Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Jul 5, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #121 of 979
"Better" headphones/IEMs implies that the non-sound aspects aren't a part of the "quality" of the headphones. Once you start to go into wireless there is clearly much more money spent on the tech/features/battery/reliability than the sound (not to mention comfort and build quality), which isn't always a bad thing IMO when these things start getting pretty complicated.
I agree the airpod pro comes close enough to my dedicated wired iem's to use and appreciate their use when away from home. The improvements being made in micro-electronics for consumer products has been outstanding with more improvements forthcoming.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #122 of 979
I used my friend's Airpods and I really don't think they're worth the price. You can get much better proper headphones and also IEM's for that price. Also, there's only so much you can do with bluetooth technology. It can't even stream 16/44.1 right. And good luck not losing them for more than a year.

The AirPods pro is having close to flat / neutral frequency response. Many people don't appreciating this type of frequency / tonal balance and thinking wrongly that the sound isn't very good when is in reality better than many earphones and headphones some that are more expensive.

In blind tests the majority of people can't hearing the difference between lossless and lossy bitrates, and this is true even with 192kbps (and 128kbps!) files. Is similar problem with hd and normal cd quality files. The big difference in this case is the quality of the master and recording and not if it's hd or cd quality.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #123 of 979
The AirPods pro is having close to flat / neutral frequency response. Many people don't appreciating this type of frequency / tonal balance and thinking wrongly that the sound isn't very good when is in reality better than many earphones and headphones some that are more expensive.

In blind tests the majority of people can't hearing the difference between lossless and lossy bitrates, and this is true even with 192kbps (and 128kbps!) files. Is similar problem with hd and normal cd quality files. The big difference in this case is the quality of the master and recording and not if it's hd or cd quality.
It is interesting that my favorite IEMs all sound pretty much the same as the Airpod Pros. Of course there are refinements to be had which largely are due to lack of compression.

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #124 of 979

It is astonishing that some know about iem's and very little about recording. The year of the recording and its mastering is as important as what you listen with.

I agree with you about the lossless debate. :)

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #125 of 979

Something's got to be wrong with your ears if nasty boosted treble and boosted bloated bass from weak sauce wireless amping is perceived as sound quality. There are so many crappy tuned TWS out there. Pretty much 99.9% of them are a big waste of time no matter how cheap they are. They got some really nasty frequency responses.

Collecting TWS is pretty dumb as well. There no reason to have multiple different types of them. Why would you want bunch of crappy sounding BT sound devices that battery will degrade as a collection?

I just use one good one worth keeping (AirPods Pro) that has practical value, and it's all I need. APP are much better engineered than lots of crap for TWS out there. It's easy to tell some people either cannot judge or have enough experience to know what is worth it as SQ or not. It's priced the way it is due to ANC quality, as there is nothing out there within the price point that really compares with non-nasty frequency response within the TWS domain. If one is in the Apple ecosystem, they are well taken care of as an owner of APP with the software updates, and the addition of new features Apple has added such as auto-switching and surround sound for movies.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #126 of 979
I had some issues with the case not charging my left ear piece. Still under warranty so tried replacing both the earpieces and the case. I hope no issues from now on.

By the way, I updated to the latest 2D27 with an ipad. You connect with the case open, and shut it after connecting to the ipad (with the power cable connected to the case), and within 15min (it can be much quicker), the airpods updated itself. It alerts you that it's been updated by igniting the led indicator light and makes a sound.

I'm looking forward to official ios14 so that I can try out the surround sound

Just has same result of left pod not charging twice. So annoying when you find out, out on a run without case or phone. When home, opened and close case a few times, wriggle about and it charged back up to 100 percent. Strange! Have tried putting deoxit on at weekend and see if it makes a difference, doubt it as everything looks spotless.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #127 of 979
Just has same result of left pod not charging twice. So annoying when you find out, out on a run without case or phone. When home, opened and close case a few times, wriggle about and it charged back up to 100 percent. Strange! Have tried putting deoxit on at weekend and see if it makes a difference, doubt it as everything looks spotless.
I use deoxit as well; you might want to try going settings and remove airpods pro totally and then go to the case back and use thee reset button for 15 seconds and then reinstall.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #128 of 979
I use deoxit as well; you might want to try going settings and remove airpods pro totally and then go to the case back and use thee reset button for 15 seconds and then reinstall.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try because I just remembered another oddity that is definitely software. When I start, one side is noticeably louder than the other, but soon as I alter volume slightly, it corrects itself!

