Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jul 28, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #496 of 871
Probably not the only one but I'm a little confused. With an ipad or an iphone and the appropriate lightning to USB Camera adapter, will I get a bit-perfect feed with from music to an external dac? Is there a consensus?
The new iPad Pros use USB-C not lightning. That being said you can use third party adapters.

I bit the bullet and bought an iPad Pro and the adapter from Amazon was $19.99.

0953D26A-D755-41CC-9470-229CC5491372.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #497 of 871
other users here that use cca adapter and apple music?
what gear? old or new adapter?
I have the same issues with my schiit gear:

When DragonFly (Black, Red, Cobalt) is connected to an iOS device using Apple’s older Lightning to USB Camera Connection Kit, I can hear clicks and pops in the background of the music. What should I do? In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black, Red, or Cobalt causes a clicking in the background of the music.

Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why this is, but, in circumstances where this occurs, we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning-to-USB 3 Camera Adapter resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and provides the ability to charge the attached iOS device while listening to music.

but john darko use the old cca and smile:

https://darko.audio/2021/06/apple-music-hi-res-audio-again/

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #498 of 871
other users here that use cca adapter and apple music?
what gear? old or new adapter?
I have the same issues with my schiit gear:

When DragonFly (Black, Red, Cobalt) is connected to an iOS device using Apple’s older Lightning to USB Camera Connection Kit, I can hear clicks and pops in the background of the music. What should I do? In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black, Red, or Cobalt causes a clicking in the background of the music.

Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why this is, but, in circumstances where this occurs, we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning-to-USB 3 Camera Adapter resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and provides the ability to charge the attached iOS device while listening to music.

but john darko use the old cca and smile:

https://darko.audio/2021/06/apple-music-hi-res-audio-again/
I use a third party adapter, like $19 on Amazon and it works perfectly. I'd recommend that as well.

The official apple adapters are hit or miss, and frankly the build quality and cords aren't the best quality despite Apple charging high prices for the adapter.

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #499 of 871
No issues with the USB 2.0 Apple CCK and iFi iDSD Diablo. Have also used multiple USB C to lightning OTG cables with L&P W2 or Lotoo PAW S1 without issue. Have used all of those with an iPhone SE2, iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 Pro Max with Apple Music. I also worried about the cable like @Archerious pointed out, but nothing a couple of springs from a pen couldn't fix.

D1FB6511-1CE7-4339-87B5-B799CB68848E.jpeg

It’s 5 years old now and no signs of strain.

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #500 of 871
mmm... could be my DAC. maybe I should sell my schiit Hel 2 and buy a IFI instead

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #502 of 871
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #503 of 871
It's pretty cool that USB-C dongle DACs work with Apple devices that have them. iPhone will never switch to USB-C until it completely overtakes Android, Airplay drains your battery, and the CCK option or whatever is a travesty of UX. Other 3rd party audiophile options offer questionable compatibility because licensing costs extra. So infuriating.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #504 of 871
IMHO that's kinda funny, the official Apple Music app wouldn't even work on FiiO M11 at all since there's no way to login successfully

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=46731
https://www.reddit.com/r/FiiO/comments/oh8rgw/hi_guys_any_news_about_when_apple_music_its_gonna/

Maybe it's the same deal with NePLAYER even though Apple Music could be accessed in different way?
That’s why the M11 has be rendered useless by a £9 dongle dac, and I can’t say I’ve noticed worse sound quality.

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #506 of 871
Strongly considering dropping my Tidal subscription and sticking with Apple Music, but I’ve spent the past 30 minutes trying to find a way to EQ lossless music streaming from the Apple Music app on my MacBook while connected via USB-C to my DAC and came up empty. Did I do a poor job of searching, or is there truly no software that can do this?

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #507 of 871
Strongly considering dropping my Tidal subscription and sticking with Apple Music, but I’ve spent the past 30 minutes trying to find a way to EQ lossless music streaming from the Apple Music app on my MacBook while connected via USB-C to my DAC and came up empty. Did I do a poor job of searching, or is there truly no software that can do this?

The built-in equalizer (Window->Equalizer) isn't working?

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #508 of 871
The built-in equalizer (Window->Equalizer) isn't working?
I was lead to believe that it wouldn't work when using a DAC connected via USB. Is that not true?

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #509 of 871
I was lead to believe that it wouldn't work when using a DAC connected via USB. Is that not true?

Hmm. It's doing something but it does seem glitchy, especially the preamp adjustment (distortion). Maybe not a good idea to use. Sorry, I didn't know better.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #510 of 871
Hmm. It's doing something but it does seem glitchy, especially the preamp adjustment (distortion). Maybe not a good idea to use. Sorry, I didn't know better.
I just got back home and tried it. Like you said, the preamp doesn't seem to do anything beneficial, but the EQ itself does seem to work well enough. It's not nearly as useful as a parametric EQ, but it's better than nothing. Just needed a small boost to my Elegia's mid bass and lower sub bass and the results were satisfactory. Thanks for your help!

Edit: I'd still like to find a better solution, so if anyone knows any, please do share!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back