Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #181 of 871
I was just trying some tracks out this morning. The sample rate for Dolby Atmos tracks I have tried (so far) have been 44.1 kHz on my external DAC no matter what the high resolution settings are. If I turn off Dolby Atmos, I can then get high resolution up to 192 kHz. Perhaps these are mutually exclusive. This is on my iPhone.

On another subject, on my MacBook Pro, Apple Music does not use Coreaudio exclusive mode and does not adjust sample rate to the music track that is being played. You have to go into Audio MIDI Setup and manually adjust sample rate even when you are using an external USB DAC. I guess I'll leave it at 192 kHz for now but this is a pretty big miss...
It would be very disappointing if Apple chose not to implement bit-perfect playback like Amazon Music. But I think it should be very easy for them to do that because Core audio was developed by Apple after all...

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #182 of 871
Yeah, pretty sure about that. I was playing one of Jonh William's live concerts available in 24/192Khz and for some reason the output i get is just 96Khz. Weird because i tried the Shanling UA2 yesterday in my PC with Foobar and Wasapi playing the Soundtrack of The Phantom Menace also in 24/192Khz and was doing just fine, even the LED changed to yellow (which indicates it's playing in that resolution) . Which i guess is a problem of either my Ipad or Apple Music. Idk :frowning2: I would really want to be able to play 192Khz songs on the go without having to use my PC

Sorry I wasn't any help. If you have specific albums or tracks you would like me to test, let me know. I couldn't find a John Williams' album in 192 kHz.

Here is an track I know is 192 kHz if you want to test:

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #183 of 871
Sorry I wasn't any help. If you have specific albums or tracks you would like me to test, let me know. I couldn't find a John Williams' album in 192 kHz.

Here is an track I know is 192 kHz if you want to test:

OMG lol it worked. Why? xD I don't get it. For real it showed in some albums that it could get to 192KHz. For example look up for Joe Hisaishi's "Symphonic Suite "Kiki's Delivery Service" And they show you that the songs are in Hi-Res Lossless up to 192Khz, but somehow my UA2 won't run it. Thanks anyway because i was worried my usb Dac wasn't working properly <3 Still i want to learn more about this whole thing happening with Lossless in Apple Music. Thanks for all

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #184 of 871
OMG lol it worked. Why? xD I don't get it. For real it showed in some albums that it could get to 192KHz. For example look up for Joe Hisaishi's "Symphonic Suite "Kiki's Delivery Service" And they show you that the songs are in Hi-Res Lossless up to 192Khz, but somehow my UA2 won't run it. Thanks anyway because i was worried my usb Dac wasn't working properly <3 Still i want to learn more about this whole thing happening with Lossless in Apple Music. Thanks for all

For me, Joe Hisaishi's "Symphonic Suite "Kiki's Delivery Service" shows up as 24/96. I'm using my MacBook. I haven't found very many 192 kHz tracks so they seem to be rare. Also, it's certainly possible Apple may be having some technical issues with the rollout. For example, I can't get Atmos to work with an external DAC on my MacBook (even though it works on my iPhone)...

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #185 of 871
For me, Joe Hisaishi's "Symphonic Suite "Kiki's Delivery Service" shows up as 24/96. I'm using my MacBook. I haven't found very many 192 kHz tracks so they seem to be rare. Also, it's certainly possible Apple may be having some technical issues with the rollout. For example, I can't get Atmos to work with an external DAC on my MacBook (even though it works on my iPhone)...
Hmmm, that’s very weird. I hope they fix that over the week in IPadOS and IOS. How did you found those tracks? Manually or Apple created some kind of “High Ress Lossless music” category?

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #187 of 871
The soundstage on Atmos tracks using my PowerBeats Pro sounds quite good. I think this is going to be a popular feature. It's an easy-to-notice difference compared to lossless vs. AAC/mp3, and you don't need new gear to take advantage of it.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #188 of 871
Some producers have done crap all with their Dolby Atmos releases. Listening to Linken Park and their Dolby Atmos tracks is just sad. In the End from Linken Park is simply worse in Dolby Atmos compared to regular stereo. Sounds like they simply tossed their original stereo track into a Dolby Atmos mixer and settled with whatever they got without even listening to it themselves. They for sure haven't done any mixing on their own, or at least I hope not considering how bad the result ended up being.

