Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Mar 8, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #316 of 361
  Would this make a worthwhile upgrade coming from an Apogee One (original edition) driving HD600s ?

To answer my own question – it almost certainly does. I've returned the HD600s and so can't say for sure how much different they would have sounded connected to the Groove, but I switched to AKG702 in the meantime which already sounded superb when attached to the One. With the Groove, it's now in a whole other league. This little stick is soooo much fun, not because it boosts any particular frequency, but because it makes everything sound so damn real and smooth!

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #317 of 361
Just received a groove today myself. And for those with multi-ba iems, don't count this little guy out. I actually hadn't seen their note about them before I ordered it. The constant current amp intrigued me. And I like the theory behind it. Plus Ive been looking for something small to use on the go. Mostly with my new Zeus XRA. So when I saw their note and then read some of the issues, I was a bit worried. However I plugged it in today and they work fine together. I also have some 64 audio I can try. So far I'm impressed. Can't say it makes a huge difference in my Zeus, but my over the ear cans are definitely punchier and more life like. I'll post more thoughts after some more time. I will try the 64's asap and report back. For those that may want to try that combo.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #320 of 361
Hi

Has anybody given this a go with the usb3 port on windows I have an ak jr and only usb3 ports (the akjr dac function does not support usb3 port function ), so Iam looking for another DAC

cheers

Mine is plugged into a USB 3.0 port on my Dell Precision 7510 running windows 10. It has worked flawlessly for me.

May 24, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #322 of 361
So Windows 10 Creators Update has built in support for USB Audio Class 2. Has anybody tried it? Any statements from Apogee? The Groove came with a driver because prior Windows version didn't have native support...

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #323 of 361
I posted something about this DAC on the HD800S thread, I'll copy here for those who are interested....

Apogee Groove vs Audioquest Dragonfly Red:

So far, I have tried the HD800S with two portable dac/amps, the Apogee Groove and the Dragonfly Red. I came away with the following conclusion after extensive A/B testing. The Dragonfly Red sounds more transparent and clear than the Apogee Groove, but it doesn't get loud enough for a lot of songs I tried. The Apogee Groove sounds pretty decent, but it's a tiny bit more tame with the sound stage and also a little less detailed than the Dragonfly Red. The Apogee Groove does drive the HD800S very well, with it getting louder than I need on any music I threw on. Bass feels stronger with the Apogee Groove. I think the "constant current drive" they are using in the Apogee Grove is working pretty well for the HD800S, but the DAC is better in the Dragonfly Red. The Apogee Groove uses a 28bit ESS Sabre DAC, the Dragonfly Red uses one of the newer 32bit ESS Sabre32 DACs with bit perfect volume control. Apogee also makes a Groove "Anniversary Edition" in gold or silver that uses the same 32bit DAC that the Dragonfly Red uses, so that would be the best of both worlds - but they charge a ridiculous $600 for it, double what the regular Groove costs. I would grab the anniversary edition in a heartbeat if I found it used for around $300. I have settled on the regular Apogee Grove as my portable solution to use with my android phone and the HD800S.

Anyone own the anniversary edition with the improved DAC? If so, how does it sound compared to the regular? Can't seem to find one of those used anywhere...

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #324 of 361
I just picked up an Apogee Groove (standard black one.) My overall impression is very warm and detailed! No issues with noise, hum, or interference with this unit. It works great with my iPad and my Android tablet or Mac computer. It drives my HD650's perfectly and works well as a source component with my tube amp. I turn down the volume 8 notches to get the output to be close to 2volts to match a standard CD player.

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #325 of 361
I've had my Groove since the first of the year and I enjoy it very much. I mainly use it with my T90's and 400i's. I've never been much of a believer in burn in, most of the equipment I've ever had has settled in within 100 hours, but up until about month and half ago, I wasn't impressed with the transparency of the Groove compared to my Dragonfly 1.2. I still don't think it's quite as transparent but it does everything else better. Much more drive, images are more rounded out and solid, and a greater sense of space.

It really changed the presentation of my T90's, even compared to my Icon. My T90's have a more balanced sound and not so treble forward. I highly recommend it to T90 owners.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #326 of 361
I posted something about this DAC on the HD800S thread, I'll copy here for those who are interested....

