Apple EarPods Thread
Oct 2, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 419
Try a more shallow insertion if you want less midbass. 

That's funny. I guess I must really like mid bass then, because I love the EarPods sound signature and I'm always trying to make sure I insert them far enough!

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 419
Yeah, I totally just switched from listening to the meelec m6 to the EarPods , and the EarPods sound so much better! From reading reviews on head-fi I thought having more bass or mid bass would "muddy" the sound. However, the extra bass on the EarPods is very much appreciated to my ears and the rest of the sound actually seems More clear, as if clarity is improved by the bass, or the vented design.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 419
I've had about five pairs of the previous Apple earbuds, each lasting three (four if I'm lucky) months. The bass was usually the first warning of failing 'buds so I kept the iPod/iPhone EQ to Treble booster for less bass

I just really, really, really hope these earpods can last over three months - I have better IEMs but these earpods seem nice as like a backup or when I want to hear my surroundings.
The earpods don't go in your ear canal, right? 

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #19 of 419
I've had about five pairs of the previous Apple earbuds, each lasting three (four if I'm lucky) months. The bass was usually the first warning of failing 'buds so I kept the iPod/iPhone EQ to Treble booster for less bass

I just really, really, really hope these earpods can last over three months - I have better IEMs but these earpods seem nice as like a backup or when I want to hear my surroundings.
The earpods don't go in your ear canal, right? 

Right, well they go further into the ear canal then a regular earbud, but I wouldn't call them canalphones. For me the low isolation is a bonus, and more comfortable than wearing a sealed iem.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 419
Quote:
Prolly the best $30 you can spend on an earbud. Best thing is they come free with every new iDevice. :)

I agree, these are the best headphones I've ever heard (limited experience not withstanding) and I basically got them for free with my phone upgrade from Verizon.

And I am LOVING the sound.  I have a station on Pandora called "Joe Satriani Radio" and the guitars just soar across my mind and ...... man it just sounds so good -> there is a wonderful weight and sound associated with the guitars (lead, rhythm, and bass).  I have also noticed the sound is greatly improved because I can hear the drums, accompaniment and other sounds much more clearly.  The euphoric guitar solos sound great, but the background is integrated just as well as if I was at a concert; probably better.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #23 of 419
I love these. In the $30 range, you'd be hard pressed to find something better. 

The clarity is amazing for something this cheap! :) 

A little less mid-bass and more deep (true) bass would be nice. That's my only complaint here, and one that I hope to address when I buy some proper IEM's from Heir Audio.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 419
Quote:
I agree, these are the best headphones I've ever heard (limited experience not withstanding) and I basically got them for free with my phone upgrade from Verizon.

And I am LOVING the sound.  I have a station on Pandora called "Joe Satriani Radio" and the guitars just soar across my mind and ...... man it just sounds so good -> there is a wonderful weight and sound associated with the guitars (lead, rhythm, and bass).  I have also noticed the sound is greatly improved because I can hear the drums, accompaniment and other sounds much more clearly.  The euphoric guitar solos sound great, but the background is integrated just as well as if I was at a concert; probably better.

Yes. I love how the mid-bass brings out the weight of the guitar. However, I wish the bass would go a bit deeper. - these would really benefit from truly *deep* bass, because with several of the electronic tracks I have right now, the midbass just punches back which is great for adding weight, but true deep bass is missing, so there's really nothing to add weight to! 

For example, listen to Derezzed on the Tron Soundtrack. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #25 of 419
Quote:
IMHO the earpods sounds signature is more appealing to me than high fidelity TF10's. The TF10's are no doubt a superior headphone, but as of right now, not the ones I prefer to listen to.
i am very interested to see how the earpods sound with different gear as they are sensitive to dac/amp set-ups.

The earpods are pretty warm and a little dark. The TF10 has more treble energy which IMO makes them sound like detail monsters. I am hearing things on the earpods that I am missing on the TF10s and IE80s. Definitely an "out of head" experience. Soundstage is better than any IEM I've listened to. They fit particularly well in my ears. I bought two more pairs in case Apple screws up later iterations!

They blow away the TF10 for rock/vocals. The best analogy I can make to headphones is that they sound like the IEM/bud equivalent of an "open" D2000.

I think some audiophiles can't reconcile that something can sound this good at this price. If they were $99 they would be FOTM*10.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #26 of 419
Quote:

Yes. I love how the mid-bass brings out the weight of the guitar. However, I wish the bass would go a bit deeper. - these would really benefit from truly *deep* bass, because with several of the electronic tracks I have right now, the midbass just punches back which is great for adding weight, but true deep bass is missing, so there's really nothing to add weight to! 

For example, listen to Derezzed on the Tron Soundtrack. 

I don't think that the level of sub-bass you're looking for is possible in an earbud, but I agree it would be fantastic.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #27 of 419
The earpods are pretty warm and a little dark. The TF10 has more treble energy which IMO makes them sound like detail monsters. I am hearing things on the earpods that I am missing on the TF10s and IE80s. Definitely an "out of head" experience. Soundstage is better than any IEM I've listened to. They fit particularly well in my ears. I bought two more pairs in case Apple screws up later iterations!

They blow away the TF10 for rock/vocals. The best analogy I can make to headphones is that they sound like the IEM/bud equivalent of an "open" D2000.

I think a lot of audiophiles can't reconcile that something can sound this good at this price. If they were $99 they would be FOTM*10.

Definitely agree on the warm sound being a good thing. Guitars and vocals are just really great on the Apple EarPods. As far as bass, all I can say is that they have more bass than the M6p; and the M6 is supposed to have decent bass. I think I can say the EarPods are pretty much great for everything except sports. And I am pretty sure I could wear a beanie over my ears and take care of the sports issue.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #28 of 419
I'm on board with most.

These puppies rock. I own a set of Westone UM3X's, used to have UM2's, and have a few lower end MEElectronics... and to be honest, I prefer the these $30 headphones over all of them except the UM3X's (which are $350 headphones).

IMO, I prefer them over my old UM2's which are $200 headphones.

They're just awesome.

I've been on my headphones way too much and my wife is getting pissed... I need to put a hold on my divorce and how to be a charmer with women.

I've also been trying to get my ex back at all costs.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #29 of 419
They are not bad at all, just got a pair today. Cant wait for them to run in, anyone have some input on how they may change with use?

For a laugh I just used them with my E7 and line out, gives them a bit more slam

As a rule I dont like IEM, I tried to like them and tried a few but the earpods seem to be a nice half way house. Surprised how good they are amped.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #30 of 419
I find these to be very good value for the money and super comfortable on my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back