Apple's Safari on a PC.
Apr 19, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #31 of 37
Apr 19, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #33 of 37
I use Safari running my MacBook and also when I use Boot Camp with Windows XP. I also use Firefox, and very rarely Explorer. The differences between Firefox and Safari are minimal to me.I am finding out I am using Firefox less and less, and Safari more and more. Both have the ability to increase font size using ctrl +, Explorer doesn't.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #34 of 37
Safari on Windows is a terrible joke. iTunes has an excuse for not integrating into the Windows look-and-feel, Safari does not. Then again most Windows programs have about as consistent a look-and-feel as X11 programs on Linux or BSD, so Apple is far from the only offender. And Safari for Windows when I last tried it was buggy as hell and crashed constantly. Opera just isn't compatible with enough web sites (it doesn't emulate the Internet Explorer and Gecko rendering bugs all that well), Firefox has memory leaks in the Gecko rendering engine that have carried over from the ancient Mozilla suite days, and Internet Explorer is slow and has a terrible UI.

On my Mac I have no major issues with Safari. It is fast enough, has a decent UI, and is pretty stable. Firefox on OS X (even the FF3 beta) is terrible all around and Opera just isn't very Mac-like. Camino is good but the Gecko rendering engine has too many issues.

About my biggest annoyance when using Safari is that certain sites try to insist my browser isn't compatible and that I "upgrade" to Firefox 2. I think those web developers should be forced to suffer with FF2 on an older PowerPC Mac and then they'd rethink that. And WebKit is more compatible with more sites than Gecko is. I'd much rather try to code a site for Safari and Opera than Firefox.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #35 of 37
I prefer firefox on both my PC and my Mac, though I must admit that was a decision of convenience.

I have problem browsing effortlessly on firefox, and I rely on many of the extensions. There is nothing I notice that safari does better. I tried safari on PC, and it looked awful to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back