Apple EarPods Thread
Nov 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #61 of 419
Ken Rockwell at his website, http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm, reviewed the Dirac Player app for iPhone, iPad, etc. for use with the earpod today. I don't have an iPhone to try, but the review is very positive. Ken isn't prone to make wild product claims, so am curious if this app is as good as claimed? Anyone here tried it yet? Vic

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #62 of 419
Ken Rockwell at his website, http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm, reviewed the Dirac Player app for iPhone, iPad, etc. for use with the earpod today. I don't have an iPhone to try, but the review is very positive. Ken isn't prone to make wild product claims, so am curious if this app is as good as claimed? Anyone here tried it yet? Vic

Just tried it .. I only A/b'd one song... Because the song sounded so much better on the stock Music app on my iPhone 5. It was still worth the download, because now I think my iPhone five is amazing!! Listening to Grace like a River by Delirious and I can hear every little detail crystal clear on my EarPods (with foam covers).. The other app was seriously terrible, it actually took away all the bass as well as the clarity and separation that make the EarPods great.

It could be that the iPhone five has a superior DAC/amp system than whatever device the reviewer was using, but I seriously doubt that app is any good on any device (still love the EarPods though!). The Delirious album I'm listening to is seriously sounding different and new on every song, very cool.

Edit: the EarPods are sounding especially fantastic tonight, especially guitars and vocals sound amazing. I never did a dedicated burn in, I think these EarPods are really burning in well- the midrange seems to be developing more- but the instrument separation and clarity is improving as well. To get the full experience -> burn in + earbud covers + well recorded music + quiet environment for listening.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #64 of 419
One more Earpod fan here! I used to use 10 dollar earbuds in bed and the sound quality is quite unbearable at times. I find the Earpod quite good for both watching movie in bed and just putting some quiet music through while sleeping since its also quite nicely built.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #65 of 419
Quote:
You guys with your magical earpods
mad.gif

They really are becoming quite magical.  With the foamies + burn-in the mids are really starting to shine and the instrument separation and clarity are still improving.  Wow, guitars just sound downright fantastic now.  It's as if the mid-bass hump has decided to share some strength with the mids.

Sidenote:  these improvements are more noticeable when I plug into my Dell laptop, so I'm guessing that an amp would help to boost the EarPods.  I might even go and buy a small amp.  An added benefit with the laptop power=there is a slight treble boost pushing the highs through the foamies again.

Edit:  is there a difference between the E5 and E6 regarding treble?  I would like to try a small amp, and since the foam covers I like create a warm/dark sound, I might as well pick an amp based on treble response right?

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #67 of 419
Quote:
LOL when I get my ibasso dx100, maybe I will try the earpod out.

LOL, that does sound like overkill
etysmile.gif
; but be fair to yourself: when you do the experiment, try the foam covers and use a good amount of burn-in.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #69 of 419
Quote:
LOL aight, I will see if it can beat out my z1000
biggrin.gif
God, if it does, I will be speechless...

Hey, I only said they're better than Meelec M6p and Motorola hd-9; but that would be pretty cool... Btw, post #100 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #70 of 419
Hey

I have my Earpods, but I find it a bit uncomfirtable to use as they fall out, since there isnt any tips involved, can you perhaps tell me what is the best solution for these not falling out, in the meantime what can you compare the Earpods being almost similar with? Definietly not SE215 Level I suppose?

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #71 of 419
Quote:
Hey

I have my Earpods, but I find it a bit uncomfirtable to use as they fall out, since there isnt any tips involved, can you perhaps tell me what is the best solution for these not falling out, in the meantime what can you compare the Earpods being almost similar with? Definietly not SE215 Level I suppose?

I have found that adding foam earbud covers helps with fit, comfort, and bass response.  Remember, if you don't want to impact the treble you can cut a small hole in front of the main ear canal opening.  This is what I'm talking about:

Okay:
http://www.amazon.com/Earbud-Earpad-Replacement-Sponge-Headsets/dp/B0025KXUS2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352963761&sr=1-1&keywords=foam+earbud+covers

These are way more expensive, but I bought them in person:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036280&retainProdsInSession=1

And previous comparison from Dragoonf144:

"I prefer these over my Shure Se530s.

