Arcam rHead Class-A Analogue Headphone Amplifier
Feb 8, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #181 of 221
I got a new one for 200€. Only very limited stock so far it seems. Hell of a combo with SMSL SU-8v2. Also using balanced interconnects. Seems like those two were made for each other :D

PS: yes i feel ashamed getting the arcam for that price!
Alittle off-topic but, do you happen to own the SMSL SH-8? And if so, how does it compare to the rHead?

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #182 of 221
Alittle off-topic but, do you happen to own the SMSL SH-8? And if so, how does it compare to the rHead?
sorry i dont. I just own the Questyle CMA400i and i prefer the SU-8/rHead combo, although the amp part of the Questyle is superior to the rHead imo. For the price the arcam is being sold though its a no brainer.

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #183 of 221
Class A solid state normally takes a few hours to settle in. I'm sure there is still burn in, but the first few hours/day of being plugged in will make the largest difference.

Maybe my ears are not that experienced, but my rHead sounded great out of the box without any burn in and I haven't noted any improvement (or decline) since then.

May 1, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #184 of 221
Has anyone been able to compare the rhead with any of the Graham Slee amps? In particular the Solo SRGII

May 5, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #185 of 221
Well I would have expected some reply. They are well known and popular amps and have been highly rated for many years!!

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #187 of 221
I was lucky enough to purchase the rHead from the official distributor in Romania (around 200 Euro).
I’m amazed and delighted by the sound of this little headphone amplifier.
Very underrated product for such great features, sound and build quality.

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #188 of 221
The rHead is being given away here in Australia with the purchase of a set of Aeon Flow headphones. The distributor must have a lot of excess stock or something. So, pay $1149 or whatever for the AFO/AFC and get a free rHead amp valued at $895 for nothing. Score!

I know this because I bought my AFOs for this very reason and was going to sell the rHead. But I’ve changed my mind after reading some reviews and comments here and elsewhere which suggest the amp might pair well with the AFOs after all.

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #190 of 221
Hello guys, I am the owner of an Arcam rHead and I have a problem with my unit and I need your help. Usually, I leave the amplifier off, only turning it on when I'm actually going to use it. When I turn on the device, the right channel keeps failing, sometimes without sound. Then I go and touch the volume button and the sound comes back on the right channel. I spend a little more time, the right channel is muted again. And it stays like that for about fifteen minutes. After that time the problem disappears and the amplifier works normally, happening again when I call it the other day, but only in the first fifteen minutes. Does this problem happen to anyone else?

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #192 of 221
I tried a nice Teddy Pardo PSU for a while, and it made a very very small difference... like not really worth doing. Maybe for listening really loud and using more difficult to drive headphones, but for my listening and with "normal" headphones it was hardly audible.

I was running a balanced power conditioner at the time so maybe it would be different with power straight from the wall. Or maybe a nicer PSU would make a difference but at the point the price discrepancy between amp and power supply would be pretty extreme.

May 29, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #193 of 221
Hi

I recently bought an Arcam rHead. I have a question about the volume control. On my unit the physical resistance of the volume knob changes as it is turned. Is this normal? From about 7.30 to 9.30 it is quite stiff. From 9.30 until 1 it is loose and easy to turn. From 1 onward it is stiffer with more more resistance. It is not smooth to turn and sticks slightly at 9 and 1.

May 29, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #194 of 221
The resistance in my unit is uniform throughout the journey.

May 29, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #195 of 221
Hi

I recently bought an Arcam rHead. I have a question about the volume control. On my unit the physical resistance of the volume knob changes as it is turned. Is this normal? From about 7.30 to 9.30 it is quite stiff. From 9.30 until 1 it is loose and easy to turn. From 1 onward it is stiffer with more more resistance. It is not smooth to turn and sticks slightly at 9 and 1.
My unit too has a uniform resistance throughout the range of motion, without any bump. If I represent it in a graph, it might look like a step curve. There is a threshold of force for it to move, but then the force is fixed once it starts moving. It is a pity that they discontinued this. I absolutely love the look and feel of this product. The Topping A50 looks like a promising alternative, but I just love the simplicity of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back