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #129 of 979
That's exactly when I find out it's not charged. For a while I didn't even know that it wasn't charged. The left side would not make sound, and ANC would not activated when I put them on. When I put each piece back in the case, the indicator light would show that left side being low charge, and right in green. Then I realized something was up with the case charger. I'm wondering if it's just a firmware fix or machanical issue with the charging pin at the bottom that the metal in the stem has to touch. If it's the mechanics, it's really sad that they neglected such a crucial part of the design.

If you have to wiggle it to get it to charge, that's a huge oversight in design. I replaced the case under warranty for possibility of it being isolated cases for particular sets of cases from production. Will see if I run into such issue again.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #130 of 979
Thanks, I’ll give that a try because I just remembered another oddity that is definitely software. When I start, one side is noticeably louder than the other, but soon as I alter volume slightly, it corrects itself!
I had a few problems of switching between pause, anc ,and transparency and what I described did help my described problems. :)

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #131 of 979
Charging problems could be checked by going to settings and bluetooth settings to make sure iem is NOT being used. I have found when either airpod pro or powerbeats pro were apparently charging they were in fact not because they were still showing 'in use'. Might be a software or firmware glitch.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #132 of 979
Most TWS still have either too much boosted bass & treble or sucked out mid or just have un-natural sound tuning. I have tried Momemtum TW 1/2, Jabra 75t and Sony WF-1000XM3), in the end I find AirPods Pro is still the best. Being TWS, the sound quality cannot match against a good set of headphones/iems but they have a neutral and balanced sound quality that works. Besides, the anc is great and there’s no battery or connection issues. It is the still best TWS given the current wireless technology and what’s available now.

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #133 of 979
Most TWS still have either too much boosted bass & treble or sucked out mid or just have un-natural sound tuning. I have tried Momemtum TW 1/2, Jabra 75t and Sony WF-1000XM3), in the end I find AirPods Pro is still the best. Being TWS, the sound quality cannot match against a good set of headphones/iems but they have a neutral and balanced sound quality that works. Besides, the anc is great and there’s no battery or connection issues. It is the still best TWS given the current wireless technology and what’s available now.
I am now using both airpod pro and powerbeats pro for my travel away from home and all night horizontal listening and for 90% of wll that I listen to it is excellent. For better music listening for that 10% of dedicated music I use fiio q5 matched to sony mdr 1am2 or fiio fa7. :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #134 of 979
I am now using both airpod pro and powerbeats pro for my travel away from home and all night horizontal listening and for 90% of wll that I listen to it is excellent. For better music listening for that 10% of dedicated music I use fiio q5 matched to sony mdr 1am2 or fiio fa7. :)

Yeah, it’s so nice without the wires and enjoy music listening anytime anywhere with the AirPods Pro. I leave my 64 Audio and dap at home for the time being :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #135 of 979
My wife went through 2 left pod replacements with the same issue and I was finally able to convince them to replace the pod and the case. So far, so good. Although the sound quality is great for what they are, I still worry about the overall reliability given all the tech thrown in like the in ear auto eq which plays up sometimes.

That's exactly when I find out it's not charged. For a while I didn't even know that it wasn't charged. The left side would not make sound, and ANC would not activated when I put them on. When I put each piece back in the case, the indicator light would show that left side being low charge, and right in green. Then I realized something was up with the case charger. I'm wondering if it's just a firmware fix or machanical issue with the charging pin at the bottom that the metal in the stem has to touch. If it's the mechanics, it's really sad that they neglected such a crucial part of the design.

If you have to wiggle it to get it to charge, that's a huge oversight in design. I replaced the case under warranty for possibility of it being isolated cases for particular sets of cases from production. Will see if I run into such issue again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back