Apple's Safari on a PC.
Mar 19, 2008 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

konceited

Head-Fier
Anyone else trying Safari on a PC? I'm loving Safari and I use Apple Lossless on iTunes. I might need to savee up and buy a Mac.
eek.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 37
I tried it when it just came out for PC. However, I am too used to Firefox and use a lot of shortcuts.

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 37
The one thing that kills it is that windows antialiasing is horrible, whereas linux and macos both manage crisp, smooth, antialiased interfaces. Still, safari (even on a mac, where I just use firefox) seems archaic to me, I don't know why.

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 37
The anti-aliasing is debatable, but it did not use Windows default. Supposedly the option has already been integrated into WebKit, so it should show in Safari in Windows soon. Or that's the rumor anyway.

And don't get me started on Firefoxs text display on the Mac!
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 37
I prefer Firefox, but the latest OSX builds have been terribly unstable, so I've gone back to Safari. I still use Firefox in Windows though, it's just a bit better laid out than Safari IMO and I like the plug-ins.

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 37
Yes, I run Safari on a PC.
A MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.5 that is (which is a PC as well..).

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 37
I don't even use Safari on my Mac - so no plans to use on PC...

Camino has been great to me for Mac, and Firefox for PC

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 37
Not a big fan of Apple software on Windows. Itunes and Quicktime are horrible and Safari is so-so.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 37
I'm going to dig around for an article I read recently from the guys who take care of security for PayPal. They actually give the thumbs-down to Safari because it apparently doesn't do as many security checks as IE and Firefox. (I don't think Opera was mentioned.)

I'll see what I can find, and post here. I'm thinking it was on /.

EDIT: Here it is: Macworld | PayPal: Steer clear of Safari

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love opera, just wish google would show it some love
frown.gif

for most google apps i have to fire up memory leaking firefox

You probably know FF memory issues supposedly are mostly corrected in FF3, but I can tell you Google is extending a lot of love to Opera. I really can't get into details, but there are major Opera "bugs" and Goog is obviously pushing things a bit concerning "standards." It probably sounds like a cop-out, but if you want to focus the lack of love (as opposed to IE, FF/Mozilla and increasingly Safari), a fair share should be in the direction of Oslo.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back