aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
May 17, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,246 of 2,091
Isn't necessary for these codecs. LDAC will convert everything to 32 bits regardless of input. Seems to be the same with aptX (at least libopenaptx does that)
LDAC will not do so if you use an App to stop that as that is the dumb way Android works due to its internal driver.

I use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amrg.bluetooth_codec_converter&hl=en_GB&gl=US

I have Poweramp playing 16/44.1 files exactly 16.44.1 with no resampling or upscaling in PowerAmp or Android.

I do not see the difference in Windows in fact it should be easier as rest of Codecs are 16bit (you can see that in ym screens) only the Codecs that are up to 24bit do not.

The hint is in the part "up to", a 24/96 Codec should be able to do 16/44.1

IMO LDAC is overrated anyway,

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #1,247 of 2,091
LDAC will not do so if you use to stop that as that is the dumb way Android works due to its internal driver.
It will. I literally just looked at libldac source code and it performs all calculations in 32 bit float (or integer for fixed point version).
The hint is in the part "up to", a 24/96 Codec should be able to do 16/44.1
Nothing guarantees that. Strictly speaking, nothing prevents any codec to just resample audio to whatever it wants, that's up to its implementation.

May 17, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,248 of 2,091
Just received the KB8P. So far so good.
One thing I noticed is that there is no difference in latency in "Low latency" or "High Quality mode" which leads me to believe that the high quality mode isn't actually being activated.
It sounds good tho with the momentum 4.

EDIT: Actually, just did a test with Counter-Strike. There's a very minimal latency increase in "High Quality" mode.

EDIT: Spent the rest of the day using it with PC and PS5, no crackling of the sound. Nice.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,249 of 2,091
It will. I literally just looked at libldac source code and it performs all calculations in 32 bit float (or integer for fixed point version).

Nothing guarantees that. Strictly speaking, nothing prevents any codec to just resample audio to whatever it wants, that's up to its implementation.
I am not going to get into an argument with you like you did continually to the author of this thread (no wonder he took a rest) so I will agree to disagree with you and move on.

As I said I do no really rate LDAC but that was all we had for 24/96 till recently which now is not the case.

May 18, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,250 of 2,091
Had a little experiment. So it works in my phone (for now). Definitely better than onboard BT :

S23 Ultra + FiiO UTWS5 ver 2 w/ UM Mentor (OG) + Creative BT-W5 using PowerAmp as Player

Disabled phone's bluetooth and paired BT-W5 to UTWS5 connected automatically to aptX Adaptive HQ (purple light).

mr2VZf6.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #1,251 of 2,091
Anyone familiar with how aptx adaptive is supposed to work in backward compatibility mode? I got some Yamaha TWS that claim to have sbc, aac, and adaptive. But my Pixel 6a just shows I am doing aptx connection only so I am confused.

Pixel 6a doesn't show aptx adaptive in developer options either. It has aptx hd though. But that shows gray when I connect my TWS. I know adaptive is backward compatible but I dont know if it is really running in adaptive or just falling back to the original aptx.

Maybe an app can help identify whats happening?

May 18, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,252 of 2,091
Had a little experiment. So it works in my phone (for now). Definitely better than onboard BT :

S23 Ultra + FiiO UTWS5 ver 2 w/ UM Mentor (OG) + Creative BT-W5 using PowerAmp as Player

Disabled phone's bluetooth and paired BT-W5 to UTWS5 connected automatically to aptX Adaptive HQ (purple light).

mr2VZf6.jpg
Is there an android app for BT-W5 yet?

May 18, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,253 of 2,091
Anyone familiar with how aptx adaptive is supposed to work in backward compatibility mode? I got some Yamaha TWS that claim to have sbc, aac, and adaptive. But my Pixel 6a just shows I am doing aptx connection only so I am confused.

Pixel 6a doesn't show aptx adaptive in developer options either. It has aptx hd though. But that shows gray when I connect my TWS. I know adaptive is backward compatible but I dont know if it is really running in adaptive or just falling back to the original aptx.

Maybe an app can help identify whats happening?
Tha has been talked about dozens of times, aptX Adaptive does not fall back to aptX HD only basic aptX, that was some marketing BS pre-launch as it does have a LL and HD Mode as we now see on some Dongles including the new Creative BT-W5

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,254 of 2,091
Is there an android app for BT-W5 yet?
I was going to reply to the above post about App support.

The dumb thing is Creative have the Creative App on both Android and Windows, but it does not support the Dongles on Android (only Ext Soundcards/DACS like X3/4 etc).

If it did that would beat all the Chinese Dongles as they only have a Windows Apps, but many do not have any App support.

May 18, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,255 of 2,091
I was going to reply to the above post about App support.

The dumb thing is Creative have the Creative App on both Android and Windows, but it does not support the Dongles on Android (only Ext Soundcards/DACS like X3/4 etc).

If it did that would beat all the Chinese Dongles as they only have a Windows Apps, but many do not have any App support.
Thanks, @helmutcheese. Given that I can't think of any reason to go for BT-W5 and will stick with KB9P which works quite well, and the PC app. is vry useful for managing connections.

May 18, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #1,256 of 2,091
Well, if it matters to you, the BT5 (QC????) for a fact is 24/96 BT, unlike the BT4 (QC3056) at 24/48 BT and we do not have any proof the KB8/9 series are 24/96 (QCC3040) BT whereas all can be set to 24/96 on the USB side.

May 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,257 of 2,091
Well, if it matters to you, the BT5 (QC????) for a fact is 24/96 BT, unlike the BT4 (QC3056) at 24/48 BT and we do not have any proof the KB8/9 series are 24/96 (QCC3040) BT whereas all can be set to 24/96 on the USB side.
Ah, 24 / 96 would be nice, esp. if could be confirmed. Is the BT5 Win 11 app. as functional as is the KB9P Win 11 app.?

May 18, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #1,258 of 2,091
No clue as past 3-4 Win 11 Canary builds are a mess, so the Creative App and SB Command do not see devices, but I used it for months on the BT4.

You can Pair/Factory Clear/ (has a lot of sound enhancement features) but cannot choose the Codec as that is Auto inside the App since the BT4, whereas it was done via the button on the BT3.

With the BT5 you can choose LL or HD/HQ Mode for aptX Adaptive but so far I cannot try it.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,259 of 2,091
Got it, assume BT-W5 auto. selects the highest performing codec / bit rate available, correct?

May 18, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,260 of 2,091
BTW, perhaps I'm being dense but how do I verify BT5 is transmitting 24 / 96...the purple indicator light just means HQ vs. LL. My Focal Bathys receiving headphones do not have an indicator to tell me what I'm receiving.

Thanks for clarifying @helmutcheese!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back