April Music Eximus DP-1
Feb 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #196 of 803
Thanks for explaining this so elaborately jcx.

Though it still all sounds complicated to me you did a fine job of making me understand most of it.
It seems like quality components have been used throughout and the right decisions have been made for the Eximus.

One question comes up though when I read your words. From a tecjnical standpoint, do you think the Eximus would do a better job driving low impedance cans (40-50 Ohm) or high impedance ones (300 Ohms and above). I think I understand from your explanation it should do very well with low impedance ones, am I correct?

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #198 of 803

Quote:
TI recommends a 10 ohm resistance at the output to avoid issues with capacitive loads, the headamp section is non ideal for multidrivers BA IEMs.

I actually liked what I heard when I sampled the headphone out of this DAC using my Sony BAs (at least better than the RSA amp I tried to place between my iPhone and the earphones). They're very low impedance / high sensitivity but I didn't hear so much hiss (the meet environment was fairly noisy though). Maybe I was just impressed by how this D/A could convey such resolution while not sounding brittle in any fashion. Even with a less than ideal amp/earphone pairing, it still sounded pretty awesome to tell the truth!

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #199 of 803
Quote:
Quote:
TI recommends a 10 ohm resistance at the output to avoid issues with capacitive loads, the headamp section is non ideal for multidrivers BA IEMs.

I actually liked what I heard when I sampled the headphone out of this DAC using my Sony BAs (at least better than the RSA amp I tried to place between my iPhone and the earphones). They're very low impedance / high sensitivity but I didn't hear so much hiss (the meet environment was fairly noisy though). Maybe I was just impressed by how this D/A could convey such resolution while not sounding brittle in any fashion. Even with a less than ideal amp/earphone pairing, it still sounded pretty awesome to tell the truth!

I meant theoretically non ideal, I made no assumption regarding how they may or may not sound
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #200 of 803
I got a listen to the DP1 this afternoon, only for an hour as it was a demo-room affair, and the DP1 was cold out of the box (and then being packed up again to go out to a customer immediately afterwards as it had been sold between arranging the demo and my turning up).  I took my Wadia 170 with ipod, the spdif cable the Wadia came with, and my HD800s with cardas recable.

The DP1 is a truly beautiful bit of kit, fit and finish were impeccable and the whole thing oozed quality.  It made we want to sit and stroke it, but I resisted that temptation as it had been sold already. :)  The sound out of the box was remarkably detailed, silky smooth and open.  Unfortunately it was also on the bright side with my HD800s and I could tell within a few minutes that it wouldn't suit me, but I listened for the whole hour anyway as it had been quite a drive to get there.

I tried the upsampling button briefly, but any changes were comparatively subtle and I left it off for most of the demo.  I also tried the bass boost button (Filter) which had quite a profound impact on the sound, perhaps exaggerated by the brightness otherwise.  It reminded me of adding a subwoofer to the system, though its been a long time since I used one of those.  The sound did fill out as a result of using it, but the bass felt rather disconnected so I only used it for a couple of tracks.  I didn't A/B the DP1 with anything so can't go into much more detail, but it sounded like the 6moons review indicated, except for the tendency to brightness with my headphones. It was never harsh, it remained silky throughout, but I couldn't quite relax with it.

The DP1 retails for £2k in the UK, which means it competes directly with the Grace m903.  Has anyone compared those two with the HD800s?  The Grace I'll probably need to buy on sale or return, which I'm not fond of doing, but is it any warmer than the DP1?  If not then I'll cross it off my list.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #201 of 803
I think the hint of brightness is because of the unit not having been burned in at all.
It goes away with burn in, only the silky smooth but very detailed highs remain after that.
A headphone amp gets better with burn in IMO, I noticed changes in every amp I had.
Not sure about the DAC part though.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #202 of 803
The headphone output of the DP1 is 0.1 Ohm, correct?

Quote:

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #203 of 803
Quote:
The headphone output of the DP1 is 0.1 Ohm, correct?

Quote:

AS far as I know, it's not in the specs.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #206 of 803
Quote:
I'm looking for a vibration/resonance control solution on the cheap and these moongels sound pretty interesting. The only issue I can see though is that they're adhesive/sticky, which makes me slightly uncomfortable re: placing them under or on expensive-ish hifi gear. Are there any non-adhesive versions available to your knowledge, or do you have any experience with how sticky they actually are (do they leave residue when unattached, e.g.)?

Personally, I used dual-sided thermal tape(Chomerics T412). It doesn't leave any residue and is essentially a thick layer of aluminium foil so it also helps w/ thermal transfers. Install tall metal isolation feet + felt/rubber feet et voilà: the underside of the DP-1 is vented more efficiently, the heat goes into the feet and the rubber/felt does its job, best of both worlds IMO 
cool.gif

Quote:
I am assuming that the headphone amp portion of my unit was simply defective.

Yup, sounds like you got a dud...it happens to every manufacturer I guess.
Anyway, I've been rather silent lately coz things haven't changed much here...still very much in audio nirvana territory 

I should soon get ahold of that XMOS based USB transport that can output isolated I2S, it can also use an external PSU(eg. linear regulated) so that'll allow me to play around a bit further...I'm eager to put the I2S input of the DP-1 to the test! It's there, gotta use it. Pics to come 
regular_smile .gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #208 of 803
Feb 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #209 of 803
I have a Grace m903 and do not find it warm sounding. It's in fact a bit brighter sounding than what I was used to, but for me with my Stax SR-007mk1 this is a good thing, because the SR-007 has a warm sound of its own. Although 'brighter' often has a negative connotation, I think the highs of the Grace m903 are actually a very strong point, smooth and highly detailed. Overall I find the Grace m903 to sound very neutral. I have never listened to the DP1, but earlier in this thread somebody said it was a bit warm and sweet sounding. So, the DP1 is probably the warmer sounding device of these two.

For what it's worth, the Grace m903 also uses the XMOS chip and Thesycon driver.

Quote:
The DP1 retails for £2k in the UK, which means it competes directly with the Grace m903.  Has anyone compared those two with the HD800s?  The Grace I'll probably need to buy on sale or return, which I'm not fond of doing, but is it any warmer than the DP1?  If not then I'll cross it off my list.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #210 of 803
Stormfriend,

I've had an imported Grace m903 for about six months and have recently acquired an Eximus DP-1. To my ears the DP-1 is the more sonically involving and musical unit. The differences are quite nuanced and probably due to personal listening preference, but they are there in an `analogue' versus `digital' kind of way.

Anyway, if you're anywhere near Norfolk and want to listen to both units send me a PM.

Cheers.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back