Apogee Groove vs Audioquest Dragonfly Red:

So far, I have tried the HD800S with two portable dac/amps, the Apogee Groove and the Dragonfly Red. I came away with the following conclusion after extensive A/B testing. The Dragonfly Red sounds more transparent and clear than the Apogee Groove, but it doesn't get loud enough for a lot of songs I tried. The Apogee Groove sounds pretty decent, but it's a tiny bit more tame with the sound stage and also a little less detailed than the Dragonfly Red. The Apogee Groove does drive the HD800S very well, with it getting louder than I need on any music I threw on. Bass feels stronger with the Apogee Groove. I think the "constant current drive" they are using in the Apogee Grove is working pretty well for the HD800S, but the DAC is better in the Dragonfly Red. The Apogee Groove uses a 28bit ESS Sabre DAC, the Dragonfly Red uses one of the newer 32bit ESS Sabre32 DACs with bit perfect volume control. Apogee also makes a Groove "Anniversary Edition" in gold or silver that uses the same 32bit DAC that the Dragonfly Red uses, so that would be the best of both worlds - but they charge a ridiculous $600 for it, double what the regular Groove costs. I would grab the anniversary edition in a heartbeat if I found it used for around $300. I have settled on the regular Apogee Grove as my portable solution to use with my android phone and the HD800S.

Anyone own the anniversary edition with the improved DAC? If so, how does it sound compared to the regular? Can't seem to find one of those used anywhere...
You are wrong on the chips. Apogee is using 9016s which is the desktop level dac chip, total 8 channels while dfr is the mobile version of 9016, which only 2 channels totally.

9016s and 9016k2m/q2m are different things. One for desktop one for mobile, and it should be the one of the reasons apogee groove running hot as it put a desktop dac chip into a small body.

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #327 of 361
You are wrong on the chips. Apogee is using 9016s which is the desktop level dac chip, total 8 channels while dfr is the mobile version of 9016, which only 2 channels totally.

9016s and 9016k2m/q2m are different things. One for desktop one for mobile, and it should be the one of the reasons apogee groove running hot as it put a desktop dac chip into a small body.
Research it, from what I understand only the anniversary edition uses that chip. The regular/black version uses a 28bit chip. There is a teardown picture showing the chip on the black one and a post somewhere in a forum where an Apogee employee mentions that only the anniversary edition uses the 9016 chip and their marketing fails to discern between the two editions.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #328 of 361
Research it, from what I understand only the anniversary edition uses that chip. The regular/black version uses a 28bit chip. There is a teardown picture showing the chip on the black one and a post somewhere in a forum where an Apogee employee mentions that only the anniversary edition uses the 9016 chip and their marketing fails to discern between the two editions.
That is not correct and please also research on apogee using the desktop level chip too. It basically means 1 dac in apogee groove = 4 dac chips in dragonfly red. the team in china opened up apogee not the annevesary edtion
http://mobile.soomal.com/doc/20200006852.htm

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #329 of 361
Also you want to see the 18.4% distortion at high volume from dragonfly red
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ly_say_hi_to_184_thd/?st=J5QWX77V&sh=1c07ee56

https://m.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboar...&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=69

Again, you don’t even know what is desktop version chip what is mobile version chip. please do the research on ess chip offical website and understand what is 8 channel dac chip and what is 2 channel version that is mainly used in the mobile phone.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #330 of 361
That is not correct and please also research on apogee using the desktop level chip too. It basically means 1 dac in apogee groove = 4 dac chips in dragonfly red. the team in china opened up apogee not the annevesary edtion
http://mobile.soomal.com/doc/20200006852.htm
So, this is the teardown I was referring to, thanks for linking it.

It shows that the Apogee Groove black is using the ESS ES9018S chip. It seems like you are really informed about this, so I will defer to you. I had just based my review on what I had researched and still can't figure out why there is so much confusion about the chip it uses. The picture shows it pretty clearly, but where are the specs for this chip? I found specs for the ES9018, but not the ES9018S.

There is a review about the anniversary edition using a better chip than the black, and they mention that it is the ES9016, which I believe is the same as the dragonfly red. I think you're saying that the Groove uses a desktop chip vs the DFR's mobile chip, which makes sense. But, the black would use a lesser quality chip than the anniversary edition, right? That doesn't make sense if the black is using the 9018 as seen in the teardown, since that would make it a better chip than the 9016? It's too bad Apogee doesn't just list the exact specs of the black vs. the anniversary edition. I'm very curious to find out the exact differences between the black and anniversary, so if you have any official info about that, please share!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back