Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Sep 17, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #301 of 361

Got my HD800S earlier today, can confirm that the Apogee Groove does indeed drive them fine.  They sound fantastic.  Im sure it is not a perfect pairing, but its a great portable solution.  I think the best part about the Groove is that its super sleek and compact (unlike the chord mojo), plug and play, and only has 2 buttons.  Simple and just works.  I love it.  Still my favorite HiFi purchase.

​what is your protable set up, just I noticed they say it isn't usbotg compatable and I assume youre not carrying a laptop in your pocket?

I think portable you really mean portable.  My portable setup is my macbook pro with the Apogee Groove.  I live in SoCal so I have never taken public transit before, if I'm traveling for business that is the setup I bring with me.  I guess I don't have a truly portable setup.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #302 of 361

I think portable you really mean portable.  My portable setup is my macbook pro with the Apogee Groove.  I live in SoCal so I have never taken public transit before, if I'm traveling for business that is the setup I bring with me.  I guess I don't have a truly portable setup.

​ahhhh.  yeah I meant you using, while in motion.

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #303 of 361
Direct copy pasta from the HD650 thread of my impression of the Groove:

Used the HD650 all afternoon with the stock tubes in the Gungnir/Mjolnir 2, they sound wonderful.  Directly comparing switching back and forth with Apogee Groove, they sound very close.  Surprisingly, the Apogee groove sounds better to me.  Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes vs Apogee Groove, Groove wins. 

Treble is better, sound stage is a bit better, sounds bigger.  Base is a bit less, barely noticeable, very hard to tell apart the difference.  Mids are almost indistinguishable.  Both sound extremely amazing.  The Apogee Groove sounds like they "opened up" the headphones.

This also makes sense, as Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes is...tube.  I think tube is just a smoother more relaxed sound while solid state is much more dynamic and punchy, but I don't need to tell you experts that.  Very interesting comparison.  Very hard to hear the difference, the thing that jumped out at me the most is how the treble sparkled much more with the Apogee Groove, but not harsh at all.  No wonder Sennheiser bundled it together.  Great combo!!!!

Hates off to Apogee to make a device that can pretty much go toe to toe with the big boy Mjolnir 2.  Im impressed, and am very happy with both despite the Mjolnir 2 not sounding significantly better than the Groove, it can do things for the HD800S that the Groove cannot, but that requires a bit more listening and direct comparison.

I am going to post this now so I have this opinion in text so I can refer to it.  If I find time, I will compare Apogee Groove vs Mjolnir 2 with the LISST tubes.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #304 of 361
Not trying to be a jerk or condescending, however in music low frequency is bass, not base. JFYI

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #305 of 361
Have read almost every post :D so I pulled the trigger to order the Black Friday combo HD650 + Apogee Groove from Sennheiser UK, it is supposed to be with me on this Tuesday. Hope they work fine to my ears then I do not have to return. What I really want to ask is whether anyone has used the Groove with the Apple Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter to stack with an iPhone yet?

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?afid=p238%7CsZZJKxuOm-dt_mtid_187079nc38483_pcrid_104154899041_&cid=aos-uk-kwgo-pla-btb-slid--product-MK0W2ZM/A-UK

This one is supposed to help the idevices to, at the same time, export data and get charged.

And has anyone paired this with Sony XBA Z5? If yes then how do they sound?

Would be more than happy if these are all fine. Thanks a bunch everyone.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #306 of 361
Have read almost every post
biggrin.gif
so I pulled the trigger to order the Black Friday combo HD650 + Apogee Groove from Sennheiser UK, it is supposed to be with me on this Tuesday. Hope they work fine to my ears then I do not have to return. What I really want to ask is whether anyone has used the Groove with the Apple Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter to stack with an iPhone yet?

Yes.
There is a thread dedicated to discussion on the Apple Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter. See post #58 where I confirmed success with Apogee Groove.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #311 of 361
This guy mentioned that Groove's dac is better than iFi Micro iDSD which I happen to own one right now. Do you think it is a worthy upgrade for HD650? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDFE2LkjJ4

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #312 of 361
This guy mentioned that Groove's dac is better than iFi Micro iDSD which I happen to own one right now. Do you think it is a worthy upgrade for HD650? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDFE2LkjJ4

I will audition the micro iDSD this weekend, will try to bring up some kind of indirect comparison if possible (Just sold the Groove recently so cannot A/B them). Just in case you can relate, the Groove falls a bit short to the HA2SE in punches and soundstage when I compared them directly using HD650. Cheers.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #315 of 361
No there are more.  The volume LEDs have varying brighnesses too.  That being said, I never counded how many steps in brightness there are before the next LED lights up.  Also, when plugged into a computer, changing the the volume in your app or OS passes the commands to the Groove so it stays bit perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back