Apple EarPods Thread
Jun 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #241 of 419
Thanks.Ill stop at radio shack tomorrow.Is there only one type of foamie in the store for sale?Do they come in different sizes and what size should I ask for?(sorry to be such a pest but I really want to get the most out of these phones.)

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #242 of 419
Quote:
Thanks.Ill stop at radio shack tomorrow.Is there only one type of foamie in the store for sale?Do they come in different sizes and what size should I ask for?(sorry to be such a pest but I really want to get the most out of these phones.)

I just asked for foam pads that would fit over Apple Earpods.   After you get them, let me know how they work for ya, k?

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #243 of 419
I have a houseful of old headphones and last night I found an old pair with foamies that fit the pod.I realize these are not the Radio shack brand you use but on the pod they looked a lot like the picture you posted.They keep the earpds located in the sweet spot once you find it for the phones.They stay in one spot which is a plus.Too early to tell on sound quality since I only listened to a few songs for i am still burning in the pods.Perhaps I have small ears since after a few minutes of use my ears seemed congested with the foamie in the canal.It felt a lot like the feeling you get from a regular IEM which I dont like.Im going to give it more of a chance today when burn in time is over before i go out and buy the radio shack brand.I actually felt without the foamies the pods were more comfortable and that might have a lot to do with my ear shape.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #244 of 419
Im not too proud to say I was dead wrong.Today i had the daunting task of cleaning my house and a perfect time to use my new nano and earpods.After about 15 minutes the feeling of the phones was a bit annoying so I tried putting the foamies i have on the Pods.As I write this they are still on and pods are in my ears and its all very comfortable.Now for the best part.I cant figure out why but the bass is now very solid and detailed as is the treble with no harshness.Take off the foamies and away goes that nice full,chunky bass and clean treble.I also find in low volume the sound retains its fullness and detail.This is a great benefit for your ears.
As i said before the foamies im using are thin,old and were on the cheap, stock phones that came with an old creative player from over 10 years ago.they are doing a fine job but are so thin that I fear they will not last.I will buy the radio shack foamies tomorrow.Kudos to Iwien for figuring this all out.These are damn fine earphones.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #245 of 419
Quote:
Kudos to Iwien for figuring this all out.These are damn fine earphones.

Thanks.   Glad it worked out for ya. 

But yeah, the foamies make ALL the difference in the world on these.   Doesn't make them perfect by any means, but it sure as hell turns them into a really decent pair of earphones for the money.

So for anyone that is thinking about trashing these or getting others because you feel that the earpods are not up to the task, you at least owe it to yourself to try on the foamies before making your final decision.   If you find yourself in a situation where isolation is not a good thing, like when you're out and about on the streets, but yet you still would like some good sounds,  this makes a very viable option.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #248 of 419
Ya, for a 29 dollar earbud, or free with ipod touch, nano or iphone, they sure are a pretty solid value.  They will be those who won't try them just on principle.  It's like Bose.  Very volatile companies.  Some will hate and some will love no matter what kind of product is put out.  Personally I am a Sony Walkman fanboy, but I listen to my earpods every day and think they are a great value at 29.00 if you buy them  without purchasing the apple products. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #249 of 419
When i first bought my nano I knew the reputation of Apple stock headphones so I used them for all of 10 seconds,heard the harsh treble and put them back in the box in case i had to return the nano.Not till I read this thread did I give them a proper burn in(50 hours) and experimented with foamies.Now Im hooked on the sound and these will be my only headphones with my nano.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #254 of 419
I just got an iPhone 5 last month, and for the life of me, I can't get these earpod things to comfortably sit in my ears. I find that strange, because I have a pretty average ear size. I usually fit and use medium tips that come with IEM's. Shrugs. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #255 of 419
Quote:
I just got an iPhone 5 last month, and for the life of me, I can't get these earpod things to comfortably sit in my ears. I find that strange, because I have a pretty average ear size. I usually fit and use medium tips that come with IEM's. Shrugs. 

Get some foam covers.  It makes all the difference in the world - both fit and sonically for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back