Apple Touch 6G 128GB - Info and impressions 5G vs 6G
Jul 11, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #153 of 161
I am at the brink of buying an ipod touch 5 for listening in my holiday times.

But I am using an iphone 6+ as well.

Do you think that it would be a worthy purchase or should I continue with my 6+ to listen music?

(Headphones aren't a question. I have many different hps and iems as I am a reviewer)

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #154 of 161
I am at the brink of buying an ipod touch 5 for listening in my holiday times.

But I am using an iphone 6+ as well.

Do you think that it would be a worthy purchase or should I continue with my 6+ to listen music?

(Headphones aren't a question. I have many different hps and iems as I am a reviewer)

Do you find the iPhone 6+ not up to the task?

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #156 of 161
I don't enjoy my phone as a player because:

I hate getting notifications while enjoying music

Phones sometimes throw interference, especially if paired with portable DAC/amps

Multi tasking phones sometimes make music listening a choppy experience

Phones hate the gym

Phone battery is at a premium already

I'm sure I could think of more excuses for you to give to the Mrs to buy a new toy......
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #160 of 161
Wait, if you're using an outboard DAC/AMP how are there ANY audible differences?

I had to scroll back to page number 3 to get a proper context for your quote :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/app...ressions-5g-vs-6g.766380/page-3#post-11784443

The comment (buried within a long post) was a tongue in cheek to the often used throw away converstaion killer comment that was common at the time that digital is all 1s and 0s so anything digital out cables, dacs etc is waste of time.

But as you can see by my many posts in this thread where I compare the different ipod touches (sometimes with external dacs). I dont agree.

Having used many external dac amps and a wide range of digital cables and also sources there are many easily audible differences between them.

The difference in the 5G vs 6G with an external dac/amp could be due to the processing power under the 6G hood. But I dunno. I made that post a long time ago.

Any way the Mods would probably prefer any debate on this to be done in the Sound Science section .

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #161 of 161
I had to scroll back to page number 3 to get a proper context for your quote :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/app...ressions-5g-vs-6g.766380/page-3#post-11784443

The comment (buried within a long post) was a tongue in cheek to the often used throw away converstaion killer comment that was common at the time that digital is all 1s and 0s so anything digital out cables, dacs etc is waste of time.

But as you can see by my many posts in this thread where I compare the different ipod touches (sometimes with external dacs). I dont agree.

Having used many external dac amps and a wide range of digital cables and also sources there are many easily audible differences between them.

The difference in the 5G vs 6G with an external dac/amp could be due to the processing power under the 6G hood. But I dunno. I made that post a long time ago.

Any way the Mods would probably prefer any debate on this to be done in the Sound Science section .

I certainly agree with you about DACs making large and easily obvious changes to the sound. But in this comparison, you're using the same DAC, the only thing you changed is the transport being used to provide the 1s and 0s. That doesn't make any difference in sound. Nor can different USB cables. The bits are all the same; the only possible window for audible differences is in what you actually DO with the raw bits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back