Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jul 20, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #467 of 871
So - I'm new to this whole game - so new I've only recently just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD560s - they sound awesome with a Gen 1 Rega Planar 2 (from the late 70s) and TEAC AH500i integrated AMP - like as good as I've heard... however, when I hook them up to a MacBook Pro it's like, I dunno - they died??
Anyway, I have an Apple Music subscription and have turned on the Lossless option and don't really notice any differecnce, so... would you recommend I get an Amp first, a DAC first or an DAC/Amp combo ?? Had thought of something like the ifi Zen Dac but not sure - if it helps, I'm based in the UK.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #468 of 871
So - I'm new to this whole game - so new I've only recently just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD560s - they sound awesome with a Gen 1 Rega Planar 2 (from the late 70s) and TEAC AH500i integrated AMP - like as good as I've heard... however, when I hook them up to a MacBook Pro it's like, I dunno - they died??
Anyway, I have an Apple Music subscription and have turned on the Lossless option and don't really notice any differecnce, so... would you recommend I get an Amp first, a DAC first or an DAC/Amp combo ?? Had thought of something like the ifi Zen Dac but not sure - if it helps, I'm based in the UK.
I have a laptop and desktop pc, so maybe my answer is not appropriate for Mac , I do not know. I started not long ago with the Sennheiser HD599, a close relative of your headphones. First I bought a Dragonfly Black dac and the improvement was huge (dac and amp) both with my laptop and IPhone. Then decided I wanted something easier to move around and bought the Sony nwa55l which can work as both dac and dap but no streaming. Then I bought the AK SR25, dap, dac and streamer. During this new headphones, iems, …welcome to headfi, sorry for your wallet!
It all depends on your use: do you want a desktop stationary solution or something mobile? Anyway something like the modest Dragonfly Black is already a huge sound improvement over the pc headphones jack. I guess it must be the same with Mac. I was just using the Dragonfly recently to try Apple Music lossles with my IPad and it is night and day with the headphones jack. I think it is rather difficult to distinguish between hires and lossless but lossless and standard Apple Music, there is a clear difference imo.
Hope it helps!

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #470 of 871
I have a laptop and desktop pc, so maybe my answer is not appropriate for Mac , I do not know. I started not long ago with the Sennheiser HD599, a close relative of your headphones. First I bought a Dragonfly Black dac and the improvement was huge (dac and amp) both with my laptop and IPhone. Then decided I wanted something easier to move around and bought the Sony nwa55l which can work as both dac and dap but no streaming. Then I bought the AK SR25, dap, dac and streamer. During this new headphones, iems, …welcome to headfi, sorry for your wallet!
It all depends on your use: do you want a desktop stationary solution or something mobile? Anyway something like the modest Dragonfly Black is already a huge sound improvement over the pc headphones jack. I guess it must be the same with Mac. I was just using the Dragonfly recently to try Apple Music lossles with my IPad and it is night and day with the headphones jack. I think it is rather difficult to distinguish between hires and lossless but lossless and standard Apple Music, there is a clear difference imo.
Hope it helps!
Yep, I’m beginning to realise I could be going down a very deep rabbit hole (how do I hide it from the Mrs?) I’m not sure I fully realised that the Dragonfly was a DAC/Amp combo so I might start down that route and see how it goes from there.
Thanks for the pointer, appreciated!

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #475 of 871
Screenshot_20210723_101225.jpg

Yup! It's officially out on the google playstore. I only had to manually find the apple music in my app management page to manually update it. If yours is still not updated automatically, do check in your app settings in the google playstore.

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #480 of 871
Anyone know of any decent streamers that support Apple Music lossless? I assume it needs to run Android or iOS? I really don't like the idea of using an iPad or Mac for streaming, would prefer either a dedicated powered streamer or some kind of android device that can be wirelessly charged while depleting the battery streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back