Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
May 19, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #106 of 979
Surprised to hear so much love for the sq of the APP for music compared to MTW2 and MW07. I am a big fan of the APP but sq for music is their worst quality. I still use them a ton but for music, I think the APP is average at best. My LP2 pro blow them away. I can appreciate the mid centric sound can be favored by some but to me they sound thin. Again not knocking the overall package - I agree they are great.
Your idea of sound quality is absolutely no tonal balance with boosted treble if that's the case. It's hard to grasp why somebody would think such a response to be considered good sound quality. The two have terrible tuning. I don't know what kind of stuff you heard, but there are stuff that SQ that matter and then there's TWS. All the ones you list are TWS with wonky boosted responses with V-shapes or nasty treble. I have heard various wired iems over the years, and TWS do not compare in SQ. I've shown evidence why the tuning of those two are crap, but all you have to say it's something 'blows away' something eles or sq is worse, bla bla. Given all this not buying what you are saying about LP2. I've even seen the crappy measurements.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #107 of 979
Your idea of sound quality is absolutely no tonal balance with boosted treble if that's the case. It's hard to grasp why somebody would think such a response to be considered good sound quality. The two have terrible tuning. I don't know what kind of stuff you heard, but there are stuff that SQ that matter and then there's TWS. All the ones you list are TWS with wonky boosted responses with V-shapes or nasty treble. I have heard various wired iems over the years, and TWS do not compare in SQ. I've shown evidence why the tuning of those two are crap, but all you have to say it's something 'blows away' something eles or sq is worse, bla bla. Given all this not buying what you are saying about LP2. I've even seen the crappy measurements.
Lol. My goal wasn't to start a flame war - settle down. Come over to the true wireless thread and discuss with us. Lots of love for the APP but sq for music is not their strength. In any event, to each their own and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I said I was surprised thats all. The general consensus is that sq for APP is mediocre. Most prefer the Sony in direct comparison. Doesnt mean everyone does. A little eq to tame the bass and the LP2 pro sound excellent. The MTW2 and MW07 are hands down the best sounding tws by a wide margin. Dont take my word for it. Read the hundreds of posts on the subject. APP is a great all arounder but not for sound quality.

May 19, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #108 of 979
Lol. My goal wasn't to start a flame war - settle down. Come over to the true wireless thread and discuss with us. Lots of love for the APP but sq for music is not their strength. In any event, to each their own and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I said I was surprised thats all. The general consensus is that sq for APP is mediocre. Most prefer the Sony in direct comparison. Doesnt mean everyone does. A little eq to tame the bass and the LP2 pro sound excellent. The MTW2 and MW07 are hands down the best sounding tws by a wide margin. Dont take my word for it. Read the hundreds of posts on the subject. APP is a great all arounder but not for sound quality.
If I wanted SQ I'd go with wired. You talk like you are hearing SQ with TWS. Those iems with boosted treble and bass is just boosted treble and bass. Unless that's SQ to you.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #111 of 979
Well, I come here for info on decent commendations, and boosted treble and bloated bass are not on my list.
Now you're losing credibility with me. The mw07 and mtw2 are well reviewed and loved by many. So to suggest that your opinion is fact is ridiculous. Clearly sorry I offered my opinion over here.

May 22, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #112 of 979
Picked mine up today, and after just a few hours of listening these are my overall impressions:

Design Execution

If you're looking at purely practical use - EDC (everyday carry) viability - these are stellar. They sync almost instantly and there's a plethora of features in the "info" icon on the iPhone Bluetooth settings. The force-press nubs are a bit more annoying than just tapping, but I think most would agree Apple has a winner.

Fit

This is 100% subjective and depends on one's individual ear canal. Personally, I have smaller ears and never had a fit issue with the original AirPods. The AirPods Pro have a slightly tighter fit with greater seal, but are actually slightly more comfortable over longer listening. I could probably keep these in for several hours which I can't say for many IEMs. Assuming a good fit, these'll perform well for working out or running.

Sound Impressions

Most of my listening was done with the ANC off. I feel a slight pressure from the ANC but nothing absurd. ANC produces a slight hissing sound similar to the type you might get with sensitive IEMs. You can't really hear it once you start playing music, but it's still there in the background if you listen very closely.

Bass: Decent DD bass. OK punch, lacks some rumble or extension in the sub-bass.

Mids: Clearly a mid-centric IEM to my ears. Vocals are smoothed out with minimal texture. Not great, but also not bad.

Highs: Just lacking something in general. Not as detailed as I would like - sorry, I suck at describing lol.

Overall, the sound is neutral-bright to my ears and a well-done "mainstream" sound. The AirPods Pros have a non-offending sound signature that most won't fault. Certainly not as bad as I've seen some people describe the AirPods Pros as being; to the contrary, I rather like the tone and prefer it to some of my other mid-fi IEMs (ie, Moondrop Blessing and Fearless S8 Pro; analytical and very aggressive, respectively). I can't deny that the AirPods Pro are a weak contender for technicalities though. I don't want to delve too much into this at the risk of exposing my noobness, but they're clearly not on the same level as even some $100 IEMs like the Moondrop Starfield/KXXS.

