Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #436 of 871
Sony DAPs are quite different from chi-fi in design and implementation (i.e. no off-the-shelf DAC and amps). It might be best to take a look at the specific threads here in the forum. I think they sound great, but like many things hi-fi, opinions vary:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-sony-40th-anniversary-walkman-thread.909629/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/

Thanks. I own Sony Daps. ZX2 & ZX300, & happy with them. You have been listening to Apple Music on your model ? If so, are you happy with it ?

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #437 of 871
Thanks. I own Sony Daps. ZX2 & ZX300, & happy with them. You have been listening to Apple Music on your model ? If so, are you happy with it ?

The latest beta version of Apple Music (1114) is working fine on both my ZX507 and A105 with lossless enabled. Atmos doesn't seem to work, but I believe that is true for most Android DAPs. As far as sound quality - it sounds like a Sony... not any different than Tidal or Amazon in high resolution (that I can detect). :sunglasses:

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #438 of 871
The latest beta version of Apple Music (1114) is working fine on both my ZX507 and A105 with lossless enabled. Atmos doesn't seem to work, but I believe that is true for most Android DAPs. As far as sound quality - it sounds like a Sony... not any different than Tidal or Amazon in high resolution (that I can detect). :sunglasses:

Thanks for the feedback. I really love how Apple lossless & Hi Res Lossless sounds through my Sony TA-ZH1ES Dac / Amp, so I’m definitely tempted to purchase one of the Sony Walkman’s.

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #439 of 871
Thanks for the feedback. I really love how Apple lossless & Hi Res Lossless sounds through my Sony TA-ZH1ES Dac / Amp, so I’m definitely tempted to purchase one of the Sony Walkman’s.

I guess the question is when will Sony release updated versions? It been almost 2 years since release...

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #441 of 871
Luxury & Precision W2 dongle, dual DAC with SE and a 4.4 balanced output. The balanced can run 230mw with absurdly great measurements.
I agree 100%. The W2 has even replaced my expensive Astell & Kern DAP, no regrets!

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #445 of 871
Seems super annoying to update the firmware What. Can't find much on it.
If you have a Windows machine it’s fine. I use Mac but I have an old Windows laptop lying around and it’s really no big deal.

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #448 of 871
Luxury & Precision W2 dongle, dual DAC with SE and a 4.4 balanced output. The balanced can run 230mw with absurdly great measurements.
Thanks for the clarification. This looks like it might be perfect. I tried to find a simple, high-quality inline dac when I bought my M11 a couple years ago, but couldn’t find anything that really seemed to fit.

I just picked up a Shanling m3x off the classifieds here that arrives tomorrow, but I might grab a w2 also and just keep the one I like better.

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #449 of 871
I agree 100%. The W2 has even replaced my expensive Astell & Kern DAP, no regrets!
This is high praise. I’d like to be able to keep all my music on my phone with great sound, but without a clunky dac/amp stack, so going to check this out.

I’ve tried a dragonfly in the past, but it was just a bit too unwieldy because of the multiple dongles needed to make it work with an iPhone. The short dongle from lightning to usb-c seems like the difference maker.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #450 of 871
I have been the whole day listening to the AK SR25 with my Denon AH-D7200 headphones with Apple Music 3.6 Beta 1115, last versio. With this version finally Apple Music hires works wonderfully. Previously only lossless worked well, hires had too many bugs to be usable. Now, there are (almost) no bugs. The sound quality is excellent to my ears. Killer combination AK+Denon+Apple Music hires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back