Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #211 of 871
Thank you for the answers, figured it out on my ipad.

Yeah, Dolby seems hit or miss right now. Really sweet on some newer songs, but not convincing on some other stuff.
Im liking the lossless option a lot though, Spotify got some catching up to do.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #213 of 871
With iOS 15 Developer BETA1 I also have the option to simulate Dolby Atmos / Spatial Audio on things that are not Dolby Atmos. Even this works surprisingly well for music but makes all other kind of content horrendous. Podcasts and pretty much any kind of spoken word will have way too much reverb. Good thing its rather easy and quick to toggle it in the control center but even with it being this easy I will most likely just forget about it and have it disabled.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #214 of 871
It would be very disappointing if Apple chose not to implement bit-perfect playback like Amazon Music. But I think it should be very easy for them to do that because Core audio was developed by Apple after all...
Other hi-res players (e.g. Audirvana) have the ability to automatically set the audio format for each album in Audio MIDI, before sending the signal to an external DAC, so I am certainly expecting an update of Music for Macs that will do the same. It's painful otherwise having to manually adjust the format for each album in Audio Mini before playing it on Music.

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #215 of 871
Further to my previous post above, I spoke directly with Apple Support and asked them which setting in Apple Music (for Mac) would automatically adjust the audio format in Audio MIDI? They did not know and have bumped the query up the line. I will follow up with them tomorrow to hear their response.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #216 of 871
think I will try apple music with 24/192Khz.
will all ios device with right iOS and camera adapter decode 24/192Khz? without issues/dropouts etc...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #217 of 871
think I will try apple music with 24/192Khz.
will all ios device with right iOS and camera adapter decode 24/192Khz?
You need an Iphone or IPad that is capable of updating to IOS 14.6. My IPhone XR does. I have an old iPhone 5 that does not. Same here with recent IPad, does, and older, does not. Then you need the camera adapter and a dac that can handle 24/192. My Dragonfly Black goes up to 24/96.
From what I have seen so far, most hires files are 96, very few 192.
Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #218 of 871
Alternatively, you can go to Amazon, AliExpress or Taobao, where you will find plenty of USB C or lightning cables with different connectors from USB B, USB C, RCA coaxial, AES, depending on what your DAC requires.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #219 of 871
already have an iphone,camera adapter and dac.
using qobus today. but it pops when playing hires with pc or iphone and Chromecast.
not tried qobus with cable and camera adapter yet

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #220 of 871
I strongly recommend as many people as possible give feedback to Apple and ask them for automated music sample- and bit-rate matching with the Core Audio output, as well as "exclusive output mode" so that the output to devices from Apple Music is bit-perfect.

If many people request it, then it is more likely to happen. You can give feedback here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #221 of 871
I strongly recommend as many people as possible give feedback to Apple and ask them for automated music sample- and bit-rate matching with the Core Audio output, as well as "exclusive output mode" so that the output to devices from Apple Music is bit-perfect.

If many people request it, then it is more likely to happen. You can give feedback here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html
Done, I just copied the main part of your post into my request for convenience:)

„Please add automated music sample- and bit-rate matching with the Core Audio output, as well as "exclusive output mode" so that the output to devices from Apple Music is bit-perfect.“

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #222 of 871

Is this just for Desktop? Is the iPhone bit perfect? Wonder if they'd do it on Android phones. I'm assuming on DAPs like the M11 it would bypass SRC anyway.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #223 of 871

I think a lot of people did that for Amazon music but to no avail. Hopefully Apple is different (cue think different ad :) ).

Further to my previous post above, I spoke directly with Apple Support and asked them which setting in Apple Music (for Mac) would automatically adjust the audio format in Audio MIDI? They did not know and have bumped the query up the line. I will follow up with them tomorrow to hear their response.
I doubt a regular tech support person would even know what you were talking about :)
Let's hope Apple get this 'easy' task done!

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #224 of 871

I just submitted the feedback to Apple about this. I've been keeping an eye on Apple's and Spotify's lossless options, but I will be sticking with Tidal until either of them are able to correctly implement automatic sample and bit rate matching with an exclusive mode, as Tidal's application does this seamlessly on the Mac.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #225 of 871
I have my Apple TV4K connected to my tv with Hdmi and the Tv connected to my Yamaha preamp by optical toslink. Then the preamp to my old Denon amp and B&W speakers. I have been trying the combination with a few lossless tracks from Apple music (the Apple Tv does not do hires) and I was very positively impressed. Looking forward to have the whole catalog in lossless!
Also looking forward to the Android version of Apple Music for my A&K SR25 dap and to the PC version of Apple Music, I guess an updated Itunes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back