Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Jul 7, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #901 of 979
I'm agree with you, the APP 2 is offering true excellent sound quality, and is true too that is still very difficult for many people, in a forum like this, recognising that a brand like Apple is giving this type of sound quality, a sound that is better, like I saying before in this thread, than many (more expensive) wired earphones and headphones.

I thinks it’s easy to not take apple seriously for audiophile quality sound but some us forget they can afford and employ some of the best audio engineers in the world and on top of that they have a large amount of in house anechoic chambers to play with.

AirPods Pro shouldn’t be treated like the “ancient” wired earpods, transparency, noise cancellation, special audio and driver quality is arguably the best available right now.

Stick them in your ears and go for a long walk in the sun, you’ll soon forget about big heavy hot amplifiers and megabuck digital to analog converters.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #902 of 979
I thinks it’s easy to not take apple seriously for audiophile quality sound but some us forget they can afford and employ some of the best audio engineers in the world and on top of that they have a large amount of in house anechoic chambers to play with.

Not only that, but I'm sure that several of the people at Apple responsible for developing this product actually paying real attention to good sound quality, meaning that they probably have some of the best speakers and top end (summit fi) headphones as reference and studying different critical aspects of audio.

AirPods Pro shouldn’t be treated like the “ancient” wired earpods, transparency, noise cancellation, special audio and driver quality is arguably the best available right now.

Actually, the recent (releasing at the same time as APP 2) Bose QuietComfort Erabuds II have (little) better ANC than the APP 2 (I owning the QCE II before and returning quickly after comparing with APP 2), but the sound quality, transparency, physical size (truly pocketable) and, if in Apple ecosystem, spatial audio too, APP 2, for me, is the very clear more better choice.

Stick them in your ears and go for a long walk in the sun, you’ll soon forget about big heavy hot amplifiers and megabuck digital to analog converters.

...or going walking in the evening, or early morning before the sun is rising...and having this device fitting in the small front pocket of your jeans is...brilliant.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #903 of 979
Oh for sure. About 4 years ago Apple poached the engineer from B&W who lead the engineering of the Nautilus loudspeakers, for those who don't know they're widely considered some of the best speakers in the world.

That's just one I know about, I'm sure they've done similar with companies like Sennheiser/Sony, giving engineers offers they can't refuse. Seems likely their audio products will only improve from here on out.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #906 of 979
Only if you care for better quality of:
1. sound
2. ANC
3. battery life
+ volume control/swipe controls on the stems
:wink:

But is it worth the asking price if you already got the 1st gen? Not so sure

Yep. The Pro2 is solid. They sound significantly better, fit better, play longer, have arguably the best noise cancellation of all TWS buds and feature very useful touch controls.

I use mine when walking my dog. They’re optimal for that.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #908 of 979
even sound quality alone its smoother in upper mids and lower treble, less distortion and more robust sub bass.
I really wish Apple would just add a simple EQ to them though. I feel that they have just a touch too much bass and would much prefer if they had like 3dB less bass. I've tried doing custom settings under headphone accommodations, but it just doesn't seem like it does what I want.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #909 of 979
I really wish Apple would just add a simple EQ to them though. I feel that they have just a touch too much bass and would much prefer if they had like 3dB less bass. I've tried doing custom settings under headphone accommodations, but it just doesn't seem like it does what I want.

I feel like for outdoor use that level of bass is important for cutting through any noise the cancelling cant eliminate, but I agree tastes are different and you should able to customise EQ settings. They have so many good accessibility settings for audio its puzzling why a proper EQ is missing.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #910 of 979
I feel like for outdoor use that level of bass is important for cutting through any noise the cancelling cant eliminate, but I agree tastes are different and you should able to customise EQ settings. They have so many good accessibility settings for audio its puzzling why a proper EQ is missing.
Yea, I may try the Sony Linkbuds S tomorrow. On sale at Best Buy for $149 and they have a decent EQ in their app.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #911 of 979
I feel like for outdoor use that level of bass is important for cutting through any noise the cancelling cant eliminate, but I agree tastes are different and you should able to customise EQ settings. They have so many good accessibility settings for audio it’s puzzling why a proper EQ is missing.
I would attribute that to Apple’s desire to appeal to the mainstream. Granted, this is something that any non-niche company does.

My take is that EQ is not “simple” enough in Apple’a eyes. Too many bars and switches.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #912 of 979
I would attribute that to Apple’s desire to appeal to the mainstream. Granted, this is something that any non-niche company does.

My take is that EQ is not “simple” enough in Apple’a eyes. Too many bars and switches.
They could even just do a very simple 5 band, and it's not like they would have to force people to use it. Just give people the option. Otherwise I like the AirPods Pro 2's. super comfy, good battery life, small case, good ANC/transparency modes.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #913 of 979

I’m not sure that’s the only factor. A lot of audiophile headphones actually lack proper bass levels and lift treble, so they will sound bassy to a lot of people but it’s not boomy is actually controlled and textured.

It’s a nicely balanced sound imo with a bump in the sub bass which I’m certain is done to be more audible outdoors, Sennheiser did the same with the IE800. Just like with high end car Audio a different tuning is done purposely to be more audible on the road.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #914 of 979
I’m not sure that’s the only factor. A lot of audiophile headphones actually lack proper bass levels and lift treble, so they will sound bassy to a lot of people but it’s not boomy is actually controlled and textured.

It’s a nicely balanced sound imo with a bump in the sub bass which I’m certain is done to be more audible outdoors, Sennheiser did the same with the IE800. Just like with high end car Audio a different tuning is done purposely to be more audible on the road.
What if you're not using them outdoors or in an environment that's not even that noisy? Having a simple basic EQ should be a basic requirement for bluetooth buds. We are on head-fi because we are all audio enthusiasts, and a simple EQ would help a lot of us in our audio enjoyment.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #915 of 979
What if you're not using them outdoors or in an environment that's not even that noisy? Having a simple basic EQ should be a basic requirement for bluetooth buds. We are on head-fi because we are all audio enthusiasts, and a simple EQ would help a lot of us in our audio enjoyment.
We are. Not the primary audience of the AirPods.

For what it’s worth, I agree with you. Even if I don’t use customization features very often, I use them enough to miss them at times. I’m just postulating why things people here would take for granted don’t exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back