Apple EarPods Thread
Nov 10, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #361 of 419

I don't think they're overblown in the bass at all - in fact I think they're very well judged for listening in public places, where extra bass is required. 

Anyway, flat response in audio = coma time.  

They're not bad for $40 bucks. And I agree, Hi-Fi is not about flat response. I personally hate flat and neutral sounding gear.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #362 of 419
Does anyone know what the sensitivity of these are at 1 Vrms? I found some measurements (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AppleEarPods.pdf), but annoyingly the sensitivity is given as "Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.091 Vrms," which doesn't allow for comparison with other phones against the standard 1 Vrms figure without doing math. Does anyone know the equation for converting the above figures to 1 Vrms?

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #364 of 419
  I really like these... Very fun sound. I use iems only on the go, so I'm thinking paying hundreds for IEMs without even inline controls is a waste of money.

inline controls actually deteriorate the sound. That's why high end IEMs do not normally have inline remotes built-in.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #365 of 419

inline controls actually deteriorate the sound. That's why high end IEMs do not normally have inline remotes built-in.

Any scientific proof on that?..

Se846 with or without inline controls sounded the same to me. It's more like they don't bother because they have to pay Apple to get iDevice certificate (some like Shure do bother).

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #366 of 419
  Any scientific proof on that?..

Se846 with or without inline controls sounded the same to me. It's more like they don't bother because they have to pay Apple to get iDevice certificate (some like Shure do bother).

No scientific proof, but many audiophile forums (i.e. stereophile and what hifi) all claim that the extra added electronics deter sound quality.

Audiophiles who listen on the go normally used dedicated players... which unfortunately do not have cellular network capabilities :frowning2:

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #368 of 419
  They also claim spending hundreds of dollars on cables is a good idea. It's not mostly, not unless the stock cable is horrible (most good audio companies have quite good stock cables, I would say Earpods' cable is good quality as well, soundwise). What can I say, snake oil has always sold well.

I'm not interested in DAPs personally. iPhone 6s sounds great with portable headphones.

Cables are a subjective thing... although I can say that everyone that I've met who actually tested cables in a high end 2-channel set-up in a controlled environment has been since converted. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #370 of 419

Cables are a subjective thing... although I can say that everyone that I've met who actually tested cables in a high end 2-channel set-up in a controlled environment has been since converted. 

Based on my limited experience with high-end cables, they throw their own sauce over the sound which I consider a bad thing. Thus I prefer my cheap RCA cable over the high-end expensive cable. Luckily I have these on loan so I didn't loose money. 

But I suppose people who hear a difference think the more expensive cable must be better? Luckily my Chord Hugo can drive my HD 800 S very good so I can hear which cable is more accurate when it's connected to the Taurus MKII.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #371 of 419

Confirmation bias...

I'm not saying there aren't terrible cables. Some cables are indeed are. But stock cables are usually good if you're buying a decent headphone. For instance, Ultrasone Edition M, Oppo PM-2 and Earsonics Velvet (headphones I have) have very good stock cables. No need to pay hundreds for cables when I could buy something that actually makes a difference in sound or perhaps another headphone (I bought Fostex TH-X00 for $399, you could buy "high end" cable with that money).

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #373 of 419

It can be argued that many aspects of this hobby fall prey to this fallacy :)

Indeed... 
smile.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #375 of 419
No scientific proof, but many audiophile forums (i.e. stereophile and what hifi) all claim that the extra added electronics deter sound quality.

Audiophiles who listen on the go normally used dedicated players... which unfortunately do not have cellular network capabilities :frowning2:

Not that i support audiophile "better sound" clams from a different SDcard but the inline mic can be a problem with balanced amps or active balanced like quickstep.
Dont try it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back