Other tracks work very well and provide a much more noticeable difference compared to AAC vs Lossless and Hi-Res. But still, I can't say Dolby Atmos is a smash hit for me as of yet. It's very hit and miss whether the Dolby Atmos sounds better if you ask me. Luckily it's very easy to disable Dolby Atmos through "Control Center" on iOS/iPadOS but it's still annoying having to do it all the time.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #189 of 871
I thought Dolby Atmos works only with Apples wireless headphones like AirPods and Beats with H1 and W1 chips. That’s also the case for me. As soon as I put down my AirPods and connect my dac/amps the „Dolby Atmos“ Flag gets replaced by „Lossless“ or „HighRes Lossless“.

The soundstage on Atmos tracks using my PowerBeats Pro sounds quite good. I think this is going to be a popular feature. It's an easy-to-notice difference compared to lossless vs. AAC/mp3, and you don't need new gear to take advantage of it.

Yes it is, but unfortunately it only works with Apples wireless devices which are lacking great audio quality for us audiophiles.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #190 of 871
Hmmm, that’s very weird. I hope they fix that over the week in IPadOS and IOS. How did you found those tracks? Manually or Apple created some kind of “High Ress Lossless music” category?

I manually found a few just by clicking through some of the new "Spatial Audio" playlists. I haven't figured out any other way. I do wish apple would create a category for the various high resolution formats.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #191 of 871
Some producers have done crap all with their Dolby Atmos releases. Listening to Linken Park and their Dolby Atmos tracks is just sad. In the End from Linken Park is simply worse in Dolby Atmos compared to regular stereo. Sounds like they simply tossed their original stereo track into a Dolby Atmos mixer and settled with whatever they got without even listening to it themselves. They for sure haven't done any mixing on their own, or at least I hope not considering how bad the result ended up being.

Other tracks work very well and provide a much more noticeable difference compared to AAC vs Lossless and Hi-Res. But still, I can't say Dolby Atmos is a smash hit for me as of yet. It's very hit and miss whether the Dolby Atmos sounds better if you ask me. Luckily it's very easy to disable Dolby Atmos through "Control Center" on iOS/iPadOS but it's still annoying having to do it all the time.

Please try Blink 182 - What’s my age again. I mentioned it before. Compare Dolby Atmos and Stereo. The Dolby version sounds really hilarious, it’s that bad. Why don’t they just listen to these tracks at least 1 time before releasing it??

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #192 of 871
I thought Dolby Atmos works only with Apples wireless headphones like AirPods and Beats with H1 and W1 chips. That’s also the case for me. As soon as I put down my AirPods and connect my dac/amps the „Dolby Atmos“ Flag gets replaced by „Lossless“ or „HighRes Lossless“.
Same here. I thought you could use Dolby Atmos on wired headphones by selecting "always on" for the Atmos setting. It seems to work that way on my iPhone with an USB DAC. Maybe just some teething pains on the MacBook.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #193 of 871
Same here. I thought you could use Dolby Atmos on wired headphones by selecting "always on" for the Atmos setting. It seems to work that way on my iPhone with an USB DAC. Maybe just some teething pains on the MacBook.
Good point, I left this on „automatic“. I cannot test this right now but will do later. Is the music „spatial“ with your USB DAC and wired headphones?

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #194 of 871
It seems like the lossless badge trumps the Atmos badge if both are valid. When you listen to the Gaye comparison track on a DAC/Amp it says lossless but you can still hear the differences.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #195 of 871

This is exactly right. I was using Tidal Atmos on Apple TV before this rollout, using a 9-channel Atmos setup. Some tracks like Kraftwerk or The Band sound incredible. For others, it added nothing. Seems like it's the same deal using the headphone DSP tricks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back