Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #91 of 979
If yall are into the sufficent mids and smoother nature of APP, avoid Master & Dynamic tuning. I recently tried the MW07 and the treble was really emphasized, I couldn't enjoy the music. There is more bass, but the bass was bloated due to the increase. I belive it was the same with the WFXM3, sounding bloated with higher quantity. Bass should be at reasonable level that the amp can control with the weak amps in TWS IMO. That mountain of treble hits you with crap load of sssssssibilence. As you'll can see it's the most perfect example of V-shape with any mids definition.

graph (1).png

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #93 of 979
Just updated to the 2D15 firmware. ANC isn't noisy anymore (compared to 2C54). Transparency mode isn't hissy anymore. Overall sound is more balanced, with a very slight boost in the mids so that it's either a shallow U-shape or a very very slight W-shape (the mid hump is very shallow if it even exists). It honestly sounds more at ease/comfortable. This is with the middle-sized silicone tips, btw.

May 7, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #94 of 979
Just updated to the 2D15 firmware. ANC isn't noisy anymore (compared to 2C54). Transparency mode isn't hissy anymore. Overall sound is more balanced, with a very slight boost in the mids so that it's either a shallow U-shape or a very very slight W-shape (the mid hump is very shallow if it even exists). It honestly sounds more at ease/comfortable. This is with the middle-sized silicone tips, btw.

Can you explaining please when you're saying "ANC isn't noisy anymore"? I know isn't easy speaking of the change in the sound because probably you can't comparing 2 pairs, one with the new and one with the old firmware. But can you explaining little more from your memory the differences in the sound you're hearing, for the bass, mids and the treble?

Thank you.

May 9, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #95 of 979
So during silence, when ANC was turned on, there was a buzzing/crackling sound occasionally on one side (it switched back and forth between left and right). A lot of people reported this. The new firmware fixed this problem. As to your second question, my best explanation for the old sound was that it had moments where it sounded muffly or midbass-heavy. The mids sounded recessed sometimes, because of the heightened bass/treble. I don't think they were actually recessed because I've heard what recessed mids sound like. Treble got somewhat peaky for me as well. Not for every song, but occasionally. 2D15 changed this by lowering the bass and treble, which may have brought more attention to the mids.

May 10, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #96 of 979
Airpods Pro 'S' and 'T' report. To any googlers out there struggling to find that specific piece of information, i have good news: They are not sharp or piercing, they're rather normal i'd say. They're there obviously, but not in a hurtful way.

Android, sbc, no updates (that i know of, haven't connected them to any apple stuff)

Question: If i get an iPhone, will they automatically get updated? They work and sound fine, not looking to screw them up with updates just yet..

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #97 of 979
Airpods Pro 'S' and 'T' report. To any googlers out there struggling to find that specific piece of information, i have good news: They are not sharp or piercing, they're rather normal i'd say. They're there obviously, but not in a hurtful way.

Android, sbc, no updates (that i know of, haven't connected them to any apple stuff)

Question: If i get an iPhone, will they automatically get updated? They work and sound fine, not looking to screw them up with updates just yet..
I tried couple of other TWS lately, and none of them have the balance sound of APP. Momentum 2 wireless has treble peaks that gets fatiguing real fast as with M&D's nasty treble. Momentum 2 wireless ANC is not even comparable either. It seems a lot of the TWS are tuned V-shaped to be consumer friendly tuning of boosting treble with fake details, and ironically, APP tuning hasn't succumbed to it. Great job Apple!

There's nothing out there that compares in terms of sound tuning and ANC performance for TWS. APP is the best TWS out there. In the next one, at minimum I expect earpiece battery life extension.

We'll see what Bose can do. If they can't shrink their earpiece packaging, I have no interest unless they can do significantly better in ANC, in which I have doubts.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #98 of 979
being a strict non-apple person, I did try the airpods pro yesterday, which my girlfriend bought for herself.
I have to say it's really a great product. The comfort ist supreme. Non intrusive. It feels like they are barely there, while still being pretty secure.
Sound quality is better than expected, pretty neutral, maybe a tad bright for my own preference. Detail retrival is good enough.
Also I didn't expect such strong NC performance for such a tiny piece.

Makes me really question my IEMs in the $150-700 price range. The sum of APP features is really a strong package.
Kinda makes it hard for me to use my way less comfortable IEMs again. Thinking of seeling some of them.

May 14, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #99 of 979
One more thing: That adaptive eq thing does "wobble" the sound a tiny bit while there's movement. If you're sensitive you'll notice.

