aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #2,028 of 2,080
Dual use devices? What do you mean? As in old SBC codec and new LC3? Or because it has a 3.5mm jack and usb dongle
Yes, look at the FMA120 screenshots. It has a toggle for bluetooth classic or LE. It still has various classic codecs, but no mention at all of what you get on LE. Presumably you can switch between Aptx lite and regular but who knows.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #2,029 of 2,080
Its nice to see more LE Audio adaptors on the market, but id just like to add I reviewed the eppfun 5.3 LE audio adaptor (last years version) and its linked in my signature and it was terrible, full of bugs, high latency and just too unstable with audio break ups with my LE audio creative zen headphones or B&W PX7s2s. There was no way to drop the high or low modes either despite the poorly written instructions saying its included and no help from the manufacturer/seller also. I doubt they get any software/support.

Sadly was similar with the other eppfun dongles, tx and rx devices regardless of aptx, LE or codec I still have several of them boxed and probably safer they never come back out of them.

If you really must get it, try and search on Ali express for the eppfun store its usually priced much cheaper, Amazon do next day etc but price it very expensive due to it.
Received the order yesterday. I have not yet been able to pair/function with Sen 4 TWE. If anyone can comment on their experience with getting AptX Lossless from this dongle please do.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #2,030 of 2,080
Received the order yesterday. I have not yet been able to pair/function with Sen 4 TWE. If anyone can comment on their experience with getting AptX Lossless from this dongle please do.
To speculate the headset has 16khz lc3 enabled by mistake. The amazon listing claims that you have to use LE if it’s available. I seemed to be able to connect on LE but there was usually no codec or bitrate able to be used on the MTW4. You should try another bluetooth headset. I think MTW4 enabling full LC3 may fix that.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #2,031 of 2,080
To speculate the headset has 16khz lc3 enabled by mistake. The amazon listing claims that you have to use LE if it’s available. I seemed to be able to connect on LE but there was usually no codec or bitrate able to be used on the MTW4. You should try another bluetooth headset. I think MTW4 enabling full LC3 may fix that.
I did as you suggested and tried it on the Nura Tru 507. The lossless mode was active right away! Sound quality from my iBasso DX320 with 14 insert was just great. Hard to believe BT could be this good. Many thanks for your tip!

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #2,032 of 2,080
I tried the dongle. If it shines Red, Aptx Lossless is enabled. Have random disconnections with it though. My unit might be bad 🤷.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #2,033 of 2,080
I have been following this thread and when I read about the Eppfun dongle I immediately ordered one. I received it today and tried it with my NuraTrue Pro. I was very excited to finally get lossless audio working, but unfortunately it does not connect with Aptx Lossless. It works fine with Aptx Adaptive High Quality. I'm not even sure if the problem is with the NuraTrue or the dongle, but I don't think there's anything I can do about it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #2,034 of 2,080
I have been following this thread and when I read about the Eppfun dongle I immediately ordered one. I received it today and tried it with my NuraTrue Pro. I was very excited to finally get lossless audio working, but unfortunately it does not connect with Aptx Lossless. It works fine with Aptx Adaptive High Quality. I'm not even sure if the problem is with the NuraTrue or the dongle, but I don't think

there's anything I can do

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #2,035 of 2,080
I have been following this thread and when I read about the Eppfun dongle I immediately ordered one. I received it today and tried it with my NuraTrue Pro. I was very excited to finally get lossless audio working, but unfortunately it does not connect with Aptx Lossless. It works fine with Aptx Adaptive High Quality. I'm not even sure if the problem is with the NuraTrue or the dongle, but I don't think there's anything I can do about it.
What model did you get? Eppfun has many dongle transmitters. Only the Eppfun AK3040 Pro Max supports Lossless and shows a static red light when in that mode

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #2,037 of 2,080
What model did you get? Eppfun has many dongle transmitters. Only the Eppfun AK3040 Pro Max supports Lossless and shows a static red light when in that mode

Yes, I got the AK3040 Pro Max.

The Nuratrue Pro app doesn't have a toggle to choose Aptx lossless. It automatically chooses the Codec depending on the conditions. Gotta make sure Dirac Spatial Audio is turned off. If on, the Nuras only exhibit Aptx Adaptive 16/48

Oh, I didn't know about the Spatial Audio, I've turned it off now.

I have now managed to connect with Aptx Lossless through my MacBook! In the Nura app it shows up as "aptX Adaptive HQ 44.1K" and the transmitter light is red.
On my phone (Google Pixel 7 Pro) I can't get it to work with Lossless - only Adaptive HQ, in the Nura app it shows up as "aptX Adaptive HQ 96K" with an orange transmitter light.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #2,038 of 2,080
Yes, I got the AK3040 Pro Max.

Oh, I didn't know about the Spatial Audio, I've turned it off now.

I have now managed to connect with Aptx Lossless through my MacBook! In the Nura app it shows up as "aptX Adaptive HQ 44.1K" and the transmitter light is red.
On my phone (Google Pixel 7 Pro) I can't get it to work with Lossless - only Adaptive HQ, in the Nura app it shows up as "aptX Adaptive HQ 96K" with an orange transmitter light.

Thanks for your help!

Update:

It works on my phone now. It depends on the settings in Tidal: If I set the quality in Tidal to Max (up to 24 bit, 192 kHz), it automatically switches to Adaptive HQ (orange light and "Adaptive 96K" in the Nura app). If I use High quality in Tidal (16 bit, 44.1kHz), it seems to use Lossless (Red light and "Adaptive 44.1K" in the Nura app).

What do you think of this? Seems a bit strange to me.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #2,039 of 2,080
Update:

It works on my phone now. It depends on the settings in Tidal: If I set the quality in Tidal to Max (up to 24 bit, 192 kHz), it automatically switches to Adaptive HQ (orange light and "Adaptive 96K" in the Nura app). If I use High quality in Tidal (16 bit, 44.1kHz), it seems to use Lossless (Red light and "Adaptive 44.1K" in the Nura app).

What do you think of this? Seems a bit strange to me.
My ROG 8 phone does the same. You may need to manually turn off Qualcomm 24/96 in the Qualcomm Codec Preference option in your phone's setting. That setting on will automatically switch to Aptx adaptive 24/96 when a Hi-Res file is played. On the dongle that setting is automatic and can't be switched off. So pretty much Tidal must be on High Quality to enjoy Aptx Lossless

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #2,040 of 2,080
My ROG 8 phone does the same. You may need to manually turn off Qualcomm 24/96 in the Qualcomm Codec Preference option in your phone's setting. That setting on will automatically switch to Aptx adaptive 24/96 when a Hi-Res file is played. On the dongle that setting is automatic and can't be switched off. So pretty much Tidal must be on High Quality to enjoy Aptx Lossless

Oh, thank you. I see there are a lot of things to know about all this. So Tidal's Max quality doesn't matter with this hardware, right? Which makes sense, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back