My favourite IEMS (the ER4Ps) are getting a run for their money. I find the detail comes very close to the Etymotics."

"I just did a 10 min comparison trying to pick up the differences, and basically the earpods have a bit more mid bass. As far as I can tell, sub-bass seems to be better on the Etymotics, but it's hardly noticeable (or maybe my mind is playing games on me!) when you're into the music.

Also, from those ten minutes, I found it really hard to find any differences between the etys and Earpods apart from mid-bass. When I added my P-S cable, I could tell some differences. I believe apple has made a winner here. The mid-bass slightly clouds the vocals (but from my experience, any headphones that have more bass than the etys has this effect like my previous IE8s and triplefis)"

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #72 of 419
Quote:
Hey, I only said they're better than Meelec M6p and Motorola hd-9; but that would be pretty cool... Btw, post #100 
biggrin.gif

haha well the z1000 is full sized though so maybe i will compare it with my ultimate ears trifi 10 (only higher end iem that i currently have). my friends keeping my etymotic research hf5, i think i know the sound of the hf5 pretty well though since it was my everyday iem despite i havent used it for a long time

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #73 of 419
Quote:
I have found that adding foam earbud covers helps with fit, comfort, and bass response.  Remember, if you don't want to impact the treble you can cut a small hole in front of the main ear canal opening.  This is what I'm talking about:

Okay:
http://www.amazon.com/Earbud-Earpad-Replacement-Sponge-Headsets/dp/B0025KXUS2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352963761&sr=1-1&keywords=foam+earbud+covers

These are way more expensive, but I bought them in person:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036280&retainProdsInSession=1

And previous comparison from Dragoonf144:

"I prefer these over my Shure Se530s.

My favourite IEMS (the ER4Ps) are getting a run for their money. I find the detail comes very close to the Etymotics."

"I just did a 10 min comparison trying to pick up the differences, and basically the earpods have a bit more mid bass. As far as I can tell, sub-bass seems to be better on the Etymotics, but it's hardly noticeable (or maybe my mind is playing games on me!) when you're into the music.

Also, from those ten minutes, I found it really hard to find any differences between the etys and Earpods apart from mid-bass. When I added my P-S cable, I could tell some differences. I believe apple has made a winner here. The mid-bass slightly clouds the vocals (but from my experience, any headphones that have more bass than the etys has this effect like my previous IE8s and triplefis)"

hello

Thank you for the very detailed review, I Might actually look into getting some tips, the only grip is that only the left bud falls out, wondering wether they are a design flaw, anyhow are you sure these are comparable with Etymotic ER4, and SE530, I think they are rather bassy, and lacks a bit detail when compared directly with them?

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #74 of 419
Quote:
hello

Thank you for the very detailed review, I Might actually look into getting some tips, the only grip is that only the left bud falls out, wondering wether they are a design flaw, anyhow are you sure these are comparable with Etymotic ER4, and SE530, I think they are rather bassy, and lacks a bit detail when compared directly with them?

I tried the earbud solution and it does not work, just gets ripped when u try to pull it towards the inner ventilation. I guess it will keep on trying to drop out lol

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #75 of 419
I tried the earbud solution and it does not work, just gets ripped when u try to pull it towards the inner ventilation. I guess it will keep on trying to drop out lol

Well, I pull the covers over the main opening first, then I hold down one side with one finger and slide the cover with my other finger. This way you cover the rough edges first then slide and drag the cover over the rest of the EarPod. The detail and clarity will improve with burn-in; however, I personally have never heard Etymotic's phones in any model, so I can't coment on that comparison.

I do know that the detail and clarity of the EarPods is better than a Motorola Bluetooth, and a Meelec M6p. The best sound will occur with burn-in and the use of the foamie mod with the front of the cover cut out for the high frequencies. I don't care that much about balanced sound so right now I just use them with the full cover over the 'Pods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back