Apple EarPods Thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #346 of 419
This is my first post on this forum, and indeed I came looking for info on circumaural cans (ATH-M50x in particular).  I have no experience with high end playback equipment, but I do like to make live noise (saxophones, guitars).  Pre-1970s jazz comprises 90% of my listening content.

As far as Earpods, which I've used for hundreds of hours mostly for calls/conferencing, I learned that the main grilles get clogged with earwax so severely that alcohol-soaked swabs just don't do the trick, and volume and quality diminish to the point where I was going to chuck them in the trash.  The web recommended the desperate maneuver of physically removing, cleaning, and re-inserting the (slightly mangled) metal mesh grilles.

Once I gave them a listen with the grilles removed, the grilles went into the trash and I've run them like this ever since:

http://imgur.com/jobjy2T

Took that pic tonight, at least half a year since removing the grilles.  Used daily, no clogging issues, and the sound, to my ears, is substantially improved.  I see no downsides whatsoever.  Listening to some Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan right now, and damn if they don't sound great.  If I should need to get replacement Earpods at some point, I am yanking the main grilles first thing.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #347 of 419
Reading the favorable comparisons to some higher end IEM's I was a bit confused. Are you talking about the buds that came with my 5S? I guess so. Had to try them again...

Come on, these are the same level as TFI10's? For earbuds these aren't bad, but normally they're just horrible. There's a huge dip somewhere below that hyped treble. And these are supposed to be bassy?

For 30 euros you can get Porta Pros etc. I don't see the point to buy these, unless you really want to hear all of your surroundings or look like you have an iPhone in your pocket.

BTW, these are not IEM's.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #349 of 419
BTW, the build is just as weak as your standard cheapo buds. I can't see that super-thin cable lasting very long. 30 bucks is way too much for these - the sound and build just do not cut it.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #350 of 419
BTW, the build is just as weak as your standard cheapo buds. I can't see that super-thin cable lasting very long. 30 bucks is way too much for these - the sound and build just do not cut it.

I thought both of those things, sound and build, completely justified the price. I wouldn't necessarily buy them at that price myself, but I wouldn't feel cheated if I did. They're pretty good for what they are.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #351 of 419

Your opinion - I beg to differ.

For $30 I still rate these.  My pair is still going 2 years after I got them.  Admittedly I don't use them as my daily - but even when I do get them out for phone calls, and end up listening for a few songs, I'm still surprised how good they are for bundled ear-buds.

Want to turn them into well above normal - earskinz and foam covers over the top.

World beaters no.  But compare to other $ 30 offerings, and especially considering the have a reasonably good microphone and in-line controls, good value = yes.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #352 of 419
Your opinion - I beg to differ.

For $30 I still rate these.  My pair is still going 2 years after I got them.  Admittedly I don't use them as my daily - but even when I do get them out for phone calls, and end up listening for a few songs, I'm still surprised how good they are for bundled ear-buds.

Want to turn them into well above normal - earskinz and foam covers over the top.

World beaters no.  But compare to other $ 30 offerings, and especially considering the have a reasonably good microphone and in-line controls, good value = yes.

Cool. I did foamie mod, then earskinz.. Never did both though... Maybe I'll go look for them again.. :grin::grin:

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #353 of 419
  This is my first post on this forum, and indeed I came looking for info on circumaural cans (ATH-M50x in particular).  I have no experience with high end playback equipment, but I do like to make live noise (saxophones, guitars).  Pre-1970s jazz comprises 90% of my listening content.

As far as Earpods, which I've used for hundreds of hours mostly for calls/conferencing, I learned that the main grilles get clogged with earwax so severely that alcohol-soaked swabs just don't do the trick, and volume and quality diminish to the point where I was going to chuck them in the trash.  The web recommended the desperate maneuver of physically removing, cleaning, and re-inserting the (slightly mangled) metal mesh grilles.

Once I gave them a listen with the grilles removed, the grilles went into the trash and I've run them like this ever since:

http://imgur.com/jobjy2T

Took that pic tonight, at least half a year since removing the grilles.  Used daily, no clogging issues, and the sound, to my ears, is substantially improved.  I see no downsides whatsoever.  Listening to some Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan right now, and damn if they don't sound great.  If I should need to get replacement Earpods at some point, I am yanking the main grilles first thing.

Just wanted to say a big thanks.  I've taken the plunge and removed the front grilles from my earpods too, and they sound clearer and richer now.  They were fantastic to start with but this mod seems to add extra clarity to the mix.

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #354 of 419
Are we sure it's safe for the ears to have the mesh removed? Some earphones have it to protect the ears from the drivers, and vice versa.

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #357 of 419
There could b
There could be loose, even microscopic pieces. The mesh is protective of both the earphones and the ears.

And I'd rather protect my ears than my earphones.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #359 of 419
I listened to these earbuds for the first time a couple of days ago (surprisingly). I thought my XBA-A3s were bassy....... until I heard these.

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #360 of 419
  I listened to these earbuds for the first time a couple of days ago (surprisingly). I thought my XBA-A3s were bassy....... until I heard these.

I don't think they're overblown in the bass at all - in fact I think they're very well judged for listening in public places, where extra bass is required. 

Anyway, flat response in audio = coma time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back