Apple computers: The biggest scam in consumer electronics?
Mar 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #47 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually like PCs better but Vista's suck makes me want to buy a Mac after XP is cut off.

Microsoft is not going to cut off XP any time soon. They'll keep it alive until Windows 7 comes out and they take Vista out behind the barn. Vista will be buried next to Windows ME.

Am always surprised by the amount of hatred Apple generates. They're not THAT different from other companies, and a lot of us have had wonderful experiences with its products. I keep a couple of System 6 Macs alive, a ][gs, and even a NeXT Cube. The NeXT will browse the Internets, feels reasonably fast and does most things you need from a computer. Not bad for something that's 20 years old.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #48 of 159
I've used Macs at work, and never had much trouble with them. Still, I've never caught on to the hype. I just purchased a laptop. A PC laptop. I want connetivity. I want software (free and retail). I want hardware. And I don't want to be limited to an unfortunately small batch of those items. Ah well. If you love 'em, go for it. They're just not for me.

Good story, btw, jay. Good lols.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #50 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used Macs at work, and never had much trouble with them. Still, I've never caught on to the hype. I just purchased a laptop. A PC laptop. I want connetivity. I want software (free and retail). I want hardware. And I don't want to be limited to an unfortunately small batch of those items. Ah well. If you love 'em, go for it. They're just not for me.

Good story, btw, jay. Good lols.

This is a non-issue. The new Core Duo Macs will literally run Mac OSX and any of its software in one window while running Windows and any of its software in another, at the same time. Without missing a beat. It's a very nice parlor trick, but pretty useless, as running Windows on a Mac is like running Chevy on a Lexus.

Tim

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #51 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a non-issue. The new Core Duo Macs will literally run Mac OSX and any of its software in one window while running Windows and any of its software in another, at the same time. Without missing a beat. It's a very nice parlor trick, but pretty useless, as running Windows on a Mac is like running Chevy on a Lexus.

Tim

So these Macs will run Crysis, World in Conflict, Autocad 2008, Adobe Audition in XP, in a window whilst running OSX in another ?
eek.gif

Pics ?

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #52 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank2k8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So these Macs will run Crysis, World in Conflict, Autocad 2008, Adobe Audition in XP, in a window whilst running OSX in another ?
eek.gif

Pics ?

You're intentionally hyperbolizing his point and distorting his meaning.

No one has yet named something common people can't do on a Mac because of software or hardware limitations.

The limitations that prevent Crysis, World in Conflict, Autocad 2008, Audition, XP, and OX all concurrently and usefully (if such a task is considered at all useful) apply equally to both Macs and competitor machines.

--Chris

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #53 of 159
Quote:

eek.gif

Pics ?

Not the mentioned applications in specific. But MS Windows XP, with a couple of random applications, on top of Mac OS 10.5.

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #54 of 159
There are solutions for the mac to run windows based software...

For me, I have found mac versions of all of my software except 2 things... Visio and MS Project. Yeah I know about omnigraffle and hate it.

Boot Camp... run windows natively on the intel macs
VMware fusion - free now
Parallels
Codeweavers Crossover (Professional packed distro of WINE)
X11 w/WINE

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #55 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're intentionally hyperbolizing his point and distorting his meaning.

No one has yet named something common people can't do on a Mac because of software or hardware limitations.

The limitations that prevent Crysis, World in Conflict, Autocad 2008, Audition, XP, and OX all concurrently and usefully (if such a task is considered at all useful) apply equally to both Macs and competitor machines.

--Chris

Not at all. What our friend said was a gross exaggeration. I have a Mac Book Pro, a 2.4ghz Core 2 one and if you run Parallels or another VM you can do lots of stuff, but not to the scale mentioned in his post.

By saying 'common people' you are suggesting that the average Mac User isn't going to be getting into processor intensive / memory intensive applications, which isn't the case. Many are creatives and XP or Vista in run in Parallels or other software to check for compatability in Windows.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #56 of 159
Quote:

Not at all. What our friend said was a gross exaggeration. I have a Mac Book Pro, a 2.4ghz Core 2 one and if you run Parallels or another VM you can do lots of stuff, but not to the scale mentioned in his post.

By saying 'common people' you are suggesting that the average Mac User isn't going to be getting into processor intensive / memory intensive applications, which isn't the case. Many are creatives and XP or Vista in run in Parallels or other software to check for compatability in Windows.

Thanks.

OK, let me re-phrase that: A core duo mac will run, in OSX or Windows, software for watching, listening, reading, writing, crunching, surfing, storing, categorizing, socializing, designing, and much more. If you just happen to be stuck on a Windows-based program or two, or just don't want to replace your current software, you'll be fine. Think of the possibilities: You could run the Windows version of Outlook in a window on your new Mac, giving you the opportunity to get it as full of crap as your PC ever was!

WARNING: There are a handful of Windows programs that will not run on the Mac. Probably not as many as will not run on Vista, but they're out there. Buyer beware and all of that.

Tim

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #57 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Play HDDVD's for starters. There are a number of things that don't work on Macs, you just have to know where to look. I can't help but laugh at the Mac commercials and zealot owners who think they can do no wrong, are rock solid, etc, etc. They have their flaws just like PC's. It's an even playing field these days whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Edit: no wonder I can't find the post I'm looking for, I'm on the wrong forum. Oh well, long time lurker making his firs post I guess
redface.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #60 of 159
Wait a few weeks and no comp will be able to play HD DVDs.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back