Apple's Safari on a PC.
Mar 19, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 37
ff3 beta has been pretty annoying as of late. the hotkey to go to the home page (alt+home) breaks when the screen saver loads and it is slow...and firefox still handles tabs the stupid way imo; I wish that they would open after the active tab. Bah revision3 is still slow for me too.

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to dig around for an article I read recently from the guys who take care of security for PayPal. They actually give the thumbs-down to Safari because it apparently doesn't do as many security checks as IE and Firefox. (I don't think Opera was mentioned.)

I'll see what I can find, and post here. I'm thinking it was on /.

EDIT: Here it is: Macworld | PayPal: Steer clear of Safari

After reading that article Safari will be uninstalled. I use PayPal a lot. I even bought 2 ysed pair of headphones here at Head-Fi using PP.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by konceited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading that article Safari will be uninstalled. I use PayPal a lot. I even bought 2 ysed pair of headphones here at Head-Fi using PP.

I actually prefer NOT having automated anti-phishing detection. It creates the bad habit of falsely building your trust in a breakable automated system. Whenever I use PayPal or something like that, I open a clean browser window and type in the address I am going to for myself.

--Chris

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 37
i hate itunes and ive never used safari, except for the iphone, i will keep away from Macs, i love WMP11 and its interface, my favourites is how i can use all 17inches (bar a side bar) to display all the artists in album art form, and i love the way i can make it dark green/blue

adblocking, side bar, various search bars, weather, video downloader, custom skins, spell checker and it remebers everything if it crashes,

laptop with 4gb of ram having 20 tabs across 2 full size windows works fine

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #22 of 37
3.1 was released, then as a hacker had demonstrated a security bug in a competition, where he won a MacBook he hacked into via Safari, Apple released 3.1.1 to rectify that.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Safari is excellent on a mac. But not on windows

Opera is excellent on a pc.
But not on mac.

Opera has been terrible for me on Vista. I don't know what to do. I'm considering downgrading (or upgrading depending on your view) to Windows XP or maybe even 2000.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #25 of 37
safari is good, but i would stay away from it for now. it is too buggy, plus its the first release. also the lack of addons is not good. go with firefox, or opera. they are very fast, and have loads of add ons.
and in terms of speed it goes like:
opera
firefox (with the right addons. its just over time it does use up a lot of memory. supposed to be fixed in ff3)
safari (when it actaully works)
ie7 (ie8 is apparently not going to give a big difference)
for more information: What's the best beta? IE 8 vs Opera 9.5 vs Safari vs Firefox 3 - Crave at CNET.co.uk

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #26 of 37
@450
if you do not opera, try firefox. its brilliant on vista. and have you installed sp1? that may solve some problems. i really do not have problems with vista, but if you downgrade do not go to 2000. xp is just a better version of 2000 with more dirvers etc. but i really like vista. its brilliant on a half decent machine.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #27 of 37
I used Safari for about a day and then just went back to my beloved Firefox. There are still some compatibility issues with the Safari.
Anyway, if I want a Mac look on my browser, I'll just download a Skin to my FF.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used Safari for about a day and then just went back to my beloved Firefox. There are still some compatibility issues with the Safari.
Anyway, if I want a Mac look on my browser, I'll just download a Skin to my FF.

yup, what skin do you use for ff?

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #29 of 37
I cant get opera to work well w/ flash on linux (Ubuntu Hardy Beta 2), so I use Firefox 3 Beta 5. Perfectly stable imho, except for flash videos, but that is adobe's fault for the crappy driver.

EDIT - I just got it working by installing Opera 9.50b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back