May 19, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #100 of 979
The Apple AirPods Pro. Hype or serious audiophile sound? We find out today

https://www.headfonia.com/apple-airpods-pro-review/
being a strict non-apple person, I did try the airpods pro yesterday, which my girlfriend bought for herself.
I have to say it's really a great product. The comfort ist supreme. Non intrusive. It feels like they are barely there, while still being pretty secure.
Sound quality is better than expected, pretty neutral, maybe a tad bright for my own preference. Detail retrival is good enough.
Also I didn't expect such strong NC performance for such a tiny piece.

Makes me really question my IEMs in the $150-700 price range. The sum of APP features is really a strong package.
Kinda makes it hard for me to use my way less comfortable IEMs again. Thinking of seeling some of them.

I find the Apple AirPods Pro embarrassingly good…

For those owning iOS devices—they are pretty much king in terms of functionality and portability.

Call me deaf, but in terms of sound I, likewise, struggle to see the relevance of most headphones and IEMs I tried, barred some worth more than 1k—and still—some in this price range are just marginally better.

May 19, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #101 of 979
I'm very happy with the AirPod Pro too. The sound especially with SoundID (Sonarworks next-gen True-Fi) is really very good. The microphones are only beaten by the Bose NC700. The noise cancelling in 2D15 is worse than my Sony WM1000XM3 or Bose NC700 but not that much so I reach for the AirPod Pro way more than either. Finally they are most comfortable phones whether over-ears, IEM or TWS.

The achilles heal is the battery life per time (4 hours is not long enough for me) and longevity.... and dirt in those grills.

May 19, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #102 of 979
I'm very happy with the AirPod Pro too. The sound especially with SoundID (Sonarworks next-gen True-Fi) is really very good. The microphones are only beaten by the Bose NC700. The noise cancelling in 2D15 is worse than my Sony WM1000XM3 or Bose NC700 but not that much so I reach for the AirPod Pro way more than either. Finally they are most comfortable phones whether over-ears, IEM or TWS.

The achilles heal is the battery life per time (4 hours is not long enough for me) and longevity.... and dirt in those grills.
I don't know if they can increase the battery life significantly and keep the size so small at the same time. I know Samsung has rediculously long battery life of 11hrs for a TWS, and it's form factor is quite flush against the concha. I think the Samsung buds housing has a larger volume inside and that provides space for a larger battery. I do prefer Samsung's formfactor better, and I wouldn't mind if Apple went with such a formfactor and got rid of the stem (although I find the force switch on the stem very useful).

I do like the APP as a package. Small, light with natural transparency mode tonality, and the package just feels good in the hand. It's a nice design. I think it has good sound quality, and I don't understand when people talk about sound stage with these TWS devices like there's really a difference. I compared Momentum TWS and there really isn't any noticibel difference in sound stage. What I do notice however is the treble rise on Momentum TWS that cause listening fitigue. Also the transparency mode is terrible, the controls of tapping is stupid, it's bulky that sticks out and not stable. ANC performs poorly as well.

APP is the superior to any TWS product out there.

Momentum TW2 frequency response https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=gre_nada&logNo=221958141534&navType=tl
젠하이저 모멘텀 트루 와이어리스 2 MTW2 이어폰 측정치 - 네이버 블로그 5-19-2020 2-12-50 PM.png

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #103 of 979
I had the first gen momentum tw. It was my first TW and disappointment. Too bulky and uncomfortable. Sound is a generic v-shaped tuning. This might impress at first but becomes fatigueing. The battery issue (losing charge within days) is just terrible for such an expensive product. I kinda lost interest in the TW market after selling them. Though the APP restored my interest and are now on my short list

May 19, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #104 of 979
I had the first gen momentum tw. It was my first TW and disappointment. Too bulky and uncomfortable. Sound is a generic v-shaped tuning. This might impress at first but becomes fatigueing. The battery issue (losing charge within days) is just terrible for such an expensive product. I kinda lost interest in the TW market after selling them. Though the APP restored my interest and are now on my short list

The Momentum made a splash because it was the first TW that actually sounded decent for people who don't want to give up too much in SQ for the convenience, this tends to make people forgive the software bugs. It set the bar higher for all products in an emerging category despite its flaws.

May 19, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #105 of 979
Surprised to hear so much love for the sq of the APP for music compared to MTW2 and MW07. I am a big fan of the APP but sq for music is their worst quality. I still use them a ton but for music, I think the APP is average at best. My LP2 pro blow them away. I can appreciate the mid centric sound can be favored by some but to me they sound thin. Again not knocking the overall package - I agree they are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back