aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #676 of 2,091
Microsoft has licensed LC3 (and possibly LC3plus) but I don’t know the roadmap for its addition/availability.
Hopefully a patch will come out for Win10 too.
I have no plan to move to (that toy of an OS called) Win11 just for a BT codec lol.

Btw, I've never seen a LHDC dongle around. Does one exist?
I grabbed a pair of Fiio FW5 (Aptx Adaptive/LHDC). Fiio promised the next firmware will add LDAC. It will be good to have options however.

LE Audio is part of the BT 5.2 standard so LC3 should too. Maybe the QCC5141 will be made compatible with a firmware update (just like the 5171)? Hopefully :)
Aptx Lossless looks out of the question..

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #677 of 2,091
Ordered the FW5's, how I do not regret esp. as for the price they have no ANC/AMB but are aimed more at SQ, not sure if they are slightly open and I like a good passive seal and of so I will not sue outside as it would drive me crazy.

I would have hoped for better battery esp on modern Chipset but the AMP and 3 drivers no doubt eat it up, they could/should have upped them to QCC5071 and BT 5.3 this late in the day.

Would seem by video on their YT channel that the ones they have support LDAC as the LED is white (top) on the BTA30 PRO (which does not support LHDC).

EDIT: Looks slightly blue (due to angle), but no way it is SBC as they should fall back to aptX which is Purple.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #680 of 2,091
Are there any USB C aptX Adaptive dongles out there that support Android?
https://www.nurasound.com/products/bluetooth-audio-transmitter

This is your premium USB-C dongle but it's got a premium price tag and I hear they're struggling to get these manufactured right now. #ProblemsInChina I have one on order which I got for only £29 in their KickStarter campaign. Sadly, that's long over and has gained a £30 price increase.

As helmutcheese alluded, there are earlier posts (probably of mine) which show the other USB-C dongle I obtained from Taobao. It's very small. I don't understand why it's not more popular and almost impossible to find on Aliexpress. It is limited to 16/48 and has no assistant software for changing settings. So, you take it as you get it.

Personally, I'd recommend getting a USB-A one and just use an A-to-C adapter. I got one which wraps around the phone which is pictured in earlier posts too. If you want for the KB8P or the KB9P you'd have software control of the codecs and some behaviours.

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #681 of 2,091
@pero you have this:

US $0.88 35%OFF | 180 Degree Elbow USB C Adapter Type C USB C OTG to USB Converter U Shape USB-C 3.0 Connector for Computer Phone Tablet Adapter
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPnVYok
-1089684660-371228770.jpg
Along with the KB8P/KB9P.

@helmutcheese
I asked them if they would consider moving to the 5171. They couldn't.. Don't know the reason though as the chipsets are quite compatible and the FW5 would be very future proof..
They're semi-open like the FD series. That's what Fiio confirmed. Also ambient mode is supported and it's similar to the UTWS5 one.
They should consider LC3/LC3plus too since we're dealing with BT 5.2 but this depends mostly on Qualcomm.

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #682 of 2,091
@pero you have this:

US $0.88 35%OFF | 180 Degree Elbow USB C Adapter Type C USB C OTG to USB Converter U Shape USB-C 3.0 Connector for Computer Phone Tablet Adapter
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPnVYok
-1089684660-371228770.jpg
Along with the KB8P/KB9P.

This adapter would put the KB8/P LED pointing to the back of your phone and you can't see the LED showing you what codec is being used. There is another version of the adapter that put the USB socket the other way at Ali.

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #684 of 2,091
I’ve got an update on aptX Lossless, now I’ve been living with it for just over 24hrs now… The ROG Phone 6 finally arrived yesterday.

