Apple Earpods Review
Sep 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 28
That's a fine opinion...

Different than mine.

Jim
Quote:

IMHO, Burn-in is mostly a myth.  If you actually look at the graphs in Tyll Hertsens' experiment on the AKG Q701, it's very dubious whether the changes you see are actually at all audible.  

Personally, I will attribute the huge differences people claim to hear to be expectation bias rather than actual changes.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 28
Anyway, my stand on burn-in is that it really exists. Have done an A-B test with burned vs unburned before, difference is apparent.

I agree that these are extremely picky. Plugged into a Fiio E6 and needed some BB to get along and even then they sounded muddy.

Hahah, Jim why don't you buy a pair for $29 online?

I think I'll keep mine :) . Displays well in the cabinet as the first Apple Earpods gotten with the iPhone 5 on the first day of release!

As I've said, YMMV :)

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 28
Good Choice...

Collectors items they are !!!

Congrats, Jim
Quote:
Anyway, my stand on burn-in is that it really exists. Have done an A-B test with burned vs unburned before, difference is apparent.

I agree that these are extremely picky. Plugged into a Fiio E6 and needed some BB to get along and even then they sounded muddy.

Hahah, Jim why don't you buy a pair for $29 online?

I think I'll keep mine :) . Displays well in the cabinet as the first Apple Earpods gotten with the iPhone 5 on the first day of release!

As I've said, YMMV :)

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #21 of 28
I just bought a pair at the Apple store and I think they're amazing for the price. Comfortable and a good soundstage. Fit is a bit loose, but they don't fall out. Definitely my new workout phones as I snagged my FitEar 334s on my power cage and won't be working out with $1,300 IEMs again.

If I was forced to quantify it I'd say they're 80% of the SQ of the IE80. Really astounding for the price. Have maybe an hour on them.

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 28
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was pleasantly surprised by these lol. I was planning on packaging these in with my iPhone 4 I'm selling on eBay here soon. But I decided to pop em in and have a good laugh before I dumped em off on the shmuck who buys my iPhone. But no...I'm keeping these! The only other IEM I own are the Miles Davis Tributes...and since they literally fall to pieces under heavy everyday use, I'll be taking advantage of their lifetime warranty here soon. Which would've left me IEMless for who know how long. Until now. These EarPods are certainly decent enough to hold me over until my babies return lol. Good times :)

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #23 of 28
I had my iPhone 5 for awhile now. Heard about the hype about these earpods. While they were better than the previous incarnations, they werent much better than my reshelled 5EBs. At least they're worth the $29 now.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
My full review is over 4000 words, so here it is.  I'd just like to note that I disagree with you on this - I've found them to be easy to use for prolonged periods, but:

Uh.. nice review but I have trouble believing that headphones can image out of the head. Even the HD800's and K1000 haven't been able to do this. Will hear them when I get my new iPod.

Great review here.

I am pretty amazed by how this Earpods performs.

Tapatalk.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #25 of 28
Time to add in my two cents...

Actually, I found them very sensitive to sources as well.  I don't have amps so I can't really vouch for how they will react under different amps, but you can verify the sheer difference on sources alone, say a Sony Walkman vs. Sansa Clip vs. iPads.  There are distinct difference coming from such sources, and for the most part, I think these have been colored (optimized, ahem) to match iDevices.  I got the best results out of iPad2 (64GB, AT&T GSM if anyone cares).  From other, slightly more neutral (?, at least non-Apple sources), I couldn't really use these too much because of the mid-bass hump.  Everything else was just dandy, but the mid-bass hump just killed it for me.  That was until I blocked the bass ports on the stems.  Both of them (not the ports on the driver housings).  

If anyone's really bothered by the severe (and to me, they were severe) mid-bass hump, try taping off those two ports with a bit of scotch tape.  Holy crap!  Now the bass has body and volume without the fatiguing flab.  The soundstaging on these are quite nice as well, probably on the level of MDR-E888 (remember those?).  They are about the only earbuds I can recall that has a very open soundstage.  The Earpods are easily a match for the E888s.  

The hard plastic housing bothers the ears a bit.  But then again, it's kinda like Triple.FIs in that respect.  Otherwise, they stay in the ears quite well and just disappears.  I know they are still there, but not as obtrusive as other IEMS.

Overall, for $30 and couple of pieces of scotch tape?  Not bad at all!

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #27 of 28
If these are the same EarPods as the iPhone 5S, I was impressed at what I was hearing. Apple improved greatly. However some things have became a lot worse which is comfort. These things hurt my ears very quickly.

The isolation is terrible too. This makes them safe when you are walking on the street I suppose. But it can also damage your ears quickly since you have to turn up the volume a lot when it's noisy in your surrounding. 

It's best to buy a nice pair of IEM that are at least comfortable and provides isolation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back