Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Oct 21, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #226 of 979
The original tips works quite well when I first insert them and provides a good enough seal. The biggest problem for me is that they slip out over time. This is perhaps more to do with the design of the tips (shorter than ie. Shure) and not so much the size and material. I now got the original silicone tips and three sizes of generic foam tips. I chose the large tips based on the size of my Shure tips, but since the APP tips are shorter and doesn't go very far into the ears, maybe I need a smaller size. The Shure foam tips are squeezed before insertion and always slightly larger than the ear canal, but the APP tips doesn't go as far in the ear, and the canal is cone-shaped.

I'll play around with different sizes and see which might sit there better. Maybe even the original APP medium tips will work better.

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #230 of 979
I just got my Airpods Pro a few weeks ago, and so far they've been excellent. I love how clear the highs are, however I wish there was more bass.

Seems quite balanced sound. You want more than was intended on the recording?

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #234 of 979
So it may appear that there may have been a slight hardware change to the grill that faces towards the user's ear with more recent copies of the APP :

Screenshot 2020-11-07 at 09.13.57.png

Source : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpods-pro-rattlegate.2233658/page-18

It appears to now be slightly recessed (jeez why didn't they think of that when designing it, it's quite obvious that a flush grill would be the ideal collector for ear gunk).

Mines were recently replaced for an unrelated problem but were manufactured a little too early for that change to have happened.

The APPs are IMO one of the most stereotypical "Apple first gen" products they've made in years : both utterly brillant and so flawed :D.

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #235 of 979
Just an FYI. For anyone experiencing rattlegate please make sure to contact Apple through message or by phone or by going into an Apple store, they will most likely replace it no problem. Also, if you have any older Airpods Pro they may eventually develop the rattle.

I visited the Apple store today and they told me it’s “hopefully” fixed in these new versions as it was just a “software bug”.

We’ll see.

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #236 of 979
I just bought the Apple AirPods Pro and it seems I could not get a good seal with any of the silicon tips provided. When I use the large tips I get a good seal for the right ear approx. 75% of the times but not for the left ear. Of course, I can not get a good seal with the medium and small tips for any ear. I used the Apple Ear Tip Fit Test.

I am thinking of buying this Comply set of memory foam tips: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B088KQS8T8/, the large ones. Do you guys think I would be able to get a better seal with them and pass the Apple Ear Tip Fit Test?

P.S. I also have the Shure SE846CL IEMs and I use them with the large stock memory foam tips.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #237 of 979
I just bought the Apple AirPods Pro and it seems I could not get a good seal with any of the silicon tips provided. When I use the large tips I get a good seal for the right ear approx. 75% of the times but not for the left ear. Of course, I can not get a good seal with the medium and small tips for any ear. I used the Apple Ear Tip Fit Test.

I am thinking of buying this Comply set of memory foam tips: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B088KQS8T8/, the large ones. Do you guys think I would be able to get a better seal with them and pass the Apple Ear Tip Fit Test?

P.S. I also have the Shure SE846CL IEMs and I use them with the large stock memory foam tips.
I have tried them all and these ones are the best you can get, with enormous grip. I recommend these ones:
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/azla-xelastec-tpe-soft-eartips-for-airpods-pro

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #239 of 979
Have you gotten a green fit test with them? I bought the assorted pack and they seem like they fit, but I still get yellow test results.
Yes it’s green. You need to wait for a few seconds meanwhile pushing them lightly in your ear so that they will adjust to your ear’s temperature. This way they get softer and create a seal. I use the ML.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #240 of 979
Do you guys have issues with charge sometimes? I've had issue where one side is not charged at times. I'm wondering if it's due to the case oriented so gravity would not pull the earphones down to make enough contact to charge them? I wonder if there is an upright case to keep them oriented a certain way. Or perhaps the neutral orientation works fine? I'm curious if it's better to have something that keeps it oriented upright to keep the earphones down for best contact for charging.

For improved design I wish they would use magnets to seat the charge contacts with certainty. I think most TWS has magnetic contact so that no matter which orientation, the earphones are contacted for charge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back