Where to start… this is going to be very frustrating until they improve reporting/indication. Unless anyone’s got an Android app to recommend that shows Bluetooth transmission rate. So, as we suspected/knew, aptX Lossless is an extension of aptX Adaptive. Meaning as far as configuration is concerned, all you see is aptX Adaptive. There’s no UI choice of aptX Lossless. For the moment, we literally have Nura’s word for it that we’re actually achieving the 1.2Mb lossless rate. Nura direct you to the settings page in their app where it simply shows “aptX Adaptive HQ 44.1K” and that’s supposed to be it. I’m assuming you need to make sure you disable the 96KHz codec setting to stay at lossless instead of Hi-Res lossy.

So, Qualcomm, Google or phone vendors have got work to do, in terms of better flagging that the transmission rate is up to lossless.

As I was writing that, the codec switched, after a delay of about 30 seconds since I flipped the “switch”, into 96KHz mode and I could swear the 96kHz song, I was coincidentally listening to in ”lossless”, just shot up in depth and detail. It’s possible extra high transmission rate aptX Adaptive 24/96 sounds better than aptX Lossless. Maybe that shouldn’t be surprising.

Anyway, the NuraTrue Pro’s have a great sound signature as it is… so hearing them with the ROG Phone 6 as the source, really shows them off at their best. I’m happy with what I’m hearing whether it’s truly lossless or not.

Oh the bad news is that the QingYin 5171 BT cable‘s aptX Adaptive mode isn’t compatible with the ROG Phone 6 for some reason. Connects but zero sound. Works if you turn “HD audio” off, which sets it to SBC. You can go into the developer options and turn it up to AAC but that’s it. ASUS couldn’t give two rats’ asses. The feedback from QingYin so far is that they can’t comment until they get a chance to test with the ROG Phone 6 themselves. The QingYin 5171 is totally fine with my aptX Adaptive dongles… as are the NuraTrue Pro’s. So, don’t know what to make of this.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #685 of 2,091
Bluetooth Tweaker will show you the connected bitrate at time you refresh it but as you know it is not going to work on a USB Dongle.

I meant to MSG him ansd ask if he can get these to work as a Intel M2 card is PCI-E for WIFI and USB 2.0 for BT but it may be the protocols that differ, no real clue TBH.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #686 of 2,091
Bluetooth Tweaker will show you the connected bitrate at time you refresh it but as you know it is not going to work on a USB Dongle.

I meant to MSG him ansd ask if he can get these to work as a Intel M2 card is PCI-E for WIFI and USB 2.0 for BT but it may be the protocols that differ, no real clue TBH.
Can you ask him to make an Android version?

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #687 of 2,091
B84-CC47-F-19-C6-4-B7-A-A6-B4-BCF4-A5535280.jpg

So near and yet so far… this is a desktop aptX Lossless receiver. Not quite sure why it couldn’t Transmit too. This could indicate we’re getting closer.

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #688 of 2,091
I finally received the T9 today. That’s the boxy-shaped aptX Adaptive Transmitter with Optical, coax and 3.5mm aux.

Plan was to use it with the bedroom TV. Tried optical… pop, pop, pop constantly with interruption to sound and bad latency for watching TV. Strike 1

Tried using aux… really loud ground loop hum but continuous audio. The hum was too much to the point where I didn’t even check for lip sync. Strike 2

Just as a test, tried connecting an iPhone with the 3.5mm-to-lightning adapter to the T9. Initially and during physical connection the short circuit hum was there but once the lightning was solidly seated, the hum stopped and audio played perfectly. I’m guessing Apple is doing something there to protect the iPhone from overcurrent or something And it’s correcting the issue. Strike 3

I’ve contacted seller. Hoping I’ve just drawn the short straw with this particular unit.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #689 of 2,091
Seems to be good overall in comments section with no real issues, hopefully a bad unit but also a bad time of year to get another sent out, hope they do not want the old one back as cost of shipping/time wasted is not worth it.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #690 of 2,091
I've got a Strike 4 now... just tried it on my PC and the USB interface is disconnecting and reconnecting randomly making it completely unusable. Defo not a normal unit. The seller is asking me troubleshooting steps, I've already said in previous messages that I've tried and didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back