Some people have mentioned that they "don't get loud enough". I don't share the same sentiment; I can't get past even 50% without my ears hurting. I recommend checking the Health app, and under Hearing it'll show you your relative listening levels for most Apple products and some Bose ones. This is a really, really underrated feature that I wish more TWS had, and it's a great benchmark for tracking your listening levels. Protect your hearing!

CFEA7E95-207B-4605-9AAB-ECA54F57300B.png

Conclusion

I think there's a lot of people that fail to understand the intended use of a product. Comparing the AirPods Pro to dedicated IEMs is comparing apples and oranges. Inevitably, though, it'll happen - but that's not to say that the AirPods Pro are bad in terms of sound by any stretch. And to me, it seems that a lot of people - audiophiles specifically - are letting innate biasses direct their conclusions.

The Pros certainly don't deliver good sound quality for $250, but they're also not on the level of $25-$50 IEMs like some would have you believe. They sound just fine. To this effect, they're more than a viable option for anyone who wants a decent TWS set, and even more so if you're already in the Apple eco-system. My main concern at this point is actually the longevity of the rechargeable batteries they use.

Attachments

• DFE89A29-B846-48EF-B601-DDBDB5ADE83A.jpeg
    DFE89A29-B846-48EF-B601-DDBDB5ADE83A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FD406A8C-51DB-4772-B207-ACB9A54D0E44.jpeg
    FD406A8C-51DB-4772-B207-ACB9A54D0E44.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 6E4C5162-44DC-475C-86CE-DC612E01B764.jpeg
    6E4C5162-44DC-475C-86CE-DC612E01B764.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #113 of 979
One question in the round. I have the AirPods Pro, too. Comfortable to wear, quality, very happy with everything for the little things. Would like to use them more, but can't wear them anymore.

So after an hour it starts to itch massively in the ears. The skin turns red. During the night there is always fluid in the ears, which is extremely annoying. After a day without wearing it, the spitting is over again. With the AirPods without Pro I never had any problems. Think there is something in the rubber compound that causes the reaction. Have others had the same problem?

Well, I could try the deconis. But also expensive again, so I think wait for a new version and try it again. Otherwise I would not know any other solution. I already tried to disinfect the rubbers, but it didn't work.

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #114 of 979
One question in the round. I have the AirPods Pro, too. Comfortable to wear, quality, very happy with everything for the little things. Would like to use them more, but can't wear them anymore.

So after an hour it starts to itch massively in the ears. The skin turns red. During the night there is always fluid in the ears, which is extremely annoying. After a day without wearing it, the spitting is over again. With the AirPods without Pro I never had any problems. Think there is something in the rubber compound that causes the reaction. Have others had the same problem?

Well, I could try the deconis. But also expensive again, so I think wait for a new version and try it again. Otherwise I would not know any other solution. I already tried to disinfect the rubbers, but it didn't work.

I have an open sample set of Dekonis which my GF tried once each and didn’t like them.

I can happily send them to you for free.

DM me if you’re interested, I’m in Switzerland.

PS And you should see a doc :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #115 of 979
I have an open sample set of Dekonis which my GF tried once each and didn’t like them.

I can happily send them to you for free.

DM me if you’re interested, I’m in Switzerland.

PS And you should see a doc :wink:
I have had the same reaction with deconi for airpod pro they do not stay in as well; I do use deconi on my fiio fa7 with very good results.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #117 of 979
I heard Comply is annoyingly difficult to take off. What I hate about difficulty of taking off foam tips is the foam being easily tearable.
They were not hard for me to take off if you place your fingers correctly, but they need a more sticky material for them to remain in place. Airpods pro falling from your ear away from a home environment is a problem for me.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #118 of 979
They were not hard for me to take off if you place your fingers correctly, but they need a more sticky material for them to remain in place. Airpods pro falling from your ear away from a home environment is a problem for me.
I had some issues with the case not charging my left ear piece. Still under warranty so tried replacing both the earpieces and the case. I hope no issues from now on.

By the way, I updated to the latest 2D27 with an ipad. You connect with the case open, and shut it after connecting to the ipad (with the power cable connected to the case), and within 15min (it can be much quicker), the airpods updated itself. It alerts you that it's been updated by igniting the led indicator light and makes a sound.

I'm looking forward to official ios14 so that I can try out the surround sound

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #119 of 979
I used my friend's Airpods and I really don't think they're worth the price. You can get much better proper headphones and also IEM's for that price. Also, there's only so much you can do with bluetooth technology. It can't even stream 16/44.1 right. And good luck not losing them for more than a year.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #120 of 979
I used my friend's Airpods and I really don't think they're worth the price. You can get much better proper headphones and also IEM's for that price. Also, there's only so much you can do with bluetooth technology. It can't even stream 16/44.1 right. And good luck not losing them for more than a year.

"Better" headphones/IEMs implies that the non-sound aspects aren't a part of the "quality" of the headphones. Once you start to go into wireless there is clearly much more money spent on the tech/features/battery/reliability than the sound (not to mention comfort and build quality), which isn't always a bad thing IMO when these things start getting pretty complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back