Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jul 14, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #451 of 871
Anyone know where to find the changelog on the different builds (1115 etc) ?

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #452 of 871
I just got the Shanling M3X in today and installed 3.6 Beta 1115 through the APK Mirror app. There are a couple little quirks with the beta, but everything sounds great and works well. My ears aren't refined enough to hear the difference between it and my old M11 that Apple Music won't work with, so I'm happy. Downloads to the MicroSD card work flawlessly too, which is super important for me.

I also ended up buying an L&P W2 I found on the Classifieds today, so will be able to see whether I like phone+dongle or DAP better. Overall, I'm happy to be able to consolidate streaming down to one service.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #454 of 871
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #456 of 871
So any word on Apple doing anything new with Airplay or are they just proving their move to lossless was mostly marketing?

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #458 of 871
I mean...it's not mostly marketing...it's there. Apple moves at it's own pace...always has and always will :)
Completely agree. For me it is not mostly marketing. I am now listening to Apple Music in hires in my SR25. Also use everyday my AppleTV4k with Apple Music in lossles connected to my stereo. It will fantastic to have in the future hires headphones for direct connection to Iphone and IPad and some wireless means (Airplay 3?) of transmission but lossless and hires are a reality already. And a very fine reality imo!

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #459 of 871
Of course it’s real. But that doesn’t mean it’s not just mostly marketing for Apple Music. They basically flipped a switch on a server. If they were fully into lossless, the whole business would realign under a new standard but right now it looks like the whole of Apple’s hardware and software divisions is fine with 256kbps AAC. Apple Music gets to check a box in order to sell a few more subs but no Apple hardware besides that which can already handle lossless audio for video can now handle lossless music. They can’t even find a way to let 3rd party audio equipment access Apple Music lossless directly like literally every other streaming service. Airplay is fine for your car but it sounds like crap if you’re actually into quality audio.

I gotta say, It’s a little weird that you guys are so confident that Apple is going to do things it usually doesn’t do, like make it easier to break out of Apple’s locked-in ecosystem. Apple is interested in selling more hardware, not letting other hardware makers access to Apple’s toys. At best, lossless will be something that an AirPods revision will be able to access. But I doubt we’ll ever see BluOS allowed to be an Apple Music endpoint for example.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #460 of 871
Whats wrong with Airplay? We're using it to stream lossless now, whats not to like?

And I think all the issues are an indightment of Music and Airplay as a whole, like others said, Apple moves at its own pace without rhyme or reason sometimes. They introduce standards and then kill them off, they go heavy on something and then leave the app to die for years without updates. That's the problem with monopolies, no focus

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #461 of 871
Of course it’s real. But that doesn’t mean it’s not just mostly marketing for Apple Music. They basically flipped a switch on a server. If they were fully into lossless, the whole business would realign under a new standard but right now it looks like the whole of Apple’s hardware and software divisions is fine with 256kbps AAC. Apple Music gets to check a box in order to sell a few more subs but no Apple hardware besides that which can already handle lossless audio for video can now handle lossless music. They can’t even find a way to let 3rd party audio equipment access Apple Music lossless directly like literally every other streaming service. Airplay is fine for your car but it sounds like crap if you’re actually into quality audio.

I gotta say, It’s a little weird that you guys are so confident that Apple is going to do things it usually doesn’t do, like make it easier to break out of Apple’s locked-in ecosystem. Apple is interested in selling more hardware, not letting other hardware makers access to Apple’s toys. At best, lossless will be something that an AirPods revision will be able to access. But I doubt we’ll ever see BluOS allowed to be an Apple Music endpoint for example.
Apple does love selling licenses for lightning accessoires though. They might just do that with streaming certifications, which would be very typical of them

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #462 of 871
D75FC1E5-E6C3-4649-99D2-4E02286666D4.jpeg

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #463 of 871
Whats wrong with Airplay? We're using it to stream lossless now, whats not to like?

And I think all the issues are an indightment of Music and Airplay as a whole, like others said, Apple moves at its own pace without rhyme or reason sometimes. They introduce standards and then kill them off, they go heavy on something and then leave the app to die for years without updates. That's the problem with monopolies, no focus

Apple Music thru Airplay 2 is actually only 256 aac. Only delivers lossless if using device that doesn’t have Airplay 2. This is just with Apple Music. If you stream Qobuz or Amazon Music over Airplay 2, you’ll get 16/44 lossless. As far as I know this hasn’t been fixed yet in IOS 15 betas.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #465 of 871
Very interesting. It only shows up as 24/96 on my iPhone 11. What device are you using?
Astell & Kern SR25 playing the 3.6 Beta Android app. Of the hires files that I have found so far, I would say at least 90% are 24/96, few 24/192 and this strange case 32/192.
In my IPhone it plays (or says) 24/192! Just checked, this is crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back