doesn't seem to carry it anymore.
Maybe shoot them an email. It seems odd that they would continue to carry to the entire rest of the line, but not the rHead.
I also wouldn't be surprised if these showed up at Music Direct sometime this year given that they carry the bulk of Harman's luxury line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back