Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #241 of 979
Do you guys have issues with charge sometimes? I've had issue where one side is not charged at times. I'm wondering if it's due to the case oriented so gravity would not pull the earphones down to make enough contact to charge them? I wonder if there is an upright case to keep them oriented a certain way. Or perhaps the neutral orientation works fine? I'm curious if it's better to have something that keeps it oriented upright to keep the earphones down for best contact for charging.

For improved design I wish they would use magnets to seat the charge contacts with certainty. I think most TWS has magnetic contact so that no matter which orientation, the earphones are contacted for charge.
It happened with me once or twice at max. Since it hasn't happened recently so I couldn't find the root cause of it but probably I didn't keep one of the Airpod properly in case, maybe

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #242 of 979
Do you guys have issues with charge sometimes? I've had issue where one side is not charged at times. I'm wondering if it's due to the case oriented so gravity would not pull the earphones down to make enough contact to charge them? I wonder if there is an upright case to keep them oriented a certain way. Or perhaps the neutral orientation works fine? I'm curious if it's better to have something that keeps it oriented upright to keep the earphones down for best contact for charging.

For improved design I wish they would use magnets to seat the charge contacts with certainty. I think most TWS has magnetic contact so that no matter which orientation, the earphones are contacted for charge.
The Pros have a pretty good magnet, so the only time I've had that happen is if the tips are a little deformed from being in my ears and they don't sit down all the way. The other time is if the case battery is low and I didn't realize it. But it has only happened once or twice.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #243 of 979
Dec 9, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #244 of 979
Personally I haven't used the ear tip seal test but once or twice when it was released. With most IEMs, we know when we have a seal based on the sound, and speaking generally we haven't had a need for similar tests with most IEMs. I tend to know if I have a seal or not based on the feel in the ear and the presence/lack of bass, and I'm willing to guess that's true for many/most.

Like SparkOnShore said, those tips will be the grippiest you can find for the APP, but the additional grip can sometimes make it a hair more challenging for me to get the initial seal when putting them in cold. The stock tips can seal and grip reasonably well for me, but the Xelastex are kinda like applying Loctite: once you get the seal, you're set for anything.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #245 of 979
Personally I haven't used the ear tip seal test but once or twice when it was released. With most IEMs, we know when we have a seal based on the sound, and speaking generally we haven't had a need for similar tests with most IEMs. I tend to know if I have a seal or not based on the feel in the ear and the presence/lack of bass, and I'm willing to guess that's true for many/most.

Like SparkOnShore said, those tips will be the grippiest you can find for the APP, but the additional grip can sometimes make it a hair more challenging for me to get the initial seal when putting them in cold. The stock tips can seal and grip reasonably well for me, but the Xelastex are kinda like applying Loctite: once you get the seal, you're set for anything.
problem for me is that the stock tips can certainly get a good seal initially, but in due time they will move away from the canal entrance, I guess due to the ear getting little slippery or kind of sweaty. Stock tips cannot maintain a seal for one hour straight let’s say, by any means. But xelastec does so without any problem.
And yes, you need to push xelastec tips and keep them there smoothly (a massaging type of movement so to say), for a few seconds until they get the temperature of your body. When cold they provide no seal at all. But after more or less one minute they get stuck and they never move away.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #246 of 979

Huh? They DO have magnets that seat them pretty tightly in the case. The charging contacts seems pretty forgiving nonetheless.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #247 of 979
I think anymore we do not need to occupy with our AirPods pro, AirPods Max are out and most probably they will offer some awesome sound quality experience, for sure better than some tiny buds with their millions inconsistencies are able to. Max will be a very successful audio product I believe, since most probably Apple has worked on quality and nc issues of their previous headphones.

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #248 of 979

What's frustrated me with the ear tip seal test is in the beginning it said I had a good seal, but it never again did it regardless of what I tried. I know very well when I have a good seal without using the test, though it baffles me why the test now always fails.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #249 of 979
I've just received another pair as a replacement, this time for loss of ANC (corresponding to Apple's published exchanged program). This pair has the recessed vents - so there's clearly been a hardware revision. My wild guess is that all of the non-recessed samples are susceptible to suffer from these issues.
We'll see down the road if that one proves more reliable, but I have a little question regarding sound quality. Has anyone who received the newer revision noticed a slight change in SQ at lower frequencies ? It would make sense that a hardware change that affected this vent could modify a little bit the performance of the lower frequencies because that vent is connected to a chamber that acts as front venting for the driver (there is no microphone behind it, it's just an acoustics thing). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if Apple had to introduce a hardware revision they changed a few more aspects of the design.
I mean, maybe it's placebo, but I still have the older pair to compare so...
A great news is that with so many returns I have plenty of brand new tips...

Dec 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #250 of 979
Huh? They DO have magnets that seat them pretty tightly in the case. The charging contacts seems pretty forgiving nonetheless.
You guys are right, there are magnets, but the design with APP is different from ones that the magnets are right in the area of the charging contacts. I can feel there are magnets behind the white surface, but not the same as those just strongly get adhered with magnets where contacts are. APP contacts are at the bottom and there must be some trouble making contact if placed oriented different. That was my point. I don't know how else to explain one side could be charged and not the other?

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #251 of 979
I have tried them all and these ones are the best you can get, with enormous grip. I recommend these ones:
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/azla-xelastec-tpe-soft-eartips-for-airpods-pro
After seeing your post, I ordered a set from Amazon. They were pricey, but they absolutely work great exactly as you described. I've spent a ton of money on bad tips for the Airpods Pro that didnt' work. Until now, I couldn't get the ear tips test to have a "good" seal. Now, I get it and these IEMs are loaded with bass like I never knew.

Interestingly, I also got my Pros replaced due to the static issue reported earlier in this thread. I went in through the Chat line and Apple just sent me a new pair. This new pair was already significantly better in sound quality than my originals that I purchased in Feb of this year. I am not sure if the quality improvement was fixing the known issues in the originals or if the new technology made a difference. Couple this with the improved sound quality due to a proper seal and I now have a high quality pair of earphones from Apple. In any event, if these IEMs sounded back in March like I do now, I may have never tried so many earphones and headphones. I certainly would have felt no need to purchase the Sony WF-1000xm3 IEMs that I have sitting in its case getting next no no use. I guess that problem was a blessing in disguise.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #252 of 979
I got an iPhone 12 Mini and a pair of the AirPods Pro 2 weeks ago. With the Headphone Accommodations on and set to “balanced tone” they sound great. Today I received the pack of Comply foam tips I had ordered a few days ago from Amazon. I like what these did to the sound and so far they are comfortable.

With the Headphone Accommodations set to balanced tone, I thought they were just a hair on the brighter side of what I really prefer, but the Comply tips tamed the brightness just a hair and seems to have made the bass a tad more impactful as well. To me this sounds great. I’m usually not one to prefer foam tips, but I think I’m going to enjoy this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back