April Music Eximus DP-1
Mar 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #241 of 803

Quote:
Well, the Stello U2 has a I2S output(prolly not isolated, but its Tenor TE7022L chip is fully compatible w/ ADuM4160
tongue_smile.gif
) and yes all their CD players seem to be carrying one as well.

The Off Ramp 5 can be had with I2S configured for a Stello DAC. Any thoughts on the OR5 for this application?

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #242 of 803

Quote:
The Off Ramp 5 can be had with I2S configured for a Stello DAC. Any thoughts on the OR5 for this application?

I don't think the potentially audible improvement of providing an isolated I2S signal would warrant the $1.3K price tag over the already very capable built-in async USB input. Putting that money into a TOTL phone or a colored amp(if you like your sound really really sweet) would make far more sense IMHO.

And isolation is not a black/white matter: http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/which-digital-isolators-for-i2s-or-not/

You gain galvanic isolation, but that will also increase jitter and signal distortion. Whichever one will sound better needs to be tested IRL....not a $1.3K worth gamble IMO.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #243 of 803
Hi Lee Perry.  In Lilith, do you use Wasapi or Asio (with mixer) as rendering device?  The latter seems a bit sharper but not sure I prefer it.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #244 of 803

Quote:

Do you still have access to the Stello U3? That would be an interesting look into the S?PDIF effects in comparison with the integrated U3 module.

DP-1 pre-order price: $2875.50 

http://soundapproach.com/april-music-eximus-dacpreheadphone-p-2974.html

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #247 of 803

Quote:
In Lilith, do you use Wasapi or Asio (with mixer) as rendering device?  The latter seems a bit sharper but not sure I prefer it.

WASAPI is a low level access to the WDM driver, bypassing the DS layer. The ASIO driver is provided by Thesycon and is a direct link to their hardware driver...and yes they both sound quite different from even ASIO4ALL(that goes Kernel Streaming). A4A seems to sound colored to death on the XMOS chipset IME.

I think we should be glad to have so many different options, and I personally use the native ASIO implementation provided by Thesycon.

Quote:
Do you still have access to the Stello U3? That would be an interesting look into the S/PDIF effects in comparison with the integrated U3 module.

I unfortunately don't, but I see the coax input of the DP-1 as the coax input on a top of the line plasma screen....it's mostly here for compatiblity purposes, going USB/I2S is the way to go. Many DAC builders have given up on coax altogether, because it's a terribly flawed protocol and all it does is increase the length of the I2S path to the DAC chips.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #248 of 803

Quote:
WASAPI is a low level access to the WDM driver, bypassing the DS layer. The ASIO driver is provided by Thesycon and is a direct link to their hardware driver...and yes they both sound quite different from even ASIO4ALL(that goes Kernel Streaming). A4A seems to sound colored to death on the XMOS chipset IME.

I think we should be glad to have so many different options, and I personally use the native ASIO implementation provided by Thesycon.

Just to be clear, in Lilith, two of my options are Wasapi -> Speakers (XMOS XS1-L 1 Audio)...and....Asio (with mixer) -> TUSBAudio Asio Driver.  Aren't they both the Thesycon driver, as it were?   OS is Windows 7, 64 bit.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #250 of 803
I would like to get know more how you compare the Eximus headamp with other headamps. I will compare it with the Violectric next week.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #251 of 803
Finally heard this beauty today out of a speaker system as a DAC. Very dynamic sounding with good extension to top and bottom while vocal and midrange in general seemed to be pushed upfront compared to the rest of the frequencies. The treble has a good air to it but it seems to be a bit harsh and brittle, probably the weakest aspect of the sound. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #252 of 803
An update on my still burning in DP-1.  I have left the unit on straight since I got it.  Almost a full week now.  This thing is super detailed, i mean im hearing things now that I was not able with other dacs.  And it shows with lesser quality recordings.  The DP-1 is not as forgiving as the Minimax dac with lesser quality recordings.  It just spit out what it been feed.  On some live Led Zeppelin recordings its very easy to hear the difference.  On good recordings this thing really good.  Using Foobar with Win7.  I tried the Jriver+Jplay combo and to my hears is barely any difference.  With J combo the sound is very slightly better across all freq.  This is specially with vocals.  Like on The Doors, LA Woman (40th Aniv.  Edition)  Disk 2, the vocals are little bit clearer and crispier.  But it just too damn complicated compared to Foobar.  Im using the trial version and if im not mistaken its cost around 250.00 for both.  I think I can use that amount to get a better usb cable.  Maybe a future version of foobar can equal or better it. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #254 of 803

Quote:
My hearing requires a flatish frequency response, and apparently does not seem to work well with any kind of extraneous warmth. Extended highs are welcomed. I'm wondering if the DP-1 fits this description?

Not warm, not cold, extension both sides, lots of detail.
I'm talking phones out of the Eximus here, else it gets difficult to separate what exactly the amp does and what the Eximus does.

So in my opinion, the amp inside the Eximus is pretty good and beats any phones out of a Dac I heard so far.
It even matches some quality amps. After burn in that is. I left mine playing 24/7 for at least three weeks.

And a nice increase in soundstage since I introduced it into my system.
So I'm a pretty happy fellow!  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back